+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

6-month old Canadian son moving back to Canada...no passport or ID. Help!

dc8800

Feb 2, 2011
We are moving in a couple months from the States back to Canada with my 6-month old Canadian son (my wife was born in Canada). We applied for his Canadian citizenship card/certificate in November, but it typically takes 10 months to come (it did for our first son). That means he won't be able to get his Canadian passport before we move back.

I understand there is this provision, but I need help with interpretation: (i don't have permission to post links...but following the root level of the cic.gc.ca website, paste the following in: "/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp"

Does the new policy means that they WON'T be issuing limited validity passport, but instead only issue a F-1 visa to his American passport? Or should I still try to apply for a limited validity passport?

Please help. Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

dc8800 said:
We are moving in a couple months from the States back to Canada with my 6-month old Canadian son (my wife was born in Canada). We applied for his Canadian citizenship card/certificate in November, but it typically takes 10 months to come (it did for our first son). That means he won't be able to get his Canadian passport before we move back.

I understand there is this provision, but I need help with interpretation: (i don't have permission to post links...but following the root level of the cic.gc.ca website, paste the following in: "/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp"

Does the new policy means that they WON'T be issuing limited validity passport, but instead only issue a F-1 visa to his American passport? Or should I still try to apply for a limited validity passport?

Please help. Thanks!
As he is under 2 years old, they will issue a limited validity passport.

dc8800

Feb 2, 2011
PMM said:
As he is under 2 years old, they will issue a limited validity passport.
Thanks. How do I apply for a limited validity passport? My closest consulate (Dallas) says they only issue passport for emergency (i.e. death in the family).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dc8800 said:
Thanks. How do I apply for a limited validity passport? My closest consulate (Dallas) says they only issue passport for emergency (i.e. death in the family).
Really too bad that Dallas (which doesn't have Immigration functions) doesn't at least read the Operations Bulletins, specifically 154. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp You may wish to contact them and request that they refer to that bulletin. You should complete the passport application and present it with a copy of the bulletin.