+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A coworker is threatening to derail my EE application

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
I'm a restaurant manager , and I have a problem employee. He is the only employee, out of a dozen, I have to criticize or discipline. Knowing that I was a student last year and that I'm applying for PR, he subtly threatened to call CIC and try to create problems by telling them that I don't perform the job of manager and that my only duties are getting payments and doing deliveries. Basically, he wants to undermine my job letter since he has no other way of attacking me. Would CIC investigate and unsubstantiated claim like this? Could this derail or delay my EE application?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I'm a restaurant manager , and I have a problem employee. He is the only employee, out of a dozen, I have to criticize or discipline. Knowing that I was a student last year and that I'm applying for PR, he subtly threatened to call CIC and try to create problems by telling them that I don't perform the job of manager and that my only duties are getting payments and doing deliveries. Basically, he wants to undermine my job letter since he has no other way of attacking me. Would CIC investigate and unsubstantiated claim like this? Could this derail or delay my EE application?
Stop talking to your employees about your plans to apply for PR, this person would have to file a complaint and would need to provide enough evidence of this as to actually be able to make a claim that is believable.

Stop worrying about stuff like this, and just don't share your personal information with any asshole at work.

Reactions: Anasone and askele

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
Stop talking to your employees about your plans to apply for PR, this person would have to file a complaint and would need to provide enough evidence of this as to actually be able to make a claim that is believable.

Stop worrying about stuff like this, and just don't share your personal information with any asshole at work.
I don't tell them anything. He knows where I must be in the immigration process because he is an international student himself.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I don't tell them anything. He knows where I must be in the immigration process because he is an international student himself.
You worry too much, he probably doesn't even know your full name. As long as you are being truthful you don't need to worry about anything.

Reactions: Anasone

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Lol, calling CIC? It's hard enough to reach CIC for a question let alone be reporting someone. Even if he manages to wait 45 minutes to an hour to talk to an agent, I doubt CIC is going take it seriously.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So you are the restaurant manager but every manager has their own manager have you discussed with your manager given that is the important link when it comes to applying for PR not what other employees think. Sort of agree with above post a most managers would have hire/fire capability but a restaurant supervisor for example probably not, although I have no idea having never ever worked in a restaurant.

As for notifying IRCC they probably get these malicious calls frequently and unlikely to investigate every single one so as long as you have your employers backing then should be nothing to be concerned about and probably just empty threats.

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
So you are the restaurant manager but every manager has their own manager have you discussed with your manager given that is the important link when it comes to applying for PR not what other employees think. Sort of agree with above post a most managers would have hire/fire capability but a restaurant supervisor for example probably not, although I have no idea having never ever worked in a restaurant.

As for notifying IRCC they probably get these malicious calls frequently and unlikely to investigate every single one so as long as you have your employers backing then should be nothing to be concerned about and probably just empty threats.
Hi!
thanks for your reply. Yes, my boss is the restaurant owner, and he is the senior manager. He issued my job letter... One of my job duties is to hire and fire employees, (I actually hired the problem employee. Unfortunately) but given that it was a veiled threat and that any firing requires the senior manager's approval, I'm still hesitating to do it.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi!
thanks for your reply. Yes, my boss is the restaurant owner, and he is the senior manager. He issued my job letter... One of my job duties is to hire and fire employees, (I actually hired the problem employee. Unfortunately) but given that it was a veiled threat and that any firing requires the senior manager's approval, I'm still hesitating to do it.
In no organization, a manager makes hiring/firing decisions independently. They always consult with their own manager. Even CEO of a big company is answerable to board of directors. In any case, that is irrelevant. One employee's complaint with sufficient evidence can potentially delay your applications processing, but it is highly unlikely. But it alone cannot completely make them deny your application. You will of course be given opportunity to explain/support yourself. You need to discuss this employee's conduct with your employer and make appropriate decisions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Extremely low chance this will derail your PR application.

I would very strongly recommend that you send an email to the owner that explains this employee is threatening you and providing all of the details. You need to have this on record.

If the student employee threatens you again, don't respond in person, just end the meeting. Then send him an email afterwards stating that you are documenting his threats from the meeting, tell him this behaviour is unacceptable, and let him know that you have shared this information with the owner.

Reactions: Islander216

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
LOL, even if he manages to get through the painful waiting queue to talk to an agent, he couldn't do anything since your application information like client ID or application number. Therefore, I won't bother to say that you should worry about that threatening nonsense. The processing process itself is stressful, so there is no need to make yourself more unnecessarily anxious.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Extremely low chance this will derail your PR application.

I would very strongly recommend that you send an email to the owner that explains this employee is threatening you and providing all of the details. You need to have this on record.

If the student employee threatens you again, don't respond in person, just end the meeting. Then send him an email afterwards stating that you are documenting his threats from the meeting, tell him this behaviour is unacceptable, and let him know that you have shared this information with the owner.
This right here, this is the correct approach.

Make sure you address this threat on the record and in writing.

In the extremely unlikely and remote scenario that he would go through with it, and IRCC try to confirm the allegations, this will already be on record and the owner will be aware of it.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
I wonder if CIC would investigate this case on their own since there's a Senior Manager and a Manager for a restaurant. It seems obvious that the Senior Manager is the actual manager, and there's another manager on paper.