+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A awkward situation about work permit.

Jackiejin

Mar 27, 2018
Hey everyone

I'm with my postgraduate open work permit now, and it gonna expire in August,
I applied PR through QSW, and already submitted documents, waiting for CSQ now.
Today I was just told by my company that they won't support me with closed WP cuz they don't want to link employee with the company.

Now I really don't know if there is a way to extend my WP after getting CSQ, I don't wanna quit the job.
If anyone has experience with such an awkward situation, I appreciate your help.

By the way, I'm in Montreal.

Thank you guys .

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
Officially your only route for a work permit after getting CSQ is the closed employer-specific work permit. You can always try your luck for open, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll get it. Your company's response is amazingly strange. What do they mean by saying they don't want to link employee with the company? Do they think that they have to keep you forever and ever if they give you the offer of employment? Even if you can apply for work permit for 3 years, it does not mean that you are a ball chained on their leg for 3 years, it just means you are eligible to work for 3 years if they can keep you.
Have you thought about moving elsewhere in Canada and applying for express entry? It would be so much faster. For PR through Quebec, we are looking at approximately 12 months for CSQ (inland applicants, give or take a little) plus 15 months for the federal processing. Elsewhere in Canada the PR applicants are also eligible for bridging open work permit.

Jackiejin

Mar 27, 2018
Officially your only route for a work permit after getting CSQ is the closed employer-specific work permit. You can always try your luck for open, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll get it. Your company's response is amazingly strange. What do they mean by saying they don't want to link employee with the company? Do they think that they have to keep you forever and ever if they give you the offer of employment? Even if you can apply for work permit for 3 years, it does not mean that you are a ball chained on their leg for 3 years, it just means you are eligible to work for 3 years if they can keep you.
Have you thought about moving elsewhere in Canada and applying for express entry? It would be so much faster. For PR through Quebec, we are looking at approximately 12 months for CSQ (inland applicants, give or take a little) plus 15 months for the federal processing. Elsewhere in Canada the PR applicants are also eligible for bridging open work permit.
Thanks so much for your kind reply, I also feel that my company is so ridiculous, they said if they give closed WP, once you wanna leave or something else, it may be not good with this kind of WP. But anyway, I don't understand their weird thought.

And also, I don't think I have enough time to try EE, cuz WP expires in AUG. Maybe the only way is to try get lucky for open.....

Again, thank you so much