+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A couple of questions regarding physical PR card and travel outside Canada

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hello all.

I have landing interview Sept 26 (Inland common-law applicant).

The letter states that it is taking up to 4-6 months for PR card to arrive and warns about travel outside
Canada without physical PR card.

I am a US citizen and was planning to visit for 2 weeks at Christmas as both my beloved grandmothers
are quite old.

Does anyone know how long it is actually taking to get PR card?

Does anyone know if I will have issues traveling to US if I haven't received PR card yet.

Many thanks in advance.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello all.

I have landing interview Sept 26 (Inland common-law applicant).

The letter states that it is taking up to 4-6 months for PR card to arrive and warns about travel outside
Canada without physical PR card.

I am a US citizen and was planning to visit for 2 weeks at Christmas as both my beloved grandmothers
are quite old.

Does anyone know how long it is actually taking to get PR card?

Does anyone know if I will have issues traveling to US if I haven't received PR card yet.

Many thanks in advance.
Suggest you check the official turnaround times on the CIC website. They are quoting 10 - 14 days currently. But allow at least a week either side for mail, so say 1 month (provided they do not reject your photo, which happens a fair bit).

I assume you supplied a Canadian address for them to send it to?

You can of course leave Canada without a PR Card, problem is, you wont be ablr to get on a commercial flight without either a valid P R card or a PRTD. But if you plan on DRIVING from Canada to and from the US, then no problem, just explain when comibg back in to Canada and they csn chrck your status on their systems. It would be useful to have your stamped copy CoPR with you as additional proof.

Reactions: LisaH

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Suggest you check the official turnaround times on the CIC website. They are quoting 10 - 14 days currently. But allow at least a week either side for mail, so say 1 month (provided they do not reject your photo, which happens a fair bit).

I assume you supplied a Canadian address for them to send it to?

You can of course leave Canada without a PR Card, problem is, you wont be ablr to get on a commercial flight without either a valid P R card or a PRTD. But if you plan on DRIVING from Canada to and from the US, then no problem, just explain when comibg back in to Canada and they csn chrck your status on their systems. It would be useful to have your stamped copy CoPR with you as additional proof.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a Canadian address.

Per your advice, I checked the CIC website and it is quoting 12 days which is months quicker than landing letter states!