Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Hi again everyone.

So, as I was filling out my application for an OWP to include with my inland application, I realized that the first the I applied for a work permit I currently hold a closed work permit I received with an LMO) I think I put that I was '' single.'' I remember interpreting the instructions back then then to mean that I didn't need to put common law unless my fiance was immigrating with me. Since he's Canadian I didn't thing it mattered for some reason. Now that I've had to include my UCI/client ID from that work permit on my common law application, I'm really worried about the fact that I just put single back then. Do you guys think it will be a problem? I'm pretty stressed out about it right now, and hope that if the CIC wonders about it they will call and I will be able to explain that it was an innocent mistake... Or maybe it's not that big of a deal?

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Hey there,
How long ago was "back then"? Have you been living together for a year since that time?
My partner came to Canada on a working holiday visa as a single person. We have done an outland sponsorship as we were common law only after living together for one year. Our relationship is much longer than that. Now he is back at home waiting for it to go through.
I think you can explain this if they ask. And I'm sure you have lots of proof of your relationship. That's what they are looking for, evidence that you are for real.
Hope that helps.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it can cause a problem if you put single when you applied for a work permit and then put a common law partner out of a hat all of a sudden. Just marry him, then your problem is solved :) Or if you did not have 12 months together at the point you applied for your work permit, you are also ok because less than 12 months is not considered common law for immigration anyway.

The risk is that they see your listing yourself as a single person on your work permit not as an innocent mistake but a ploy to deceive immigration because it may have affected your approval for a work permit if they had known that you have a Canadian partner.

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Oh no :(

I received my closed work permit December 27, 2012, so just 3 months ago.

My fiancé and I have lived together and shared bank accounts, credit cards, and have travelled a lot together since September 2008, and I have lots of documentation to prove it.

I really don't know what I was thinking then. I just thought for some reason that since he was a Canadian and not another immigrant that it didn't matter if he was on the work permit paperwork or not.

Should I put a note in my application explaining my mistake, or should I just hope that they don't make a big deal of it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no idea how seriously they will treat this mistake of yours. You could try to explain it now or you could hope they don't notice and try to explain it if they do. PMM might know more about what happens in such cases.

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM is a senior member here, It was an honest mistake on your part so I wouldn't worry too much about it till they ask you for an explanation. As long as you have proof that you are indeed in common law. There are many things to get worried about but its best to just stay positive, there's not much you can do about it now.

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
I would love to hear from a senior member!! Hopefully one sees this posting.

We have lots and a lots of proof... I really, really hope they understand. This is going to bother me the whole 6 moths. I thought I would be able to relax once I got this thing in the mail, now because of one honest to goodness mistake I'm going to be so worried.

I guess you're right, provide them will all of my proof and keep my fingers crossed. I shouldn't just put it out there "hey, check out my mistake." I should just wait to see if they wonder about it.

Right? :'(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MonikaR said:
I would love to hear from a senior member!! Hopefully one sees this posting.

We have lots and a lots of proof... I really, really hope they understand. This is going to bother me the whole 6 moths. I thought I would be able to relax once I got this thing in the mail, now because of one honest to goodness mistake I'm going to be so worried.

I guess you're right, provide them will all of my proof and keep my fingers crossed. I shouldn't just put it out there "hey, check out my mistake." I should just wait to see if they wonder about it.

Right? :'(
Yes, I think you are right. You didn't notice the mistake ;) so if they ask you about it, you will be hearing about it for the first time and are all surprised that you could make such a stupid mistake on your application because of course you were in a common law relationship at that time.

In any case, if you are US, I am sure they would not have refused you a work permit anyway because you had a Canadian partner because you are visa exempt and not considered a risk to overstay anyway so it is not a mistake that would have affected your work permit at all.

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Haha thank you Leon. I just hope they don't outright deny me PR because of it without asking me about it. But... only time will tell! Hopefully with all of the proof of our relationship I'm giving them they won't be able to deny that our love is really real.

What a dumb mistake!!!! :-[ Oh my goodness. Sometimes I really wonder what's going on in my head! ??? haha

Once again thank you to everyone for the replies... Any more advice for me?!

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LOL I don't think they will deny your pr just because u ticked a wrong box. You didn't do it with bad intentions so I think you are fine! I used to worry a lot too and I can tell you it doesn't help. Just follow the guides, double check and triple check all your forms and send all common-law relationship proof. Also remember people can order half paninis. lol

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
HAHAHA half paninis OMG thank you, I really laughed and I needed that ;D

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
People get into trouble when they try to "interpret" the questions instead of answering them as they are. The question of marital status is pretty straight forward: you are either single(no spouse/common-law partner) or you are married/in a common-law relationship.

You were not single, so what does his Canadian citizenship have to do with any of that? You misrepresented your marital status, whether wilful or not and that could be a problem. Instead of hoping for the best, consult a lawyer and see what they say.

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I think the last poster is correct... I would not leave it to chance. (If you applying Inland there is no appeal process, so I don't know that it's a good idea to leave things to "maybe".) Call an experienced attorney. I would feel it's worth the consultation fee.

Hope things all work out for you.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
MonikaR said:
I remember interpreting the instructions back then then to mean that I didn't need to put common law unless my fiance was immigrating with me. Since he's Canadian I didn't thing it mattered for some reason.
The thing is it's NOT about the fact that "well, he's Canadian already", rather it's because you said you're single when you weren't (and I wouldn't say 'oh silly me, I ticked the wrong box' either). I agree with the previous two posts, albeit IF this amounts to the same as a PR landing without 'declaring' a spouse or common law partner, I'm not sure a lawyer can change the "exclusion" policy of ever being sponsored under the Family Class. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.