+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few questions on applying for CEC.. please help.

errepi

Oct 26, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hello,

I am soon going to apply for permanent residence under the CEC program.

I've gone through the CIC website, instructions, forms etc several times but I still have some questions and I hope the forum will be able to help:

1) In the document checklist, some documents are required in "copy" (e.g. birth certificate), some other in "photocopy" (e.g. T4) and other in "original" (e.g. police certificate).
After googling a few sites, I understand that for "copy" they mean a "certified true copy" that must be prepared by a commissioner of oaths or a notary public who have to write on the copy ‘‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original document’’ etc. While on the other hand, I can prepare a "photocopy" of a document with a photocopier, and this doesn't need to be certified. Correct?

2) My original country is Italy so I will need the translations for some of these documents. What is the procedure in case a copy of the original document is required (e.g. birth certificate), or rather the "original" document (e.g. police certificate).
I understand that the translator should staple and sign/date both the translation and a "certified true copy" of the original document in the case of a birth certificate, but staple the translation to the original document in case of police certificates. Correct?

3) On page 5 of the instructions document there is a paragraph that reads "Determining your NOC category". The NOC must be entered in one of the application forms.
My question is, can I simply use the NOC code that is printed in my work permit, considering I have worked in the same occupation for more than 2 years, since I entered Canada?

4) Regarding the work experience, point 10 on page 2 of the instructions document state to "include original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers".
Does that mean "past and current employers" in Canada only, or also the ones I worked for before moving to Canada?

I know some of these questions may seem silly, but I cannot find an answer anywhere and I do not want to waste time sending a wrong application kit.

Thank you for any advice you may provide.

Regards,
Rico

canadiancoops

Jan 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can only asnwer point 1,3 and 4 based on my own experience

I submitted CEC application on May 7th 2009 and this morning received e-mail reqeusting passports as I was approved, so hopefully can help you here

1) I did not send any documents that were certified true ie T4's, birth certificates etc. If anything needs to be translated I'm afarid I don't know about certified copies as I am English

3) Yes put in the NOC code that is on your VISA, this is what I did

4) I inlcuded only reference letters from my employer I had worked for the past 3 years, as it states only 3 years history required for reference letters, as my previous boss was a dink and wouldnt give me one anyway

Hope this helps and good luck

errepi

Oct 26, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and congrats for your approved application!

Regarding point 4 (work experience), the form actually reads "Your work experience in Canada", which leads me to believe I only have to include up to three years of work experience IN CANADA, and not before moving here.

Also, I read today that "Applicants [under the Canadian Experience Class program] can remain in Canada throughout the application process." (http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-experience-class.html).

This is the first time that I read this and if true it would be ideal for me, as I will send the application next month, but my work permit expires at the end of February 2010, so if that is true I could legally remain in Canada until I get permanent residence.

Any idea anyone?

Thanks!
Rico

canadiancoops

Jan 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: point 4) yes only work in Canada is needed

Also you have some options with regards to when your work permit runs out next year

Dependant on your nationality and visa rules, you could

a) apply again for LMO and then extension to your work permit. As long as you apply to extend your work permit before it expires, you obtain 'implied status' which gives you another 3 months in Canada

b) You cna convert to a visitor visa of your LMO is negative

I am not sure if there are any other new guidelines under which you can stay if you have applied for perm res under the CEC, I will check the website