+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

48h Wait After Landing to Apply for SIN?

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Hi all,

I intend to apply in person for a SIN as soon as possible after landing as I have work lined up that I will be hoping to start within a couple of weeks of arrival. However I have just read in a wiki on another site that you need to wait 48 hours after landing to apply. I can’t find this information anywhere else or clarification that you don’t, I was hoping someone here might be able to confirm either way?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I intend to apply in person for a SIN as soon as possible after landing as I have work lined up that I will be hoping to start within a couple of weeks of arrival. However I have just read in a wiki on another site that you need to wait 48 hours after landing to apply. I can’t find this information anywhere else or clarification that you don’t, I was hoping someone here might be able to confirm either way?
Never heard of that, sounds like nonsense. You may actually be able to apply when landing, depending on facilities/availability at airport or border crossing. (We had planned to do this at airport but apparently arrived too late in evening and wasn't possible. Did it online shortly thereafter.)

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

Seems all you need is COPR (processed at landing ie signed by cbsa officer) and your foreign travel doc. Nothing about a waiting period.

You can apply online (should only take a couple weeks) or go to service canada in person if you want it faster.

I believe you may even be allowed to start work without the sin if you can show you've applied; but I am not certain about that and you should check (will also matter if your employer is comfortable with that).

Reactions: canadan_

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Never heard of that, sounds like nonsense. You may actually be able to apply when landing, depending on facilities/availability at airport or border crossing. (We had planned to do this at airport but apparently arrived too late in evening and wasn't possible. Did it online shortly thereafter.)

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html

Seems all you need is COPR (processed at landing ie signed by cbsa officer) and your foreign travel doc. Nothing about a waiting period.

You can apply online (should only take a couple weeks) or go to service canada in person if you want it faster.

I believe you may even be allowed to start work without the sin if you can show you've applied; but I am not certain about that and you should check (will also matter if your employer is comfortable with that).
Thanks so much as always for your valuable insight!

TamimIqbal

Dec 4, 2021
  • Hello Everyone,
    I just got my degree evaluated by WES, but on the report, they me 192.168.0.1 ntioned the year as 2020, but I received my degree in march 2021. Is that normal? I'm going to submit the Express Entry application, if I use this report will that be an issue as the dates are different?
    I have already submitted a contact form to WES to ask the reason and fix the issue, but haven't heard back yet.