+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few years of exemption from permanent residency in Canada?

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
I thought i would ask some knowledgable, experienced members around here. I actually got this question from a new immigrant to Canada. But she only landed here, got her SIN cards, Health cards, opened up her bank account, got the written test for the driving license out of the way and then went back home to Pakistan with her daughter.

The problem is that even though both the mother and daughter are legally immigrants to Canada, they have to stay in Pakistan for atleast the next 1-2 years because of the fact that the daughter is studying in Medical school in Pakistan and still has 2 years left and the mother does not want to leave the daughter all alone in Pakistan by herself. Hence they have decided to temporarily split the family for now by having the sons, father live in Canada while the mother will stay with the daughter in Pakistan for atleast the next 1-2 years while she complete medical school after which they plan to come to Canada full time to start living here full time.

But what they really want to do in order is to somehow apply for atleast 1-2 years of exemptions from meeting the requirement of staying in Canada for 1460 days. They have heard from many people that the CIC accomodates immigrants with these issues and hence they have requested me to find out more information for them regarding this.

I have tried looking at the CIC website but found no specific useful material and the CIC agents on the hotline never pick up.

I will be greatful if someone over here can tell me the right link to go to, documents to download or give feedback, advice if they have gone through a similar situation or if they know someone who has gone through this situation.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
To keep PR status, you need to stay 2 out of 5 years in Canada.

hbsk786

Apr 28, 2014
Mother and Daughter can spend their holiday in Canada and in two years they can stay 5 to 8 months in Canada and then came back after daughter complete her medicine note that Pakistan medical degree is not valued in Canada and has to start from scratch again
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Savak said:
But what they really want to do in order is to somehow apply for atleast 1-2 years of exemptions from meeting the requirement of staying in Canada for 1460 days. They have heard from many people that the CIC accomodates immigrants with these issues and hence they have requested me to find out more information for them regarding this.
There's no exemption for the situation you have described. CIC will sometimes grant exemptions after the fact when people are out of the country for unavoidable reasons (e.g. very serious illness). Education is not accepted as a reason. They are making a personal choice by deciding to remain outside of Canada. No exemption will be granted.

As others have explained, the PR residency requirement is 2 years out of every 5 years in Canada. So they can be outside of Canada for 1-2 years without issue. Part of the problem seems to be that you and they don't understand this rule.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Savak said:
What people sometimes get is forgiveness, not permission. An officer is not required to report someone for failing to meet the Residency Obligation. It's at his discretion, and sometimes they choose to apply. What the others are saying is that they gambled with their Permanent Residence status, and happened to win.

With some relatively narrow exceptions dealing with spouses of Canadian citizens and legitimate transfers for work from a Canadian company, if you want to keep Permanent Residency, the rules are two years out of every five.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Doesn't the CIC allow any exemption from the permanent residency requirements on compassionate or humanitarian grounds?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Savak said:
Doesn't the CIC allow any exemption from the permanent residency requirements on compassionate or humanitarian grounds?
They do have H&C discretion but as pointed out above, if it's granted it will be after the fact and -in general- education is not considered an H&C cause (rationale: Canada has very good schools and especially with medical school, there won't be any advantage to the daughter continuing her studies in Pakistan and then moving to Canada, since she'd then have to spend many years trying to get certified in Canada).
And again, as others mentioned, it is OK for them to spend a couple of years outside Canada and return in time to fulfill the 2/5 requirement, so it is still doable if that's the intention.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Savak said:
H&C is one of the factors that they are required to consider if there is a hearing regarding loss of status. It may be considered by an officer at the border, when using his personal discretion to decide whether to write up a report.

It is like getting pulled over for speeding in Canada. If you broke the law, the officer may write you a ticket. He can choose not to do so, as the law does not require him to do anything.

Sandhu21

Aug 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-02-2015 (Process Started)
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
31-03-2015, Third Line update- 08 April 2014
Passport Req..
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
soon
in CIC website its mention that

"Residency obligation

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.''

i wanted to ask is that ---date you became permanent resident is the date of landing?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes from the date of landing.

Sandhu21

Aug 15, 2014