+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 YEAR WORK PERMIT

Maniyate

Mar 2, 2017
tks bro... As I understand, they treat 16 months course as 2 years, accordingly the university issues a letter stating it is a two years course and then we can apply for 3 work permit. Is that correct?

Aftermath

Star Member
Dec 25, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I hope this is helpful. It is from CIC (IRCC) official site.

Officers may issue three-year work permits to individuals who complete a master’s degree in Canada when the DLI has confirmed in the written confirmation of program completion (e.g., an official letter or transcript) that the degree is 16 to 23 months in duration and does not include regularly scheduled breaks.
Check here,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

pritpal0882

May 31, 2016
Below is the answer:-

Work permits issued under the PGWPP may be valid for up to three years. When determining the length of a post-graduation work permit that can be issued, officers should consider the program length as confirmed by the DLI in the written confirmation of program completion (e.g., an official letter or transcript). Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should be included in the time accumulated toward the length of the work permit.

Examples:

If the duration of the program of study is at least eight months but less than two years, the duration of the work permit should coincide with that of the program of study as confirmed by the DLI in the written confirmation of program completionFootnote 1 (e.g., an official letter or transcript). Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should not be subtracted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.
If the duration of the program of study is two years or longer as confirmed by the DLI, the duration of the work permit should be three years. Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should not be subtracted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.
If a student obtained a one-year degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada, the duration of the work permit may be up to three years.

Feb 27, 2017
pritpal0882 said:
Below is the answer:-

Work permits issued under the PGWPP may be valid for up to three years. When determining the length of a post-graduation work permit that can be issued, officers should consider the program length as confirmed by the DLI in the written confirmation of program completion (e.g., an official letter or transcript). Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should be included in the time accumulated toward the length of the work permit.

Examples:

If the duration of the program of study is at least eight months but less than two years, the duration of the work permit should coincide with that of the program of study as confirmed by the DLI in the written confirmation of program completionFootnote 1 (e.g., an official letter or transcript). Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should not be subtracted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.
If the duration of the program of study is two years or longer as confirmed by the DLI, the duration of the work permit should be three years. Regularly scheduled breaks (e.g., regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks) should not be subtracted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.
If a student obtained a one-year degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, another degree, diploma or certificate from an eligible institution in Canada, the duration of the work permit may be up to three years.

nmehra6613

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
There is no particular norm for these courses (16+ months). You may end up with a work permit with anything between 16 months to 3 years. This is all under the purview of the visa officers.

I recently completed a 1 year MBA from Canada, international students at my school received work permit ranging from 1 year to 3 years. Me being the person at the lower end of the spectrum :(

iamhayer

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
You will get 3 year OWP. All of my friends who studied more than one year, received three year OWP. Make sure your passport is valid for more than 3 years or your WP may expire earlier with passport expiry date