+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Plethora of Questions: Working, status, etc etc (CIC not much help)

Tort

Jan 30, 2017
Hello!!

I am a US citizen working on getting my permanent residency. I am currently in Canada, and I have been since 2015 (with visitor extensions, no issues, no additional questions/documentations required or requested).

NOTE: I am aware those answering my question(s) are not responsible for the outcome, and are simply giving me advice/provide their experience(s) and opinions.

I have not sent my application yet, there are a few things bothering me...

Let's start with an easier question
1: Proof of relationship/proof my spouse can provide for me

I am living in Canada currently, Quebec to be specific. My wife has been providing for me for almost 2 years just fine. She pays her taxes and they had asked about me, and provided taxes to provide for me. I was wondering if it would be acceptable for her to use these tax forms as proof of our residency together and as proof that she can support me.

What other forms would be acceptable proof that she can support me?? She gets really great tips but of course tips are not documented, what proof can she provide??

Also: They ask for some form of proof that I live here as well, the only real thing I can provide are letters. Would letters from my lawyers in the USA be sufficient, since it's pretty official (if ya ask me)?? I will be providing my visitor extention letter as proof, but they need 2 forms of proof.

NOTE: CIC person simply told me: If you cannot provide what they are asking for, provide a letter. Which this answer did not answer the above questions well enough, to me at least.

-------------------------------------

2: Working (Okay, hear me out!!)

While filing for visitor extension, they asked what my occupation was, I don't actually have one since I am not allowed to work as a visitor, however, I am a free-lance artist who does NOT work for any company or even locally, I simply do digital work online for whoever asks for it, if they choose to pay (it's more or less tip-pay) then fantastic, if not, then I'm pretty aware of it, it's almost as though someone asked me to clean their house or pet-sit, and they tip me as a thank you. Everytime I have filed for the extension, I have put that I am a free-lance artist/graphic design artist, when it asks the date "From" and "To", on "To" I had put w/e date it was that day/the present day, since I do this whenever.

My problem is, what is advised in answering the question on Permanent Residency application form IMM0008, Generic Application, page 3 question 3 "Current Occupation: " what to state, or at least what is best, considering the fact I had written "free-lance artist/graphic design artist" on my visitor extension, however on the extention it said to "Start with my most recent" or at least along those lines, not "Current Occupation".... please note: I did not ever say "Present" when it asked "From > To", I simply put the current date, so therefore I had "stopped".

I had spoken to a lawyer who said: in my OPINION, anyone with visitor status is not allowed to perform any sort of work

He advised me to call CIC, as I had told him I had spoken to someone (I could not remember if it was CIC or another lawyer) about the same thing and they said to simply provide an explanation letter.

Well, here is where it gets sticky...

I called CIC... they could not provide a clear answer (of course). They said: they want what is on the documents/document checklist, if you cannot provide those documents you need to provide a letter explaining why.

That didn't really answer my question, it did, but did not. I can understand what she told me and why, but I want to make sure the immigration officer knows that I do NOT work for any one, no company, not for Canadians, and I have not sold or worked for/to any Canadian (not even online), yet, I want to stay consistent, obviously, with my visitor extension information. I DO NOT want them to think I actually work (what terms should I use when discussing this by the way, instead of "work"??).

So I am wondering now, if I should simply put "N/A" considering I do not actually work, and on my other application(s) I have not said "Present" on working, and instead provided that current date. When they ask for current occupation, I assume they want/mean a legitimate job, and if I do write anything other than "N/A" or "None currently" then they might in-fact consider that an official job, which this is not.

SIDE QUESTION: As for "Intended Occupation" would it be acceptable to put "Professional Artist", I am not in nay way "professional" but rather a hobbyist-artist/graphic design artist, would they understand what I mean by "Professional Artist" ?? I looked up the specific terms for jobs, but I'd like to be more professional and work on animations, web-design, film, you name it, all I would like to do, hence why I did not put a specific intention, but instead a "Professional Artist". Would it be alright if I put "Intend to go back to school for: xyz", because I have thought of going back to school to finish my Graphic Design to obtain a degree, or become an Animal Trainer of sorts.

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Hi there, my husband and I are in a similar boat. We have not applied for his residency application just yet but we have everything we need. Just trying to iron out the work permit while his application gets processed part. That's where CIC was unable to help me either, being so vague.

But I can provide some insight on to your first question regarding proof of relationship/proof of income. I have been supporting my husband since December 2014 just fine. At first, we didn't have much to go on to provide proof then besides letters of support from our friends and family as we both traveled to visit and meet them before moving in together, joint bank statements as I added him onto my account, my tax return "Option C," a letter from my employer confirming my employment and salary, and I also added him as a secondary driver on my vehicle insurance.

Now that we are married, as of October 2016, we have our legal marriage certificate, both of our names on the condo lease, he is listed as my beneficiary under my employment insurance, and he was also able to attain provincial health care coverage.

All of that along with numerous photos of our relationship until now, the marriage, and the fact that we are now expecting, would most definitely help our application and I hope this helps you in your endeavor. I don't think you can send them too much information as they need to prove the relationship is genuine.

Tort

Jan 30, 2017
Thank you for replying, Cupcake, and congratulations!!

Well I am super happy for you guys that it seems to be going smoothly, I tend to over-think (as I think we all do at some point when doing these things), and this relieves me. Unfortunately I am not on any of her things such as bank accounts and what not. Our home is actually owned by her father, we just pay rent to him, so there is no actual lease, as for car insurance I was unsure since I was a foreigner if I could be named as a second driver, we don't have any other proof they're looking for, I think. I am on her taxes, we were planning on sending that part of the tax form(s) and maybe a letter or two, proving our love is genuine & proof of relationship. We got married in 2015, when I came here.

Think it would be okay if we did do the bank thing and car thing and send it ASAP with the application?? It wouldn't be too soon, would it?? I mean, I think they wouldn't have much of a choice to just accept it or not, since it IS proof. Otherwise we'll probably just send the tax form(s) and a letter or two along with pictures with everyone.

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
I am the over-thinker as well and have thoroughly researched everything I could about having to prove our relationship. I forgot to note that we are also sending in photocopies of our airline tickets to visit one another, tickets to events we have attended together (with photo proof), vacation airline tickets, chat logs, telephone calls, Skype logs, etc. As I said, it's never *too* much information lol. This is the one part where people have trouble with is the proof but I also think that since you are married, it helps a lot.

But yes, I suggest that you get your name under vehicle insurance, bank accounts, employment insurance, etc. as soon as you can before you send it out. It does prove that you're listed as being together and maybe include a letter as to why the delay in adding you onto them just in case. Another suggestion would be to get a notarized letter from her father regarding the house rental so that he can confirm you have been living there with your wife since xxxx date and explain as to why there is no need for a formal agreement.

Best of luck to you!