+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

730 days obligation

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Hello,

In order to retain the PR, we need to stay in canada for 2 years out of every 5 years. The 730 days(2 years out of 5 years) obligation counts from the date of landing or date mentioned in the PR card. For example My date of Landing in Dec 28 2008.But my PR card says Date of Issue is 18 Jan 2009 and Date of Expiry in 18 Jan 2013. So In order to retain the PR, the 730 day obligation starts from which Date?

Thanks

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Does Canada stamp your passport when you land, so you have an official start date when (later) you must prove you spent the 730 days in Canada?

pinklakambini

Jun 22, 2010
hi, I am just wondering, I became a permanent resident last july of 2008. I stayed in canada for 10 months and left last may 2009. I left canada to finish my studies here in the philippines and planning to come back on april 2011 aftr my graduation. my PR card expires on 2013. Can i still go back to canada without loosing my status?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinklakambini said:
hi, I am just wondering, I became a permanent resident last july of 2008. I stayed in canada for 10 months and left last may 2009. I left canada to finish my studies here in the philippines and planning to come back on april 2011 aftr my graduation. my PR card expires on 2013. Can i still go back to canada without loosing my status?
If you left may 2009 and will return in april 2011, you will have been gone for 2 years and you can be gone for up to 3 years before you lose your PR status so you are fine.

pinklakambini

Jun 22, 2010
thank you for answering question, I also have another inquiry

also, I am planning to marry before i go back to canada here in the philippines to my boyfriend for four years, Will that affect my residency status? can i sponsor him after sometime? my parents are both in canada just to add.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinklakambini said:
thank you for answering question, I also have another inquiry

also, I am planning to marry before i go back to canada here in the philippines to my boyfriend for four years, Will that affect my residency status? can i sponsor him after sometime? my parents are both in canada just to add.
No affect on your residency status. You can sponsor your husband once you return to Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can sponsor your husband later but make sure that if you had lived with him for 12 months or more between 2006 and 2008 when you became a PR, do not say that to CIC when you apply for sponsorship.

The reason is that if you did live with him that long before you got your PR, you would have been classed as a common law couple and that would mean that he should have been included on your PR application.

pinklakambini

Jun 22, 2010
no, we are just plain girlfriend-boyfriend and did not live with each other. so, if i get married. will i have to inform the canadian immigration about it?? or can i just inform them when im back in canada, also to change my surname?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is enough to tell them when you are ready to sponsor your husband. It's only when people are in the process of applying PR that they want to know if you get married before you land.

pinklakambini

Jun 22, 2010
oh, so it's okay to use my single surname on all of my id's like my license, health care, PR card and others? or do i have to change it immediately after i land?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it's okay to use your surname on all id's like my license, health care, PR card and others

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to change your name at all unless you want to. It's ok to use all of your ID without changing your name. If you choose to change your name, you have to get all of your ID changed.

jaienei

Jun 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
regarding to your statement that the time we should inform the immigration that we are married is when we are ready to process the application. cause as far as i remember, Immigration usually ask the returning PR regarding to what is the purpose of their trip so its okay not to tell them that its wedding and just say its for a vacation trip? am i right with my understanding? correct me if im wrong..please..thanks!im just wondering