+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

730 days rule

thekdi

Jun 13, 2008
Hello,

I first landed in Canada on March, 10th 2006. Stayed there for a week and came back to USA as I have an H1-B.

My Question is:
In order to retain Canadian Residency, latest by which date do I have to move to Canada?

I need to figure out, do I have to complete 730 days within first five years or any five years? i.e. Can I enter on March, 9th, 2011 (day before residency expires) then stay in Canada for 2 years and get it renewed?

According to Residency obligation, "If you have been a permanent resident for five years or more: you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five years."

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thekdi said:
Hello,

I first landed in Canada on March, 10th 2006. Stayed there for a week and came back to USA as I have an H1-B.

My Question is:
In order to retain Canadian Residency, latest by which date do I have to move to Canada?

I need to figure out, do I have to complete 730 days within first five years or any five years? i.e. Can I enter on March, 9th, 2011 (day before residency expires) then stay in Canada for 2 years and get it renewed?

According to Residency obligation, "If you have been a permanent resident for five years or more: you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five years."
1. It is a rolling 5 year period.
2. You have to return by March 16 2009 and remain in Canada for the next 2 years without leaving for a day.

PMM

ngk

Mar 29, 2008
Hi PMM,

during my first five years, I stay for 731 days and leave to my home country. Can I apply for my PR extension from my home country?

I appreciate your reply.

Regards,
ngk

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
ngk said:
Hi PMM,

during my first five years, I stay for 731 days and leave to my home country. Can I apply for my PR extension from my home country?

I appreciate your reply.

Regards,
ngk
No, you have to be in Canada to apply for a new PR card.

PMM