+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

50 extra points - closed work permit

French1

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Hi guys,

Does anyone know about the new 50 extra points under this category:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

- are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
- have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and
- have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa.

I have been working for my employer for over 2 years but my first work permit was a WHV.
I now have a Young professional (from March last year) and I am not sure if I qualify for the 50 extra points cited above.

Do you need to have been working for the employer for a year with a close work permit or you could have started with an open work permit and continue with a closed work permit?

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate.

Cheers!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My understanding is that you have to work for that employer under a closed work permit as one of the questions in the EE profile specifically asks if you've worked for your employer on your current work permit for a year.

French1

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for your reply,

I have been working for my employer for more than one year but I started with an open work permit. I have a closed work permit now with my employer's name on it but I haven't been working a full year with this permit yet. That's why I'm a bit confused. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It makes sense, i'm just saying you cannot answer "yes" to the question that i'm talking about in my previous post.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
French1 said:
Does anyone know about the new 50 extra points under this category:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

- are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
- have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and
- have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa.

I have been working for my employer for over 2 years but my first work permit was a WHV.
I now have a Young professional (from March last year) and I am not sure if I qualify for the 50 extra points cited above.

Do you need to have been working for the employer for a year with a close work permit or you could have started with an open work permit and continue with a closed work permit?

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate.
DelPiero and I agree on about 99% of everything, this point is the exception. And the rule is too new for anyone to tell us what happened.

As far as I am concerned, you have met the first two conditions of the bullet points (as for the third condition, you do not mention anything about having a written offer of future employment for at least one year upon becoming a permanent resident).

HOWEVER - given that you are about one month away from meeting the conditions per DelPiero's interpretation, it might not hurt to wait, if you can.

Frankie2017

Jan 27, 2017
jes_ON said:
DelPiero and I agree on about 99% of everything, this point is the exception. And the rule is too new for anyone to tell us what happened.

As far as I am concerned, you have met the first two conditions of the bullet points (as for the third condition, you do not mention anything about having a written offer of future employment for at least one year upon becoming a permanent resident).

HOWEVER - given that you are about one month away from meeting the conditions per DelPiero's interpretation, it might not hurt to wait, if you can.
I am in similar situation.So do you think we can claim that 50 points