+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 years UK Dual Degree from Malaysia accepted in Canada for Masters?

ItzRose

Oct 11, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm a recent high school graduate, still choosing universities.
After completing my Bachelor's (Computer Science) in Malaysia, I want to come to Canada for my Masters.
Now, most universities in Malaysia offer 3 years BSc programs, and I got a scholarship offer from a good one, Sunway university, which will also offer me a Dual Degree (Both Bachelors) from Lancaster University UK.
Now, when I checked the Masters requirements for Canadian universities, it was written 3 years Bachelors from UK is accepted, but from Malaysia they need 4 years.
My question is, will I be rejected then? Because even though I'm getting a degree from UK, my professor's recommendations etc everything will be from Malaysia. Isn't it?
So, is it worth the risk?
Deadlines have already passed for Malaysian unis with 4 years Bachelors, and so I have to give a year loss and get admitted next year then.
Or get enrolled in Sunway with the risk.
I can't decide what to do, please help!

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Hi everyone, I'm a recent high school graduate, still choosing universities.
After completing my Bachelor's (Computer Science) in Malaysia, I want to come to Canada for my Masters.
Now, most universities in Malaysia offer 3 years BSc programs, and I got a scholarship offer from a good one, Sunway university, which will also offer me a Dual Degree (Both Bachelors) from Lancaster University UK.
Now, when I checked the Masters requirements for Canadian universities, it was written 3 years Bachelors from UK is accepted, but from Malaysia they need 4 years.
My question is, will I be rejected then? Because even though I'm getting a degree from UK, my professor's recommendations etc everything will be from Malaysia. Isn't it?
So, is it worth the risk?
Deadlines have already passed for Malaysian unis with 4 years Bachelors, and so I have to give a year loss and get admitted next year then.
Or get enrolled in Sunway with the risk.
I can't decide what to do, please help!
It might be a bit too early to think about masters in Canada (I understand the worries, also planned the same complicated schemes after high school, but as Time moves on rules change). If your diploma paper says that it is UK, then you just have to explain it to the universities (and some might allow exceptions if the curriculum quality seems to be of equal weight). But once again, too early to worry

ItzRose

Oct 11, 2020
It might be a bit too early to think about masters in Canada (I understand the worries, also planned the same complicated schemes after high school, but as Time moves on rules change). If your diploma paper says that it is UK, then you just have to explain it to the universities (and some might allow exceptions if the curriculum quality seems to be of equal weight). But once again, too early to worry
I'm not talking about any diploma but Bachelors. Apparently, I'll be given 2 degrees. One from Sunway uni (Malaysia) and another from Lancaster uni (UK).
Now, generally, if I submit the Lancaster uni degree for my Master's, I should be accepted as it's from the UK and they do accept UK 3 year long Bachelors. But when I submit the projects I've done, professors' recommendations etc... they'll be from Sunway, so will this cause any issue?
And, I don't think it's ever too early to worry. It's good to know what can go wrong and avoid the wrong choices from the beginning.

ItzRose

Oct 11, 2020
omg i studied in sunway for like 3yrs lol
Hi, good to find a Sunwayian, so quick :)
How was your experience studying there?
Did you later study abroad for further education, like Masters? Did the 3 year degree cause any issue?

GabrielW

Aug 24, 2020
Hi, good to find a Sunwayian, so quick :)
How was your experience studying there?
Did you later study abroad for further education, like Masters? Did the 3 year degree cause any issue?
I did my high school and foundation there, their high school and foundation (CIMP) are all Canadian based so I'm currently doing online sem in a Canadian uni, you can email the Sunway international office to ask about the issue of the degree they really can help a lot with this kinda stuff.

The experience there are great like the school is really diverse, you can find people from all over the world, and Sunway as a private university their facilities are also really good (obviously with that expensive tuition fee lol)
But if you are planning to stay in Malaysia after your graduation, or find a job in Malaysia as a foreigner, it will be super hard, for some majors could be almost impossible; however, if you want to use Malaysia/Sunway as a transit to Canada or other countries it is a really good option here (cuz the relatively cheaper cost and high-quality education).
Just a heads up that renting an apartment in Sunway is CRAZY expensive, but it's not like unbearable; the food there is nice, and you can take a taxi and party in KL sometime during the weekend its like super fun. I had some best times with some of the best people I ever meet in my life in Sunway, so I hope you can have a good time too.

I had to leave like a month ago cuz I'm heading to Canada, but your dream can start there.

ItzRose

Oct 11, 2020
I did my high school and foundation there, their high school and foundation (CIMP) are all Canadian based so I'm currently doing online sem in a Canadian uni, you can email the Sunway international office to ask about the issue of the degree they really can help a lot with this kinda stuff.

The experience there are great like the school is really diverse, you can find people from all over the world, and Sunway as a private university their facilities are also really good (obviously with that expensive tuition fee lol)
But if you are planning to stay in Malaysia after your graduation, or find a job in Malaysia as a foreigner, it will be super hard, for some majors could be almost impossible; however, if you want to use Malaysia/Sunway as a transit to Canada or other countries it is a really good option here (cuz the relatively cheaper cost and high-quality education).
Just a heads up that renting an apartment in Sunway is CRAZY expensive, but it's not like unbearable; the food there is nice, and you can take a taxi and party in KL sometime during the weekend its like super fun. I had some best times with some of the best people I ever meet in my life in Sunway, so I hope you can have a good time too.

I had to leave like a month ago cuz I'm heading to Canada, but your dream can start there.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. Much appreciated :)

Yeah, you're right, Sunway is quite expensive haha.. truly, it was not on my list until they offered me entrance scholarship (RM 11,000) after I submitted my A level results. If I can maintain my results for 3 years, I can get 11k off every year, so that's what got me interested.
I do not plan to stay in Malaysia after my Bachelors, but say if I have to stay temporarily and get some work experience before going abroad for further education, what do you think of my major, Computer science? Is the job market good for tech industry majors in Malaysia? I do believe locals should be offered the positions first, followed by foreigners when demand exceeds the supply of hireable candidates.
I agree, rent is really expensive too, but I'll be staying with my parents, so phew hahaha (My parents hold MM2H visa)

Glad to know you had a good time there :) I hope you have a good time in your Canadian uni too.
I'm still torn between Sunway and UTM, I can get into both with my results... the difference is the fees (UTM is cheaper, as you can guess) and the length of the course (3 years for Sunway, and 4 for UTM), if my Sunway degree isn't accepted in Canada later, that will be a big issue then.
I'll contact Sunway, ask if their 3-year degree is equivalent to Canadian 4 years or not, and if they can produce the right documents to support their statement when the time comes.
Hey, do you know any social media group or something where I can talk to ex students of Sunway? I believe that could help me clear my doubts.
Once again, thank you for your response, Have a great day! <3

raka1

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
equivalency of 3 year Malaysian degree (if completed with A level or STPM) will be 4 year bachelor degree in Canada.
thats why dont worry about it
u can go and check from WES degree assessment tool (can find from google)

Reactions: ItzRose

ItzRose

Oct 11, 2020
equivalency of 3 year Malaysian degree (if completed with A level or STPM) will be 4 year bachelor degree in Canada.
thats why dont worry about it
u can go and check from WES degree assessment tool (can find from google)
I'm very shocked and surprised to see, both UTM and Sunway don't appear on WES site! Does that mean, none are accreditated in Canada?