+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

730 days start date for new PR holders who are already in canada!

wetjessica

Jan 9, 2020
I have been searching this topic but just could not find an answer for this case and I assume it is a pretty common case:
I am in Canada on a work permit and say I receive my PR card on Jan 10th 2020 with the PR start date on Jan 5th 2020. When is the start date to count the 730 days?
All the posts i have seen are saying your start date HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PR ISSUE DATE. Your start date is your LANDING date. Well, i do not have a landing date. Unless the time i landed in canada one year ago as a work permit holder count? (i highly doubt it)
So for us who are already in Canada applying for PR WITHOUT SOME SORT OF LANDING DATE, how is 730 days calculated?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The residency obligation for PR starts on the day you land. You will have a landing date as that would be the date you present your COPR either to CBSA at a border through a flagpole or exit/entry or IRCC office.

Until you present your COPR for processing you are not a PR and cannot of course apply for your PR card until you have 'landed' and you do not simply transition from work permit to PR without that landing..

PR card issue date is not relevant to the residency obligation.

Only when comes to citizenship you can claim the pre PR time for one half day credit for every day spent in Canada on your work permit to a maximum of one year credit. This in the 5 year period preceding the application date where you need 3 years physical presence in that 5 years with a minimum of 2 years as a PR

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

wetjessica

Jan 9, 2020
Ok, for my case, because I am already in canada, the landing date means the date I present my CORP in IRCC office?
because I am already in canada, i wont go through a border check anymore

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ok, for my case, because I am already in canada, the landing date means the date I present my CORP in IRCC office?
because I am already in canada, i wont go through a border check anymore
Correct if that is the route you chose in making a landing appointment at a local office. Confusing I know the use of word landing which implies arriving at a border but in effect same thing at a local office as you are transitioning from temp permit / resident to PR.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetjessica