+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

400 is the new 450! Good news!

Confused_oldman

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Confused_oldman said:
Very good point. In which case, it is more of sustaining current levels than looking to grow.
Canada's population increased by 5% in last 5 years, i.e 1% every year.
2/3rd of the increase is due to immigration.
This means even without immigration there is a 0.33% increase in population every year.
Canadians must be looking at economic growth. Hopefully, the industries are there to absorb this increased work force.

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
Confused_oldman said:
Canada's population increased by 5% in last 5 years, i.e 1% every year.
2/3rd of the increase is due to immigration.
This means even without immigration there is a 0.33% increase in population every year.
Canadians must be looking at economic growth. Hopefully, the industries are there to absorb this increased work force.
Yes that is why the report that came last year said that immigration targets should be increased to 450K per year by 2021. The main factor is the existing labour force is getting aged and the birth rate is so low to 1.6 child per family so the rate of retireing is higher than the new ones coming if they will close immigration the country will never move forward.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/02/08/canadas-fertility-rate-continues-to-put-pressure-on-immigration.html

Read this article it states these key points

Canada’s average fertility rate, which 2016 census figures released Wednesday have pegged at 1.6, slightly higher than the 1.59 posted by Statistics Canada three years earlier.

More women are choosing to start a family later in life, compared to earlier generations. In the 1960s, for instance, the average age for a first birth was about 22.

Today, that age has been pushed to 30 and beyond.

Based on a medium-growth scenario, immigration could account for more than 80 per cent of the country’s population increase beginning in 2031, the agency says. Without a sustained level of immigration, it says Canada’s growth rate could be close to zero in 20 years as the population ages and projected fertility rates lag replacement level.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monavy said:
yearly immigration at these levels is equal to 1% of the population and yet the annual population growth is 0.8% indicating a net population decline of 0.2% if immigration is closed.
how do you think a country can grow with this kind of demography?
Why does the country need to grow? Canada was fine with a lower population, and automation is destroying jobs. 20% of the labour force is involved in transportation, and there are about 20 years (if that) before those jobs are largely gone.

Population decline is a good thing.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Too much population ageing is not a good thing, and if you don't address low child birth rates in some way, then you'll have a society with too many old age people, and not enough younger, working age people. The economy will suffer, and it will take a toll on older folks who rely on younger people pouring money into the social structure which pays our their retirement checks. Statistics say that immigrants, who tend to be younger, not only start businesses at a higher rate, but also tend to have higher child birth rates than natives of the countries they go to. There has been tons of research on this, might be a good idea to read up on it.

Anything out of balance and not addressed eventually becomes a problem, just like eating too much or drinking too much. You wouldn't want too much population ageing... or too much immigration. The key is balance, i.e. controlled immigration.

monavy

Aug 20, 2013
cyt0plas said:
Why does the country need to grow? Canada was fine with a lower population, and automation is destroying jobs. 20% of the labour force is involved in transportation, and there are about 20 years (if that) before those jobs are largely gone.

US, China, India, Russia, Germany - name a powerful country with as tiny population as that of Canada.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
I lived in Canada for 5 years and moved back because I couldn'd find work in IT field. When I was job hunting I found out that there were very few jobs in engineering and management.
After today's draw, I was thinking how new immigrants are going to find work in their respective field.

monavy

Aug 20, 2013
Mthornt said:
Too much population ageing is not a good thing, and if you don't address low child birth rates in some way, then you'll have a society with too many old age people, and not enough younger, working age people. The economy will suffer, and it will take a toll on older folks who rely on younger people pouring money into the social structure which pays our their retirement checks. Statistics say that immigrants, who tend to be younger, not only start businesses at a higher rate, but also tend to have higher child birth rates than natives of the countries they go to. There has been tons of research on this, might be a good idea to read up on it.

Anything out of balance and not addressed eventually becomes a problem, just like eating too much or drinking too much. You wouldn't want too much population ageing... or too much immigration. The key is balance, i.e. controlled immigration.
Correct. in fact last year a research was done and the report recommended an annual immigration levels of 450K for next few years. considering it, present levels are far below the required levels.

monavy

Aug 20, 2013
can_indian said:
I lived in Canada for 5 years and moved back because I couldn'd find work in IT field. When I was job hunting I found out that there were very few jobs in engineering and management.
After today's draw, I was thinking how new immigrants are going to find work in their respective field.
What field in IT were you looking for? I have numerous friends and all of them are having good jobs. I know few people who got PR, landed and came back to their country and were offered a job while they were offshore.
it depends on how much experience you have, what field you are in, etc. What field in IT were you searching a job?

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
cyt0plas said:

Because more people means more opportunity. Immigrants dont always do jobs I know many of my relatives who have opened businesses in Canada like restaurants shops etc. Eventually creating jobs for more people existing people will not contribute in economy.

Canada's GDP growth rate has been lagging to 1% because of low and aged population. India has a growth rate of 7% because of the high population if canada blood in youth in coming next 10-15 years its economy will boom again.

Navrattan

Star Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,
Please help, i am trapped in following situation:
I received ITA on 13th April,2017.My score is 429.I got placed in a company through college.My college allowed me to join company in 8th semester.I mentioned in EE profile that i started working on 31st March,2014.Same date is mentioned on my employment documents.From 20th April,2014 to 28th May,2014 i took leave and went for examination.I was issued 8th semester mark sheet on 12th June,2014.Will CIC consider this as my experience?
because this makes my score 429 otherwise it will drop to 404.What should i do now?
Please reply i need help, i am worried!!!

One more thing,i got ontario NOI when my score was 404 and applied for pnp nomination.If i change starting date of my work in EE profile.Will that be a problem?

Please suggest what should i do in above case.

Thanks in advance!

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
xpressentry said:
At the end of the day, it is a phase. Countries will take in as many people as they want and once they fill their quota, they will close doors.
I'm sure that's the truth however the implications on Canada for what is happening right now could be long lasting. In future I fear they may be turning away doctors and software engineers because they are admitting so many cooks and admin clerks this year. It would be a shame if Canada had to go in the same direction as Australia or the UK in a few years from now.

tomneversfield

May 8, 2015
USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
8/10/2015
Med's Done....
7/28/2015
Passport Req..
12/22/2015
Bloodrose said:
I'm sure that's the truth however the implications on Canada for what is happening right now could be long lasting. In future I fear they may be turning away doctors and software engineers because they are admitting so many cooks and admin clerks this year. It would be a shame if Canada had to go in the same direction as Australia or the UK in a few years from now.
I'm curious to understand how admitting so many cooks and admin clerks would turn away doctors and software engineers? Also what's the direction that Australia and UK are taking? Please explain

raven00090

Oct 27, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
tomneversfield said:
We, the group of AOR August 2015 (oldies) are very happy for the new pool of immigrants! In 2015 and 2016 the scores never went below 450 and there were hundreds (if not thousands) of broken hearts. I'm sincerely happy for many of those who were stuck and now got an invitation. I feel, and i hope, it'll keep going down till it reaches 400 this year. And who knows, it may even go below 400! ;D
Hello Tom, thanks for not being one of the reactionary individuals who tend to align themselves in thoughts with right leaning people for whom immigrants in general are scapegoats for every negative thing. Here at Canadavisa as you know, most of us know we are all in this together. Everyone can and will try to get a better life for themselves. Congratulations to everyone who has been painfully waiting for so long. I hope that the invitation emails made you really happy. All the best.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Navrattan said:
Hello Everyone,
Please help, i am trapped in following situation:
I received ITA on 13th April,2017.My score is 429.I got placed in a company through college.My college allowed me to join company in 8th semester.
Your college is no one to make that decision. Did you have a valid work permit?

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
tomneversfield said:
I'm curious to understand how admitting so many cooks and admin clerks would turn away doctors and software engineers? Also what's the direction that Australia and UK are taking? Please explain
Those two countries have all but closed their doors at this point and NZ is looking to follow suit.

Like those two countries, Canada has a welfare state. It isn't a social battle royale like the United States and has a responsibility to provide welfare for any immigrants that it takes. If this numbers over the next couple of years become unsustainable then Canada will need to take a much tougher stance on immigration applications in the future.

The UK for example already insists on a masters degree before it will even consider an application for skills-based permanent immigration and there are almost no routes left for foreign students in Britain to become permanent residents.