+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A little help with TWP and LMO's?

jellyfish

Jan 20, 2010
Hello!

I've here in Canada on a Working Holiday Program visa since July '09.

Earlier this week, while personally delivering resumes to a variety of companies, one company interviewed me on the spot and asked me to come in this upcoming Monday to work.

While overly excited, I'm a little concerned about what to do when my visa runs out this coming July. I'd like to stay in Canada when July comes around and have been looking at getting a temporary work permit before my WHP visa runs out.

From what I've researched, in order for me to get a TWP, I need:
• a letter of a job offer
• a LMO, which can only be obtained through your employer.

Some more research regurgitation: In order for the employer to get a LMO, they need to advertise the position for 2 weeks nationally and only then can they can apply for a LMO 3 months AFTER advertising.. unless I'm reading it wrong.. (I've also read that the employer can apply for a LMO no LATER than 3 months since posting the job position, so I'm a little confused?).

In this case, I've basically been hired on the spot and asked to come and work for this employer right away; I have no idea if the employer had advertised the job for 2 weeks, if at all. Would this cause the LMO to be rejected?

Does anybody have any sort of advice or guidance on what I should do? Options? Suggestions? I'd like to be able to get everything processed before my WHP expires if its possible at all!

Many thanks!

Cheers! :D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jellyfish said:
Hello!

I've here in Canada on a Working Holiday Program visa since July '09.

Earlier this week, while personally delivering resumes to a variety of companies, one company interviewed me on the spot and asked me to come in this upcoming Monday to work.

While overly excited, I'm a little concerned about what to do when my visa runs out this coming July. I'd like to stay in Canada when July comes around and have been looking at getting a temporary work permit before my WHP visa runs out.

From what I've researched, in order for me to get a TWP, I need:
• a letter of a job offer
• a LMO, which can only be obtained through your employer.

Some more research regurgitation: In order for the employer to get a LMO, they need to advertise the position for 2 weeks nationally and only then can they can apply for a LMO 3 months AFTER advertising.. unless I'm reading it wrong.. (I've also read that the employer can apply for a LMO no LATER than 3 months since posting the job position, so I'm a little confused?).

In this case, I've basically been hired on the spot and asked to come and work for this employer right away; I have no idea if the employer had advertised the job for 2 weeks, if at all. Would this cause the LMO to be rejected?

Does anybody have any sort of advice or guidance on what I should do? Options? Suggestions? I'd like to be able to get everything processed before my WHP expires if its possible at all!

Many thanks!

Cheers! :D
Your reading it wrong, the employer has to advertise for 2 weeks on the job bank WITHIN the 3 months prior to applying for an LMO.

PMM

jellyfish

Jan 20, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

Your reading it wrong, the employer has to advertise for 2 weeks on the job bank WITHIN the 3 months prior to applying for an LMO.

PMM
Oh ok, that clears that bit up - thanks! :)

So while I'm going to be working for him for the time being with my WHP visa, my employer basically could start the process of getting a LMO and 're-hire' me under a TWP (when my WHP visa expires)? Provided of course, that he can prove that he tried to hire a Canadian/PR etcetc..

Sorry for all the questions.. the whole process confuses me and I want to do it right! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jellyfish said:
Oh ok, that clears that bit up - thanks! :)

So while I'm going to be working for him for the time being with my WHP visa, my employer basically could start the process of getting a LMO and 're-hire' me under a TWP (when my WHP visa expires)? Provided of course, that he can prove that he tried to hire a Canadian/PR etcetc..

Sorry for all the questions.. the whole process confuses me and I want to do it right! :)
Yes, if the LMO was approved.

PMM