+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A refugee with previous degree

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
991Faisal said:
Hello.

Can a refugee use his previous college degree from his country. in Canada?
Yes he can. A degree/diploma/education has nothing todo with the status.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
991Faisal said:
but he can get employment? consider his degree was obtained outside of Canada .
Yes.... whats wrong in getting a job even if the degree is obtained from outside of canada? i know many refugees who successfully got jobs using their home country degrees. a graduate is a graduate, a master is a master. There are certain employments which are highly regulated and require some extra studies or up-gradation to work in that particular field, for example a doctor. on the other hand if someone is looking for a bank job, administrative job or any other normal office or field jobs and has relevant job experience and education then he is fine to compete any related job.

991Faisal

Mar 23, 2016
kriv said:
Yes.... whats wrong in getting a job even if the degree is obtained from outside of canada? i know many refugees who successfully got jobs using their home country degrees. a graduate is a graduate, a master is a master. There are certain employments which are highly regulated and require some extra studies or up-gradation to work in that particular field, for example a doctor. on the other hand if someone is looking for a bank job, administrative job or any other normal office or field jobs and has relevant job experience and education then he is fine to compete any related job.
Thanks a lot for your informations

is it necessary to be graduated from an accredited program for some occupations
or it doesn't matter if it's accredited or not

anyone could help?

991Faisal

Mar 23, 2016
Hello guys

as I'm browsing the internet I read this in the news ...

>The 24-year-old said he wanted to continue working as an engineer, but acknowledged that he may need more diplomas wherever he ended up.

>“It’s very difficult to have access to health services, to social rights, to have your diploma recognised."

>In France, many of those who arrive as engineers or accountants end up washing dishes in restaurants, delivering pizzas or job-hunting.

is this REAL that educated people can't find a job because their degrees can't be recognised? Im confused !!

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
991Faisal said:
No one can help !!
Your request is way too vague. Diplomas from other countries can be less recognized by employers but that's true or not based on the country, the university and the diploma itself (and also some employers' ideas).

Some professions face that problem more than others, people from some countries face that problem more than others, you would need to be very specific to get more help.

Overall diplomas (and more importantly experience) acquired in foreign countries tend to be recognized but it is not always the case and it is more or less true based on quite a few factors.

991Faisal

Mar 23, 2016
Naheulbeuck said:
Your request is way too vague. Diplomas from other countries can be less recognized by employers but that's true or not based on the country, the university and the diploma itself (and also some employers' ideas).

Some professions face that problem more than others, people from some countries face that problem more than others, you would need to be very specific to get more help.

Overall diplomas (and more importantly experience) acquired in foreign countries tend to be recognized but it is not always the case and it is more or less true based on quite a few factors.
thanks a lot for the informations

does it need to be from recognised and accredited program?
and I'm majoring in psychology ,studying in Saudi Arabia

I just don't want to study for nothing

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
991Faisal said:
thanks a lot for the informations

does it need to be from recognised and accredited program?
and I'm majoring in psychology ,studying in Saudi Arabia

I just don't want to study for nothing
To my understanding: your degree will have to be recognized by the company/university/country you will go. For example: If someone wanted to immigrated to Canada under Express Entry or skilled program, he/she would have assess the education they had before coming to Canada.

I take it, it would be the same for refugee as well. You could actually check one of the threads about WES evaluation and determine whether it’s worth it for you to study or not.

That being said, if your ultimate goal is to come to Canada as refugee then; I would save up all that money/ time and come study here.

991Faisal

Mar 23, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
To my understanding: your degree will have to be recognized by the company/university/country you will go. For example: If someone wanted to immigrated to Canada under Express Entry or skilled program, he/she would have assess the education they had before coming to Canada.

I take it, it would be the same for refugee as well. You could actually check one of the threads about WES evaluation and determine whether it’s worth it for you to study or not.

That being said, if your ultimate goal is to come to Canada as refugee then; I would save up all that money/ time and come study here.
yes if someone wants to immigrate or to further his or her studies they need to assess the credential they have
it would be the same for refugees I think
but does i need to be graduated from a an accredited program to get a job that's the question

I wish studying in Canada would be that easy. it's too much money ... here in my country i have free education
and Statistics in Canada says that only 20% of the refugees complete their studies

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
991Faisal said:
but does i need to be graduated from a an accredited program to get a job that's the question
Hi,

You can get jobs in Canada that don’t require higher education. It’s just depends on what kind of jobs you’re looking for; obviously you want be able to be a doctor or lawyer for example, without the proper credentials and licensing. You can work in Tim Hortons or MacDonald you can get something will pay your bills until you get your education assessed.
You can easily find job, but in case you wanted to work in specific field, then this will require lot of work from you. Some education is not well credited in Canada especially if you studied in different language other than English or if the curriculum/standard level is different.

If you’re from Saudi Arabia you can come study in Canada, I knew few people that get scholarship from their government.

Good luck