+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

9C During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada

snmathur4

Star Member
May 8, 2018
My mom have had PR since 2006, and just now she is applying for citizenship. She is eligible and has lived here enough in last 5 years.
Question is she went to India for vacation for 2-3 months in between. Do that count as "living outside Canada"

Do I enter Yes or No for
9 c) During your eligibility period did you live outside of Canada

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
My mom have had PR since 2006, and just now she is applying for citizenship. She is eligible and has lived here enough in last 5 years.
Question is she went to India for vacation for 2-3 months in between. Do that count as "living outside Canada"

Do I enter Yes or No for
This question is horrifically written and apparently about to be fixed. The answer is no. You only need say yes if you were working for the crown or similar (see the form that it mentions if you say yes) and want that time to count towards your 1095 required days.

As long as she wasn’t “living” abroad and it was just a vacation it’s fine just list the periods and any details in the form about time in country and trips out of Canada.

Reactions: snmathur4

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Item 9.c. regarding living abroad during the eligibility period has indeed been "fixed:"

A new version of the application, CIT 0002 (01-2019) has been implemented. And at last it includes a big change for long problematic item 9.c. At last IRCC has revised this item to clearly ask about living outside Canada during the eligibility period "as a crown servant or with your spouse or common law partner or parent who was a crown servant."

There are numerous topics in this forum specifically asking about how to respond to the former version of 9.c. precisely because it was confusing . . . IRCC was looking for responses to the item as it is currently asked in CIT 0002 (01-2019) but in previous versions of the application it asked if the applicant lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, which many applicants did but NOT as crown servants. Good change long overdue.

THUS:

Do I enter Yes or No for
Visiting abroad is NOT the same as living abroad. Safe to have answered "NO" even if the older form was used.

In the meantime, if you have not submitted the application as yet, better to download the NEW form and use it. And the new instructions should especially make it clear how to respond.

Reactions: canvan14