+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few questions I need help with : )

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
Hi everyone! I have begun filling out all the forms, and am hoping to have everything shipping off very, very soon! I just have a few questions:

1.) I can’t get my phone records as I was using pre paid calling cards, and the phone I was using before that (Koodo mobile) did not archive my cell phone call logs. What can I do?

2.) Does my spouse go for his medical exam before or after I submit all the paperwork?

3.) For personal history because we are both in our early 20’s do we go back 10 years instead of to the time we were 18? Or is it the other way around? Also do the dates have to overlap so there are no lapses in time?

4.) Can I get my “option C printout” from revenue Canada now? Or should I wait until we are closer to having everything together?

5.) Just to clarify, in the forms when its speaking about “family members” as he doesn’t have any children and I don’t have any children it is only applicable to the two of us and not any of his brothers, sisters or parents?

6.) We didn’t have an actual “proposal” we just knew that we loved one another and wanted to spend our lives together, and because we knew it would be harder than most relationships with our being on different continents for the first bit we put a lot of thought into it. How would I answer “who proposed” and “when and where did it take place”

7.) We didn’t have a wedding we just signed the papers and that was it. We took a few photos of us writing our names we are both in jeans and tshirts.... should I add those photos in?

8.) Also what sort of things did your families write in your letters? Nobody in my family has met him although I have met every member of his family and have stayed with his family a couple times before. But what sort of points should they hit on? Should they say we would like a wedding when we come to Canada? Should the letters be formal? Suggestions? And how many letters should we each get?

It’s all such a stressful process. And as I read other peoples posts I get more stressed reading the lengths of times some couples have gone without seeing one another, and the amount of troubles people have had with their paperwork. I want to make sure that I fill everything out to the best of my ability. I married him on June 4th and left Albania on June 5th and I hope that things go speedy so we can see one another soon!It’s such an overwhelming process and seems like so many “small” things can spiral out of control and all of a sudden you are denied.

As I am going to be mailing him the forms for him to sign my main concern is understanding what I need from his end so we can get things done asap ... police clearance letters, medical exams, our marriage certificate, his birth certificate, family certificate, the certificate with my name and his?????

Thank you, Thank you! :D

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I can address a few of your questions from my experience. Hopefully others will help too.

1. any cards, letters, gifts or other types of communications like online chats?
2. Depends on your country specific instructions, I think. What country and visa office?
4. The most recent option C is based on your 2009 tax declarations. It won't change until you file for 2010, so if you intend to apply this year you can go ahead and request it now.
5. Family members are you, your spouse and any children. Additional family members are parents, siblings, etc listed in a different section of the app.
6. Maybe no one proposed per se but at some point you must have discussed this before you showed up to sign the papers. Describe how that happened.
7. meaning you had a civil ceremony? Yes, in my opinion, include the photos and copies of the papers you signed
8. If you are legally married you do not need letters but you can submit some. Any format is fine and the letters typically include ...
-A description of how they know either one of you (typically the person they knew first)...examples
I am a friend of XXX, I was a co-worker of XXX, I am the sister of XXX, etc
-A description of how they became aware of your relationship, when they met the other partner, activities participated in
together, etc
-A statement to the effect that, in their judgement, you are in a real, loving, ongoing, genuine (they should choose the words)
relationship based on their personal knowledge and experiences

minna

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/07/2010
AOR Received.
08/09/2010
File Transfer...
19/08/2010
Med's Done....
13/07/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
30/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/12/2010
LANDED..........
18/12/2010
1) you don't *need* cell phone logs. you can get a visa without phone records. I was advised not to send mine in (I have them saved for 10 months or so) if we have enough other evidence of our relationship.

2) timing of the exam depends on the country your spouse is in. if US, he goes before - you need a page with the medical practitioners signature in your package.

3) go back until you were 18.

4)Yes, you can get your option c printout from revenue canada at any time. you may still have yours, if you're the type to keep paperwork around.

5) there is a form where he must list his parents, brothers, sisters etc. This is because it becomes a listing of who he is allowed to sponsor in the future (i.e. his family members that have stayed behind). In other forms, they don't all need to be listed.

6). the formal proposal questions are primarily intended for those cultures in which formal proposals carry a very high significance. Same with some of the other wedding questions - they are concerned mainly with arranged marriages proceeding according to cultural customs and not so much with how couples in non-arranged marriages decided tog get married. answer truthfully in your own words - if you and your spouse simply discussed it and decided to get married, that is answer enough.

7) YES. I asked a question of an immigration lawyer as to whether I should marry my common-law partner or not before applying for PR - she advised that if we do get married, that we should do what is possible to make it special - not fancy, but special. Perhaps include a note explaining why you decided to have such an informal ceremony, what you did before and after pictures were taken, how else you celebrated the occasion.

8) Our families are basically writing that they know about our relationship, that they support it, that they love us both etc. We are having some friends write similar letters. My family in Canada is writing also that they will provide us a place to live while we get on our feet in Canada, and that they have plenty of room and are excited for our arrival. I'm pregnant, so our families are also writing about how thrilled they are that we are having a baby and how loved and wanted the baby is (this is no problem for our mothers as this is the first grandbaby on both sides....). If you are planning or wanting a wedding in Canada, then by all means, include that info, but don't make up a Canadian wedding just for the application.

Hope this helps!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
katie3234 said:
1.) I can't get my phone records as I was using pre paid calling cards, and the phone I was using before that (Koodo mobile) did not archive my cell phone call logs. What can I do?
Just explain why you could not give any phone records. Make sure you have lots of other proof of contact. You've lived with your husband, so that should be easy.
2.) Does my spouse go for his medical exam before or after I submit all the paperwork?
Before. You should send the proof of the medical you got from the doctor with the application.
3.) For personal history because we are both in our early 20's do we go back 10 years instead of to the time we were 18? Or is it the other way around? Also do the dates have to overlap so there are no lapses in time?
The personal history form for the applicant says "Give details of what you have been doing during the past 10 years or since age 18, whichever period is longer ...", so go back 10 years. But for the applicant's addresses, they only want where you have lived since your 18th birthday. For the sponsor, they want details of your employers for the last 5 years, and all foreign countries you have resided in, plus addresses, from birth. There must not be any gaps in the timeline.
4.) Can I get my “option C printout” from revenue Canada now? Or should I wait until we are closer to having everything together?
You can request it now.
5.) Just to clarify, in the forms when its speaking about “family members” as he doesn't have any children and I don't have any children it is only applicable to the two of us and not any of his brothers, sisters or parents?
Most places on the forms, 'family members' means the applicant, her/his spouse or partner, and children. The 'additional family' form: at the top you list your husband and yourself, and his parents; at the bottom you list his brothers and sisters. Parents and siblings do not submit photos and medicals.
6.) We didn't have an actual “proposal” we just knew that we loved one another and wanted to spend our lives together, and because we knew it would be harder than most relationships with our being on different continents for the first bit we put a lot of thought into it. How would I answer “who proposed” and “when and where did it take place”
Just explain as you did here - that you discussed marriage and decided to do it. Put the approximate time frame of when you discussed it, and where - over the phone during the month of August, 2009; or while we were staying at his place in June 2008; for examples.
7.) We didn't have a wedding we just signed the papers and that was it. We took a few photos of us writing our names we are both in jeans and tshirts.... should I add those photos in?
Definitely add these photos. The visa officers are suspicious when there are no wedding photos.
8.) Also what sort of things did your families write in your letters? Nobody in my family has met him although I have met every member of his family and have stayed with his family a couple times before. But what sort of points should they hit on? Should they say we would like a wedding when we come to Canada? Should the letters be formal? Suggestions? And how many letters should we each get?
As you are married, you don't actually need any letters, but especially if you are worried you don't have enough proof they are good. The letters can be formal affidavits, formal or informal letters, or even emails. A mix is good. Because you didn't have a big wedding, letters from both sets of parents saying they approve of the marriage would be good. Allison gave excellent advice about what the letter writers should say. As for how many? It's up to you, and how you feel about the rest of your proof. My husband sent in 2 affidavits from his friends saying they met me in 2001 and knew I was his girlfreind, because we have very little proof we even knew each other so long ago. We then also sent in 4 affidavits and one email from friends stating they believed our relationship was genuine.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
On Question 3, minna is wrong. You do have to go back 10 years if you are less than 28 years old. For most people, the time before age 18 may be largely taken up with attending school, though you may also have had part-time or full-time jobs during this time. If you were doing more than one thing during this time (e.g. working and going to school at the same time) list them all. Overlaps are fine. Gaps are not.

I think this question only applies to the applicant and not to the sponsor.