+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

7 year old son not meeting Residency obligation of 730 days. Can i renew his PR?

Amsajtwin

May 20, 2019
Hi All , What would happen if my 7 year old son does not meet the Canadian PR renewal requirement of 730 days? Our PR Is due for renewal in 2024 April and when I and my husband would already be meeting the 730 days requirement by December this year, our son will be around 40 days short of meeting 730 days by the time of our renewal. Would my son lose his PR status?? We did not take him to Canada until 2022 May since covid vaccinations were not being administered in India to children and was not safe for travel. Can someone help me with this information. Also, if I take my son with me to India in December 2023 for an important family traditional ceremony , would he be not allowed to enter back in Canada by January 2024 , since the government foresee it as a failure in meeting the residency obligations to renew the PR by April, even though he has a valid pr card until April, 2024? (The total absence of 40 days mentioned above includes this trip). Our prs are valid till 2024 April as per the pr card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All , What would happen if my 7 year old son does not meet the Canadian PR renewal requirement of 730 days? Our PR Is due for renewal in 2024 April and when I and my husband would already be meeting the 730 days requirement by December this year, our son will be around 40 days short of meeting 730 days by the time of our renewal. Would my son lose his PR status?? We did not take him to Canada until 2022 May since covid vaccinations were not being administered in India to children and was not safe for travel. Can someone help me with this information. Also, if I take my son with me to India in December 2023 for an important family traditional ceremony , would he be not allowed to enter back in Canada by January 2024 , since the government foresee it as a failure in meeting the residency obligations to renew the PR by April, even though he has a valid pr card until April, 2024? (The total absence of 40 days mentioned above includes this trip). Our prs are valid till 2024 April as per the pr card.
5 year period is based on your landing date not the expiry date on your PR card. Expiry date on your first PR card is usually 5 years plus 2-3 months so allow for renewal period. Your so should only apply for a new PR card once he has met the 730 days within the past 5 years. He can live in Canada without a PR card. If your son has a valid PR card he will be able to enter Canada. Even if he did get reported for not being compliant with her RO he would still be able to enter Canada and appeal his potential loss of PR status. Realistically since he is close to meeting his RO and both his parents are compliant with their RO there are very good chances that he won’t be reported for not meeting RO. There will be a period of time where he doesn’t have a PR card and you and your spouse may not have valid PR cards and I wouldn’t recommend travelling during that period of time.

Reactions: armoured