+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a simple hypothetical question

lasoje13

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
hypothetically what if you still worked after visa expired
simply a hypothetical question here

What would happen to/stop someone from continuing to use the sin number they were given on their IEC program after it has expired past the one year mark?

I am reading online about people who forget to renew their card for years and still get paid and never have an issue woth that .

Also I read about people who use sin to get paid without any work permit .

Does sin actually ever expire or is it only expiring for legal use?

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The employee and the employer are breaking the law.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SINs beginning with "9" expire. Working past the validity of a SIN and/or work permit is illegal and makes you deportable from Canada.

Short answer is that anyone who works illegally is jeopardizing their chances of some day becoming a Canadian PR.

lasoje13

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
But I am reading stories online from people who had used their "expired" sin's and got paid without any issues for years . Cra doesn't share any info with cic or cbsa for immigration purposes . It is on their website . So lets just say the employer doesn't verify validity of sin and employee starts working he will still be paid from my understanding

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
Nothing happens as lasoje13 said CRA doesn't share any info with CIC so technically even if you are on a closed work permit and suddenly you will decide to work for someone else your employer still can pay your taxes, cpp, ei and other. To be honest they won't find you unless:
1) your employer realize that your SIN number expired and he will report you&himself to CIC but most likely he won't do that because he would be responsible too;
2) you will tell someone that your SIN expired and you don't have status in Canada and they will report you to CIC;
3) you committed serious crime or u had serious accident at work and need treatment but don't have money;

Otherwise as stated if police will catch you for some minor issue they won't check your immigration status. The only disadvantage is that you won't be able to go anywhere in this matter airport or border = deportation.

lasoje13

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
So the more I read online about expired sin numbers the more I think they don't expire actually . So if someone who has expired work permit and expired sin decided to work again but illegally they will be able to. Am I right?

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sin numbers that start with 9 expire. If anyone would break the law as you are saying, would they not rather be paid under the table and not have a paper trail ?