+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A complete way to nail 'Source of fund' dilemma!

akashbhalla89

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hi,
I have a got a gift deed from my parents in INDIA, and I am in canada so I have not signed on that. Shall i go ahead and make notarize document here saying that i accept the gift or is it fine without that as well.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi,
I have a got a gift deed from my parents in INDIA, and I am in canada so I have not signed on that. Shall i go ahead and make notarize document here saying that i accept the gift or is it fine without that as well.
Yes, go ahead with the acceptance

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hi guys would appreciate if you answer this
I am single and I have around 5-6 lacs INR worth of FD's which are held jointly by me & my parents. Basically its their savings which they have invested in my name (jointly with theirs) for use by me in the future if and when I need the money. It's been getting renewed over the years. Also my parents have their own pension and their own retirement money as savings for themselves so they wont need / claim this money that they have invested in my name ever.
My question is if I wish to show those FD's that i am holding jointly with my parents as POF, what all documents will be needed? Can i keep them as FD or do i need to have them transferred in my Bank Account?
PS : I will be creating my EE profile in July 2017 not before that.

abhishekasu

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
Hello @vishalg and other experts,
I have a query on showing FD as POF and I have seen many post on that and hence little confused.
I did not have much money in my running savings account, as most of the money I invest in equities and mutual funds. So post my ITA, I sold few of my stocks and mutual funds - proceeds of the same got credited to my main-savings account, and have got my April Salary (in my other salary account), which I am going to transfer in my savings account.
I now have sufficient fund in my savings accounts, so I am thinking of creating an FD for the required LICO fund, and use that as POF.
My question is:
1. Can I create a fresh FD now with all the money that I have got recently - I read somewhere that FD needs to be 6 months old or something on those lines.
2. If I create a fresh FD - what all letters/documents I would need to upload to show as POF.

3. If I cannot create FD to show it as POF, in that case should I just keep the required fund in my savings account? In this case, what letters/documents I would need?

My primary reason to create FD is to set aside the required fund to be shown as POF, so that I can use my main savings account as operating account.

Appreciate your help on clarifying this.

Thanks

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi guys would appreciate if you answer this
I am single and I have around 5-6 lacs INR worth of FD's which are held jointly by me & my parents. Basically its their savings which they have invested in my name (jointly with theirs) for use by me in the future if and when I need the money. It's been getting renewed over the years. Also my parents have their own pension and their own retirement money as savings for themselves so they wont need / claim this money that they have invested in my name ever.
My question is if I wish to show those FD's that i am holding jointly with my parents as POF, what all documents will be needed? Can i keep them as FD or do i need to have them transferred in my Bank Account?
PS : I will be creating my EE profile in July 2017 not before that.
Joint accounts/FDs with parents/siblings/ any other relative excluding your spouse is not acceptable. I would advise you to renew FD in your name only. You would need a gift deed from your parents if you submit your application (post ITA) within 6 months from the date of FD renewal in your name. If more than 6 months you don't need any other doc.

Reactions: dipantika

somaya

Apr 27, 2017
Hello Guys,

I have been reading though this very informative thread during the past coupe of weeks in order to decide how shall handle the POF issue. Finally I've decided the following and I need a confirmation from the experts.

My father is going to give me an "endorsed" check (In other words, a check in his name in which he endorsed it to me). Then, I will deposit that check into my account and I'll provide the following:
  1. A gift deed on plain paper signed by me, my father, and witness.
  2. A copy of the "endorsed" check
  3. A bank statement from my account showing the amount deposited
  4. A LEO explaining all the above situation
My questions are:
  1. is there is a problem with an "endorsed" check?
  2. is it required that the gift deed to be notarized? if yes, by whom given I'm from Egypt?
  3. Do I have to submit any other additional documents??
Kindly please advise

Last edited:

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Hello @vishalg and other experts,
I have a query on showing FD as POF and I have seen many post on that and hence little confused.
I did not have much money in my running savings account, as most of the money I invest in equities and mutual funds. So post my ITA, I sold few of my stocks and mutual funds - proceeds of the same got credited to my main-savings account, and have got my April Salary (in my other salary account), which I am going to transfer in my savings account.
I now have sufficient fund in my savings accounts, so I am thinking of creating an FD for the required LICO fund, and use that as POF.
My question is:
1. Can I create a fresh FD now with all the money that I have got recently - I read somewhere that FD needs to be 6 months old or something on those lines.
2. If I create a fresh FD - what all letters/documents I would need to upload to show as POF.
If FD isn't 6 months old you would need to show the trail of the money I.e. liquidation/ redemption proof of equity and MF and along with it paystubs for salary credit.
FD certificate +Above docs + bank letter + bank statement ( 6 months) to show the credit of such funds.

3. If I cannot create FD to show it as POF, in that case should I just keep the required fund in my savings account? In this case, what letters/documents I would need?

My primary reason to create FD is to set aside the required fund to be shown as POF, so that I can use my main savings account as operating account.
You can go ahead with your approach.
Appreciate your help on clarifying this.

Thanks

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Hello Guys,

I have been reading though this very informative thread during the past coupe of weeks in order to decide how shall handle the POF issue. Finally I've decided the following and I need a confirmation from the experts.

My father is going to give me an "endorsed" check (In other words, a check in his name in which he endorsed it to me). Then, I will deposit that check into my account and I'll provide the following:
I don't really understand the difference between endorsed cheque and regular cheque.
  1. A gift deed on plain paper signed by me, my father, and witness.Get this notarized
  2. A copy of the "endorsed" check
  3. A bank statement from my account showing the amount deposited
  4. A LEO explaining all the above situation
My questions are:
  1. is there is a problem with an "endorsed" check? If it is along with the gift deed, I don't think it should be a problem. However, would be a better if you could explain the difference between endorsed and regular cheque.
  2. is it required that the gift deed to be notarized? if yes, by whom given I'm from Egypt?Visit a public notary if available, else someone from Egypt has to suggest an option
  3. Do I have to submit any other additional documents??Docs are fine.
Kindly please advise

Reactions: somaya

somaya

Apr 27, 2017
An endorsed check is a regular check originally given to my father by some else. Then he, in stead of depositing it to his account, else he makes a special endorsement to me by writing on it's back or front the following: "Pay to <My name>" and then sign it.
This way I can have this check and deposit it to my account or cash it, what ever I want.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
An endorsed check is a regular check originally given to my father by some else. Then he, in stead of depositing it to his account, else he makes a special endorsement to me by writing on it's back or front the following: "Pay to <My name>" and then sign it.
This way I can have this check and deposit it to my account or cash it, what ever I want.
I don't think it should be a challenge. Has your father received this cheque against any service provided, if yes, you should upload that agreement. This is just a safety measure to ensure there is no loan taken for POF.

somaya

Apr 27, 2017
I don't think it should be a challenge. Has your father received this cheque against any service provided, if yes, you should upload that agreement. This is just a safety measure to ensure there is no loan taken for POF.
Yes, he has some shares in a company and this check is part of his profits for last year. So you are recommending that I have to prepare a document from that company that proves his ownership to those shares and get this document notarized as well .... is this correct??

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Yes, he has some shares in a company and this check is part of his profits for last year. So you are recommending that I have to prepare a document from that company that proves his ownership to those shares and get this document notarized as well .... is this correct??
It will be a safe approach

abhishekasu

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
Ok Thanks @vishalg ! So can't Just create an FD and show the certificate.
Also, if I do not create FD, then what? If I just show the current balance in my savings account, in that case also it will have recent credits. So still I would need to produce the redemption receipts etc?

Do I need to show my portfolio statement as well since my bank statement would show quite a bit of credit of dividends, interest, etc and dbit of SIP's etc.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Ok Thanks @vishalg ! So can't Just create an FD and show the certificate.you can create FDs, just that you need to provide source of funds and your ownership of the same, if funds are less than 6 months old.
Also, if I do not create FD, then what? If I just show the current balance in my savings account, in that case also it will have recent credits. So still I would need to produce the redemption receipts etc?
Any significant credits ( if within 6 months) need to supported by relevant documents
Do I need to show my portfolio statement as well since my bank statement would show quite a bit of credit of dividends, interest, etc and dbit of SIP's etc.get the redemption receipt/ statement. If bank provides you letter with all details as required then just get statement for the month when these funds were credited. This will give CIC the whole picture and won't leave any doubts/ gaps