+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A parent who wants to accompany her minor child for study

Qblitz

Mar 11, 2020
Hello,

I need a guide on how to apply for Visa for a parent that wants to accompany her minor child to Canada for study

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
There is no guide for parents. Assume you have a study permit for your child with a Canadian guardian. You apply for a visitor visa to help them settle and then you return home.

Reactions: YVR123

Qblitz

Mar 11, 2020
I thought a parent can either accompany a minor child or appoint a custodian. So I'm planning to take the first option, do I still need to choose a custodian. I have already submitted the study permit application for the said child without choosing any custodian.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I thought a parent can either accompany a minor child or appoint a custodian. So I'm planning to take the first option, do I still need to choose a custodian. I have already submitted the study permit application for the said child without choosing any custodian.
How old is your child? You cannot apply for a study permit without a Canadian guardian if your child is under 18. So find a private school where the school will take on guardianship or find someone you know in Canada. You can’t live in Canada with your child. You can’t choose the first option - come with parent or legal guardian - unless you have legal status in Canada (work permit, study permit).

Last edited:

Qblitz

Mar 11, 2020
How old is your child? You cannot apply for a study permit without a Canadian guardian if your child is under 18. So find a private school where the school will take on guardianship or find someone you know in Canada. You can’t live in Canada with your child. You can’t choose the first option - come with parent or legal guardian - unless you have legal status in Canada (work permit, study permit).
My child is 16 years going for an undergraduate program in university of Manitoba.
Now that I have already submitted the application, can I still fill the custodian form and send to IRCC via web form?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My child is 16 years going for an undergraduate program in university of Manitoba.
Now that I have already submitted the application, can I still fill the custodian form and send to IRCC via web form?
U of M doesn’t provide custodianship. Do you have a Canadian custodian?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is this for September? When does your child turn 17. Whether a custodian is required is determined on a case by case basis as per guidelines. You still need a visitor visa and written authorization to travel to accompany your child.

Qblitz

Mar 11, 2020
Is this for September? When does your child turn 17. Whether a custodian is required is determined on a case by case basis as per guidelines. You still need a visitor visa and written authorization to travel to accompany your child.
He will turn 17 next year February. I submitted letter of consent signed by his father and notarized at a public notary here in Nigeria, stating his consent for his wife to accompany his son to Canada.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I think you were required to submit the Custodian form with the application (IMM 5646). You run the risk of your application being rejected without this form.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because of his age, parents are required to have a Canadian custodian. Having a notarized consent for the mother to bring her son to Canada has no bearing. She may be able to come with him if she has an approved visitor visa and written authorization to travel. You can wait to see if his study permit is accepted. Then his mother can apply for written authorization to travel, if she has an approved study permit. But written authorizations are given to reunite with family in Canada, and her son will have not even settled in Canada yet.

Qblitz

Mar 11, 2020
Because of his age, parents are required to have a Canadian custodian. Having a notarized consent for the mother to bring her son to Canada has no bearing. She may be able to come with him if she has an approved visitor visa and written authorization to travel. You can wait to see if his study permit is accepted. Then his mother can apply for written authorization to travel, if she has an approved study permit. But written authorizations are given to reunite with family in Canada, and her son will have not even settled in Canada yet.
I don't want to risk anything here. Should I just look for a custodian, fill the form and send to IRCC via web form?