+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

6 extension contracts

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the extension contracts.

I have remained in 1 job position since 2018 Sept. But I signed 6 different extension contracts during this period because of the company policy. For the work employment section, do I need to provide 6 different work experiences or does 1 suffice? There was one period when they changed my work hours and since the system does not allow you to put 2 different weekly hours, I am thinking of putting 2 work experiences.

Please share with me your opinions. Thank you.

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
No need to list this as 6 different items. But you are correct - since there was a change in your work hours, you must split it up into two different list items.

Note that you can still get one reference letter for the entire period, but that reference letter should state that you worked xx hours per week for one date range, and yy hours per week for the other date range. You can then upload the same reference letter twice (for each separate list item).
Will do so. Thank you so much.

How about the fact that I held two positions at the same company? One was my main source of income and the other one was more like a volunteer work (3 to 4 hours per week). They show up on my pay statement at the same time. Would I need to address this in the personal history or work history? There's really no regular work hours for the 2nd one.

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
If it wasn't paid work, it should not be included in the work history section. You may include it in the personal history section.

Just make sure that whatever reference letter your employer gives you clearly states that your main job was fully paid and the hours you spent working at either job are clearly separated. You don't want IRCC to get confused and think a significant part of the hours you worked wasn't paid.
I call it a volunteer job because of the nature of the work is charity-based but it was definitely paid. Do I still not need to include it in the work history section? There is really no regular hours for that one. Sometimes 3hr/week , sometimes 7hr/week, etc.

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
I would go by what the reference letter of your employer says. Is it mentioned in the reference letter?
It's not. He is not even aware that I've been holding a different position than the one I have with him since the work hours don't interfere. It's a big company. The problem is that my pay statements (also T4) which I need to submit for my main position show both the positions I held - I wouldn't be worrying otherwise.

If you mean the offers from my other supervisor whom I did the paid "volunteer" work for -- these contracts only show the hourly rate since the work hours are irregular.

I never wanted to include this but it shows up on my paychecks so I am not sure what to do.

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
That's a great point. The company is large & has a lot of departments that are completely separated. Even within the scope of my main work, my employee type changed 3 to 4 times. So I thought if I just listed all those changes, that would suffice..

My immediate supervisor for the job I'm claiming the points for cannot provide the letter that considers the "volunteer" job position and even if I contact the central HR and get the letter, another issue would be that the working title for the "volunteer job" (as listed on my contracts) would not match that of the one that the HR can give me since the HR tend to put everyone at that hourly rate in one employee "bucket" regardless of the responsibilities. I know it sounds strange but that's how it is. It would end up seeming like I have 3 positions.

In addition, my main job has literally nothing to do in terms of responsibilities with the "volunteer" one. I'm an engineer and the other one is non-profit charity-based and yes, all in one big organization.

Should I still go ahead and include that letter from central HR? I know this is so chaotic--- thank you so much for your advice.

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
I think your best bet is to explain all ob the above in an LoE. I can't imagine there would be any issues as long as you're transparent about it.
Okay. I will go ahead and do that. Would you suggest that I also include the "volunteer" position in my personal history? If so, should I include it in a separate row or together with my main job?