+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A "Lost Canadian"

mature

Sep 15, 2014
I was born outside Canada in 1946 to a Canadian-born mother and a non-Canadian father.
I always retained close relations with Canada, went to university here, worked for a while and married a Canadian wife. After the 2009 reform of the citizenship act I applied to get proof of citizenship only to be told that because my Mother had me while she still had British subject status (i.e. before the Canadian Citizenship Act went into effect on January 1, 1947) and because I was born in wedlock she could not pass me her Canadian citizenship (even though she herself became a Canadian citizen on that date).
I read that Bill C-24, extended citizenship to those born before 1947, to a parent (regardless of gender) who became a citizen on January 1st, 1947 and they themselves did not become citizens on that date.
In my understanding I can now apply again but the confusion surrounding the date Bill C-24 comes into effect has held me back. Are the provisions concerning the last of the “Lost Canadians” already in effect or are they in limbo? If the latter, when are they expected to come into effect? If CIC tarries much longer I am afraid that -since we are all in an age group very near or over 70-, it might not be of much use to us after all!

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
I am in the same boat - born in wedlock, pre-1947 to a Canadian Mother, non Canadian father. I have applied and have been informed from Ottawa that the Lost Canadian part of Bill C-24 comes into effect late May. My application will sit there until they start proceedings. However, I have also been told that there is provision in the Bill for those Lost Canadians who would like to apply for a Grant of Citizenship i.e. a 5.4, they can do so. This means that if successful, your citizenship would be dated from the date of the issuance of a 5.4. If you wait until they start proceedings in May, your citizenship would be dated from 1947 or 1949 if your parent was from Newfoundland. The only difference I can see in the two is the cost. The cost of applying for the latter is CDN$75. the cost for the 5.4 I think (although I could be wrong) is CDN$400.

Why make us wait a year when the procedure is in place from the previous Bill C-37, I have no idea, especially when one part of the Bill came into effect on Royal Assent (June 19th).

Let me know if I can help further.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for your response. Why make us wait indeed? The call agents at CIC either don't know, or won't tell you any definitive date. At least they could make a formal announcement and put it up on the site..
Well, good luck with the 5.4 if you choose to go that way. I think I'll wait for for May. After all I have waited for several decades...

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the government has had the ability to make discretionary 5.4 grants to deserving Lost Canadians all along and has often failed to do so.

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
'Why make us wait indeed!'. It is unfair as we have been waiting for several years already. I had an email from Ottawa when I queried why the wait when the procedures were already there for the previous Bill. Their return comment was that those procedures only applied to Bill C-37 and Bill C-24 is different. Can't see it myself, but as the saying goes - 'you can't fight city hall!'

My request for a 5.4 went in early September. So far I have heard nothing. By the time they get around to deciding it will probably be near May anyway, so will wait.

I would suggest that even though you will wait until May, you get your forms and certificates in before that date to be in the queue.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
I called CIC today and asked for the date that Bill C24 Lost Canadians provisions related to my case (born abroad before 1947 to a Canadian mother and non-Canadian father) will come into effect. After a very long wait I got the answer that they will become effective on June 19th 2015. I decided to post this information not so much for the small number of members of this forum who are in a situation identical to mine but because I believe that confirms the general scenario that all provisions of this Bill will become effective this summer

99Shadowrider

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2012
AOR Received.
18-11-2012
File Transfer...
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
23-05-2013
Just curious as to whether an application submitted now will be decided under current law or will CIC hold the application until the new law comes into effect. I submitted an application in December.

My situation is that I am first generation born to my father who had moved to the states prior to 1947. He served in the US Army during the war and became a naturalized US citizen. He never renounced Canadian citizenship.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
I asked exactly this question and the answer was that if I submit an application now it will be decided under the current law and it will be rejected. They will not keep it in file and examine it after June 19th 2015 in the light of Bill C24 who, for the first time, gives me the right to citizenship.