+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A little advice for a UK resident looking to move to Canada

Scottydogiom

Sep 2, 2009
Hi there , this is my first post on this website and i'm hoping for a little bit of help from people in the know !

Basically my story is this , i (28) live with my girl friend (25) and our one year old son in the UK , we are looking for a better life away from the UK and think that Canada is the place for us .

We want to qualify by using the skilled workers approach but at the moment i'm not actually a skilled worker , we have time on our side as this is more like a 5 year plan as we would ideally like to have another child while we are here and pay off some more of our mortgage so when we sell up we will have a good amount of money to set up with .

Me girlfriend is a qualified dental nurse , is this classed as a skilled worker in Canada ? I myself just have an ordinary unskilled office job but would be willing to learn a new trade at night college to get skilled , could anyone advise me on what i should be going for that canada is wanting , it would be a trade in the construction industry that i would be wanting to learn , or possibly using machinary , diggers or cranes etc .

I also need to know about criminal past ? i went to court when i was younger for a bunch of petty crimes ,think i was about 14 at the time , was just Juvenile court and i think it was only just a ticking off i got . A few years ago i did get arrested and went to court for criminal damage where i received a fine. How long until these things won't affect my application , i have read 5 years ?

Also , is our application treated any differently if we are married / Engaged / common law ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with me queries , i'm new to all this so any information i receive will all start to help my understanding of this system

Kind regards

Scottydogg

don_c

Nov 20, 2008
Here is a partial help. have a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

You can also do a self assessment from there. Think your wife qualifies and you can be a dependent

The criminal records bit will depend on how serious the crimes are but from your explanation, may not really make you inadmissible

Nit4canada

May 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Scottydogiam

You canbe a dependant inthe application and your girl friend as principal applicant. Once your application is approved you both are permanent residents in Canada with full working rights

Scottydogiom

Sep 2, 2009
So will just my girl friend being a skilled worker be enough for the 2 of us (and baby) ? Does anyone know if they are actually looking for registered Dental nurses ?
Do you get any more points for having more children ?

Thanks for the reply so far , much appriciated