+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 months break between two 1 year courses. Will it affect work permit?

Stefo

Sep 28, 2017
Is it possible to take 4 months break after a 1 year PG diploma course and enroll into another 1 year PG diploma course and get a 3 year work permit by clubbing the 2 courses?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it should work provided both programs are with public colleges.

Note that you cannot work at all during the four months in between the two programs (not even part time). We've seen a few PGWPs recently refused where people worked illegally between two programs. So you need to be able to support yourself in Canada for four months without working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefo

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes - it should work provided both programs are with private colleges.

Note that you cannot work at all during the four months in between the two programs (not even part time). We've seen a few PGWPs recently refused where people worked illegally between two programs. So you need to be able to support yourself in Canada for four months without working.
Assume you meant public colleges not private colleges ?

Reactions: scylla and Stefo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Stefo

Sep 28, 2017
Yes - it should work provided both programs are with private colleges.

What if i take the second course in another province?
Can i club the 2 courses and get 3 year work permit?
Can i work as a volunteer during the break?

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
What if i take the second course in another province?
Can i club the 2 courses and get 3 year work permit?
Can i work as a volunteer during the break?
taking second course in another province won't impact your pgwp eligibility (as long as other things suffice)

jaideepsingh

Sep 28, 2017
respected members , I have done two one year pg certificate courses back to back in 16 months.[i did not take breaks], I want to know what will be the duration of my pgwp.
secondly, i want to know whether i will be eligible for canada experiance class, as the cic website says you should have done a qualifying diploma or degree and than a pg diploma. I want to know are two pg certificates back to back also eligible for cec

jagdeep22

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Yes - it should work provided both programs are with public colleges.

Never post your personal views,

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
150 day rule is new. It was introduced in March of this year (you're responding to a thread from last year). This change is a good move by CIC as we previously saw quite a number of people on this forum have their PGWP refused because they took four month breaks between programs and worked during that time.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

jagdeep22

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Ok my bad
150 day rule is new. It was introduced in March of this year (you're responding to a thread from last year). This change is a good move by CIC as we previously saw quite a number of people on this forum have their PGWP refused because they took four month breaks between programs and worked during that time.
, I just want to highlight as long as student is enrolled they can work full time in their GAP and their is no need to worry about PGWP.

P.S How can we know when the rule has changed like which date or year ?

Romal7

Jul 2, 2018

Hey.. actually I have this same situation
Last I completed my two year course in April and then I got late to apply for work permit so the application got refused in September so I had to take one more course of a year which started in January 2018. I was worried about my work permit so I called cic they told me it’s ok with 8 months off and students can take upto year off after a course. I am really worried about this. Can you pls help..