+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

5 YEAR SPONSORSHIP BAN QUESTION. URGENT!!!!!!!

rasek

Mar 28, 2016
scylla said:
When CIC talks about the date the sponsorship application was received - they're taking about the date when the sponsorship application was received to sponsor the NEW spouse - not when the original application was received for your own PR application. So if you haven't applied to sponsor your new spouse, the rule applies to you.

I need huge help from everybody please help me out to this issue.

my wife sponsored me as a spouse 2011 January 10th application received Mississauga . I came to Canada 2013 march 27th. I have already divorce in 2014 oct. now I got re marry and want to apply for my new wife .

does it apply with me 5 years bar ? or I can sponsor my new wife as cic say if cic got sponsor application before march 2 2012 ,5 years bar does not apply no matter when you got PR.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
rasek said:
I need huge help from everybody please help me out to this issue.

my wife sponsored me as a spouse 2011 January 10th application received Mississauga . I came to Canada 2013 march 27th. I have already divorce in 2014 oct. now I got re marry and want to apply for my new wife .

does it apply with me 5 years bar ? or I can sponsor my new wife as cic say if cic got sponsor application before march 2 2012 ,5 years bar does not apply no matter when you got PR.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT
Yes the 5 year bar applies to you, the earliest you will be able to submit an application until March 27, 2018.

Nyhiraba

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 23, 2015
File Transfer...
Nov 10, 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015, redone Nov 9, 2016
Interview........
Nov 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 21, 2016
LANDED..........
March 14, 2017
You are not eligible to sponsor a spouse who is a foreign national until 5years after you become a permanent resident.

F-Ray

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i was reading this post and therefore, few informations i got from different sources and opinions.

However, for myself i am still trying to figure out what this law specifically talk about and so far my personal understanding about this law can be wrong too.

Please read this as an open discussion and feedback will be highly appreciated

So let's start

At first, let's assume a person is a sponsored spouse from previous husband or wife and his or her application as a sponsored spouse was received before march 2012 to CIC and later in March 2013 he or she got PR.

and in 2015 first marriage ended and a person moved on his or her life and again married someone later in 2016 and want to sponsor new spouse.

First question is am i eligible to sponsor or not? and do i fall under 5 year ban or not so let's take it step by step.

Because before submitting an application to sponsor someone is to check person's eligibility.

So let's open the guide 5525 to check. link is giving below.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp#spouse

and see "Read more about eligibility requirements in the Complete Guide." link is given below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibility

Are you eligible to sponsor?

To sponsor, you must…

be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or permanent resident,
be 18 years of age or older,
live in Canada or have proof, if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, that you will live in Canada after the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident,
sign an undertaking promising to provide for your family member’s basic needs and, if it applies to you, those of any dependent children,
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor,
prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your spouse or partner’s dependent children. This means meeting or exceeding a minimum necessary income, which is an amount published yearly by the Canadian government. You must submit documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months only if the spouse or partner you are sponsoring has a grandchild who is coming with them (see subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information). You would not provide those documents to IRCC if you live in Quebec.

You may not be able to sponsor if you…

signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or partner and and it has not been three years since he or she became a permanent resident,
receive social assistance for a reason other than disability,
previously sponsored someone and did not pay back any social assistance that they received while the undertaking was in place.
are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond
did not pay court-ordered alimony or child support
For more information. See Defaults below.
have declared bankruptcy which has not been discharged
were convicted of
an offence of a sexual nature,
a violent crime,
an offence against a relative that caused bodily harm or
threatened or attempted to commit any of the above offences—depending on the nature of the offence, how long ago it happened and if you received a pardon
For more information. See Sponsorship Bar for Violent Crime
were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago, For more information. See Five-year Sponsorship Bar
are under a removal order,
are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,
have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or partner and haven’t received a decision.

simply click on the "see Five- year sponsorship bar" (keep in mind we are still looking a person's eligibility to sponsor someone or not). click the link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#bar

Five-year sponsorship bar for people who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner

If a spouse or partner sponsored you, you cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident.
This rule applies even if you got your Canadian citizenship within those five years. Other members of the Family Class will not be affected by the rule change.

Spouses and partners sponsored before

Date IRCC got your sponsorship application (i believe the word "YOUR" indicate the previously sponsored spouse because next line still talk about eligibility to sponsor someone.

Are you eligible to sponsor someone?

Before March 2, 2012

The five-year sponsorship bar does not apply, no matter when you became a permanent resident.

On or after March 2, 2012

The five-year sponsorship bar applies. You cannot sponsor someone until you have been a permanent resident for five years.

Again, the key word here is "Are you eligible to sponsor someone? which means, it is still talking about person eligibility to sponsor someone or not in future.

now let's take into more detail and we will see the "Operational Bulletin 386 (modified) – March 2, 2012"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob386.asp

Scenarios for previously sponsored spouses/partners:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Date of Sponsorship Application Eligibility to sponsor

Sponsorship application received prior to regulatory amendment
coming into force (prior to March 2, 2012)
Not subject to the five-year sponsorship bar regardless of date
sponsor became a PR

Sponsorship application received on or following the day the regulatory
amendment came into force(on or after March 2, 2012) Subject to the five-year sponsorship bar.
[/size][/size]
On this OB there are two words which i think according to my understanding are still talking about person's eligibility to sponsor someone

First, this law specifically address to those people who been previously sponsored by their former spouse because the key word here is "previously sponsored spouses/partners" because there is no other sponsored person who are under this law so only one "who are previously sponsored as a spouses/partners".

Second, for further authentication for "previously sponsored as a spouses/partners" the key word still here is Eligibility TO sponsor.

which indicate that "i am as a sponsor and i am looking to my eligibility to sponsor someone in future.

Therefore, i think the word used in here is "TO" which refer to future applications eligibility not under process applications.

that's why i don't think it talk about other applications who are already submitted or are under process to sponsoring a new spouse at the time of this law come into force.

i hope i clear my point so please it is an open discussion and any thought or argument will be highly appreciated to discuss

Thanks

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
F-Ray said:
i been reading this post and i am going through this so let me explain something briefly and hope it will clear some points or thoughts.

i hope i clear my point so please it open discussion and any thought or argument will be highly appreciated to discuss
I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make.

If a person was sponsored before March 2 2012, they can sponsor someone else now.

If a person received their PR before May 4th 2012, they can sponsor someone else now.

If a person was sponsored after March 2 2012, and received their PR after May 4th 2012, they cannot sponsor someone else yet.

F-Ray

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spousalsponsee said:
I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make.

If a person was sponsored before March 2 2012, they can sponsor someone else now.

If a person received their PR before May 4th 2012, they can sponsor someone else now.

If a person was sponsored after March 2 2012, and received their PR after May 4th 2012, they cannot sponsor someone else yet.
As i been talking to lawyers they are agreed on this point

If a person came as a sponsored spouse and their application was received before the march 2012 they are not fall under this 5 year law

Please do read the Operational Bulletin 386 (modified) – March 2, 2012. However, CPC-M is the one who make decisions

But "If a person was sponsored after March 2 2012, and received their PR after May 4th 2012, they cannot sponsor someone else yet". YES they can't sponsor for 5 years for sure.

F-Ray

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I highly recommend to read all the link given into post then read the post i hope it will make more sense.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
F-Ray said:
I highly recommend to read all the link given into post then read the post i hope it will make more sense.
I highly recommend not resurrecting threads that are over a year old for absolutely no reason...

F-Ray

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
I highly recommend not resurrecting threads that are over a year old for absolutely no reason...
it might not helpful for you but can be helpful for others. i hope you can see how many people read this post

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Please back up to page one and read the thread in its entirety so you may understand whether the 5 year ban applies to you or not. Scylla was quite eloquent and clear on explaining this very exact topic.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Alurra71 said:
Please back up to page one and read the thread in its entirety so you may understand whether the 5 year ban applies to you or not. Scylla was quite eloquent and clear on explaining this very exact topic.
This poster doesn't agree with my interpretation - even though we've seen refusals on this forum for people who attempted what that poster is suggesting and applied early. Ultimately his/her call. She/he is free to apply early.

Lance1412

Jun 19, 2018
Please help!
I have a similar situation that I got my PR on July 2016. I got divorced this year and I’m planning to re-marry and sponsor someone from outside Canada. Regarding the 5 years ban, can I send my application on July 2020 because it takes 1 year for them to take a look at application? Or I have to wait until July 2021?

aivanoob

Apr 8, 2021
am i under the 5 year sponsorship ban if my parents sponsored me to canada ? ive only been here for 3 months. my current age is 21 . thank you for the response

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
am i under the 5 year sponsorship ban if my parents sponsored me to canada ? ive only been here for 3 months. my current age is 21 . thank you for the response
If your parents are PR or citizens, why were you not included in the sponsorship application?