+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A couple of questions before I submit my application *sweating*

Mar 21, 2019
Hi all and thanks in advance.
I just want to make sure of a couple of things before I go ahead and submit my paper application for spousal sponsorship and pr (I'm the US citizen and my husband is the Canadian sponsor). We don't want to use a lawyer because it's pretty expensive and we are sure that it is doable as long as we are honest and provide a lot of information to support our relationship.

1. When I'm filling out the document checklist, do I only check the boxes where I'm actually going to be attaching the document or is it more of an acknowledgement of the section? I know that's nit-picky but I don't know how bad it is when these people are looking over the forms.
  2. Where exactly do I attach the ''detailed explanations'' of certain sections?
  3. I've had my name legally changed in 2018, should I attach the court document that supports this or is it just assumed that it's legal since it's on my US Passport?
  4. Sometimes the application specifies photocopies and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any where in the application where I need to submit an original copy of a document (like mine or my husbands birth certificate) instead of a photocopy or are they all photocopies?
  5. I've been through the military before but I was discharged in boot camp due to an injury, it was an administrative discharge. Does this count as military service? Should I check yes or no on the box for this?
  6. Lastly, I am currently living in Canada with my husband and I have to submit my fingerprints to the FBI via mail but they won't send them here to Canada. Is it okay for my police certificate to be a print out of the electronic form I've requested from the FBI?
Thanks again!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada

1. When I'm filling out the document checklist, do I only check the boxes where I'm actually going to be attaching the document or is it more of an acknowledgement of the section? I know that's nit-picky but I don't know how bad it is when these people are looking over the forms.

The guide says you write N/A for sections that don't apply to you.
  1. Where exactly do I attach the ''detailed explanations'' of certain sections?

With the form that you need to explain.
  1. I've had my name legally changed in 2018, should I attach the court document that supports this or is it just assumed that it's legal since it's on my US Passport?

The general application asks you to identify any other names you have used and to attach proof if they have changed, I believe.
  1. Sometimes the application specifies photocopies and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any where in the application where I need to submit an original copy of a document (like mine or my husbands birth certificate) instead of a photocopy or are they all photocopies?

There are times you must submit originals and there are times you submit copies. Sometimes copies have to be notarized and sometimes they don't. Review the detailed guide.
  1. I've been through the military before but I was discharged in boot camp due to an injury, it was an administrative discharge. Does this count as military service? Should I check yes or no on the box for this?

If you were in the military, you were in the military. Check yes.
  1. Lastly, I am currently living in Canada with my husband and I have to submit my fingerprints to the FBI via mail but they won't send them here to Canada. Is it okay for my police certificate to be a print out of the electronic form I've requested from the FBI?
Thanks again!
Read the guide's section on police clearance certificates. It explains what you need, in detail.

Reactions: carmengabrielle

Teelee

Oct 24, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
  1. Lastly, I am currently living in Canada with my husband and I have to submit my fingerprints to the FBI via mail but they won't send them here to Canada. Is it okay for my police certificate to be a print out of the electronic form I've requested from the FBI?
Thanks again!
My husband got his prints done in Canada. You just have to mail them in. You can set it up online it comes pretty quickly.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Hi all and thanks in advance.
I just want to make sure of a couple of things before I go ahead and submit my paper application for spousal sponsorship and pr (I'm the US citizen and my husband is the Canadian sponsor). We don't want to use a lawyer because it's pretty expensive and we are sure that it is doable as long as we are honest and provide a lot of information to support our relationship.

2. Where exactly do I attach the ''detailed explanations'' of certain sections?
  3. I've had my name legally changed in 2018, should I attach the court document that supports this or is it just assumed that it's legal since it's on my US Passport?
  4. Sometimes the application specifies photocopies and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any where in the application where I need to submit an original copy of a document (like mine or my husbands birth certificate) instead of a photocopy or are they all photocopies?
  5. I've been through the military before but I was discharged in boot camp due to an injury, it was an administrative discharge. Does this count as military service? Should I check yes or no on the box for this?
  6. Lastly, I am currently living in Canada with my husband and I have to submit my fingerprints to the FBI via mail but they won't send them here to Canada. Is it okay for my police certificate to be a print out of the electronic form I've requested from the FBI?
Thanks again!
Read the guide 3-4 times;) it will help a lot.

Reactions: carmengabrielle
Mar 21, 2019

The guide says you write N/A for sections that don't apply to you.

With the form that you need to explain.

The general application asks you to identify any other names you have used and to attach proof if they have changed, I believe.

There are times you must submit originals and there are times you submit copies. Sometimes copies have to be notarized and sometimes they don't. Review the detailed guide.

If you were in the military, you were in the military. Check yes.

Read the guide's section on police clearance certificates. It explains what you need, in detail.
Okay awesome! Thanks so much for the reply. In regards to the checkbox thing I've attached a picture. I get the N/A part, I'm talking about the boxes that seem miscellaneous like https://imgur.com/a/VdKPjZl
Do I check the police certificates box in this example or do I leave it blank. I am probably overthinking this lol...

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Haha you're right, I will definitely read all of this over again because it's clear that I've missed things.
This is what I have done and I did not have any issues, but don't forget that all applications are different. It would also be helpful to include cover letters about the sponsor and PA. Make sure all the signatures are in the correct places. Make sure you photocopy the whole application for future reference... etc.... There are many things to do here, make sure you understand the whole process and you will be fine;)

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
i've been having troubles finding the guide and even the document checklist, can somebody point me in the right direction? thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
  1. Sometimes the application specifies photocopies and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any where in the application where I need to submit an original copy of a document (like mine or my husbands birth certificate) instead of a photocopy or are they all photocopies?
I would check the guide and also the country specific instructions that you get to through the application forms pages.
For a point of comparison, for our country (not USA) it specified notarised copies with translations for all documents (originals not in English) except for divorce certificate (for which translation and the original was required).
Given that level of specificity, I assume that for other countries requirements to submit originals (instead of photocopies/notarised copies) would also be specified quite clearly, right down to the specific document.

Jaymaticc

Sep 4, 2019
I would check the guide and also the country specific instructions that you get to through the application forms pages.
For a point of comparison, for our country (not USA) it specified notarised copies with translations for all documents (originals not in English) except for divorce certificate (for which translation and the original was required).
Given that level of specificity, I assume that for other countries requirements to submit originals (instead of photocopies/notarised copies) would also be specified quite clearly, right down to the specific document.

do these documents need to be notarized in their country? Or can it be done in Canada as well.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
do these documents need to be notarized in their country? Or can it be done in Canada as well.
I do not know, you'd have to check whether you need notarised copies to begin with - look at the instructions carefully.

I think in some jurisdictions, notaries will only make notarised copies of official documents from that country (with some exceptions like passports) because the copy may have some legal status, but in other cases they may be able to make 'true copies', i.e. they are only attesting that they saw the original. You'll just have to check with a notary. (I suspect less of an issue for documents in the language the notary works with e.g. US documents in Canada).