+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Few Questions Regarding Temporary Resident Visa

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

If anyone can answer the questions i have regarding my TRV, that would be great.

So I hold a valid Post Graduation Work Permit expiring July 2017, but my Visa is expiring September 29, 2016. I applied to renew my visa on September 5, 2016. Now I have a family emergency that i need to go back to my home country immediately. So my questions are:

1. If my visa gets approved when I am still in my home country, will I be allowed to mail my passport to the local consulate or visa office, instead of Ottawa?

2. If my visa gets rejected, I have heard people say that if you go through the US-Canada boarder by car, even if you don't have a valid visa, as long as you have valid status (in my case, valid Post Graduate Work Permit), you will be allowed to enter Canada. Can anybody verify this for me?

Thanks very much!

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bellaluna said:
1. Yes

2. Not sure, hopefully someone else can answer.

Thanks for your response. So for the first question, is there any specific procedure that I should follow?

Anyone else can share their thoughts on these two questions?

Thanks!

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
wenfeizh said:
Hello All,

If anyone can answer the questions i have regarding my TRV, that would be great.

So I hold a valid Post Graduation Work Permit expiring July 2017, but my Visa is expiring September 29, 2016. I applied to renew my visa on September 5, 2016. Now I have a family emergency that i need to go back to my home country immediately. So my questions are:

1. If my visa gets approved when I am still in my home country, will I be allowed to mail my passport to the local consulate or visa office, instead of Ottawa?

2. If my visa gets rejected, I have heard people say that if you go through the US-Canada boarder by car, even if you don't have a valid visa, as long as you have valid status (in my case, valid Post Graduate Work Permit), you will be allowed to enter Canada. Can anybody verify this for me?

Thanks very much!
if you are going only to the US, then it's okay to come back in on your PGWP! But If you visit any other country, they won't allow you back in. If you applied on Sept 5th, you should have received your passport request by now no? It's only taking a few days to process TRVs...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bellaluna said:
1. Yes

2. Not sure, hopefully someone else can answer.
2. The answer is no. You could only re-enter with the PGWP if you only travelled to the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon.