+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 PGWP validity

bhagath348

Mar 31, 2018
Hi
What are the chances of getting 3 years PGWP with 1 +1 year post graduation diplomas.
Did any one you know received 3 years pgwp with this case?

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Yes, someone I know has recently got 3yrs with combination of 1+1 program. :)

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Hi
What are the chances of getting 3 years PGWP with 1 +1 year post graduation diplomas.
Did any one you know received 3 years pgwp with this case?
At best it is a 50-50 chance that you may either get a 2 years or a 3 years PGWP because the rules laid down are not succinct and thus open to multiple interpretation depending upon the case officer.
I know of 3 specific cases where PGWP of different validity were issued even though the duration of study was the same.

overhaul03

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
At best it is a 50-50 chance that you may either get a 2 years or a 3 years PGWP because the rules laid down are not succinct and thus open to multiple interpretation depending upon the case officer.
I know of 3 specific cases where PGWP of different validity were issued even though the duration of study was the same.
can you just tell me after work permit is over , how do we continue to work in canada ? this is regarding one year courses

overhaul03

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
you need to get pr within your workpermit duration.
And you can’t extend pgwp. You get it only once.
after completing my course what is the total duration i can stay including pgwp and the cooldown period of completing my degree and working somewhere ? this is regarding one year progs

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Your chances of securing a PR with a one year PGWP is at best slim if not impossible.
For you to secure a PR under Canadian Experience Class stream you need a minimum of 1560 hours of skilled experience in a NOC O/A/B category job. This can be possible only if you can secure a job as soon as you finish college which seems impossible now considering the current employment scenario.
So IMO you should look to study a year more in order to secure a longer PGWP.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
after completing my course what is the total duration i can stay including pgwp and the cooldown period of completing my degree and working somewhere ? this is regarding one year progs
One year of eligible study program = 1 year work permit so you have to leave by the end of your permit validity.
The only option left is to apply to change your status from worker to a visitor but that is not going to solve anything except maybe let you live here for a temporary extended period if you are approved.
Once you finish your study there is no such thing as a cooling down period you have to stop working immediately and can only resume work once you have applied for a PGWP ( under implied status ).

overhaul03

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
One year of eligible study program = 1 year work permit so you have to leave by the end of your permit validity.
The only option left is to apply to change your status from worker to a visitor but that is not going to solve anything except maybe let you live here for a temporary extended period if you are approved.
Once you finish your study there is no such thing as a cooling down period you have to stop working immediately and can only resume work once you have applied for a PGWP ( under implied status ).
ya actually i am asking that only like after i am done with my study for an year and apply for pgwp do those applying months count as i have heard it takes time to get that pgwp ? as in study year 1 year + 2 months approx study permit application + 1 year job or its like my pgwp duration starts after completion of my study ?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
ya actually i am asking that only like after i am done with my study for an year and apply for pgwp do those applying months count as i have heard it takes time to get that pgwp ? as in study year 1 year + 2 months approx study permit application + 1 year job or its like my pgwp duration starts after completion of my study ?
PGWP will begin not when you apply but when you receive. Technically, in between that time you are allowed to work so your actual PGWP may be greater than the 1 year. However, like mentioned above, getting a job especially with 'implied status' is no easy feat not to mention when you mention to employers you can only work for a year.

overhaul03

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
PGWP will begin not when you apply but when you receive. Technically, in between that time you are allowed to work so your actual PGWP may be greater than the 1 year. However, like mentioned above, getting a job especially with 'implied status' is no easy feat not to mention when you mention to employers you can only work for a year.
and like is there any time frame like in how many months i should apply for the pgwp ? if also get extra pgwp by opting for 1+1 courses like the post is about .

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
and like is there any time frame like in how many months i should apply for the pgwp ? if also get extra pgwp by opting for 1+1 courses like the post is about .
Regarding the time frame:
Applicants must apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) within 180 days of obtaining written confirmation, such as an official letter or transcript, from the designated learning institution (DLI) indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.

Calculation of the 180 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first. The onus is on the applicant to provide proof of the date the transcript is received. Officers may also confirm this date with the DLI.

Applicants may apply for a PGWP from within Canada if

their study permit is still valid
they have a valid visitor record because they changed their status to visitor status before their study permit expired, while waiting for their notice of graduation from their institution, or simply to remain in Canada. However, they would not be eligible to work while waiting for a decision on their PGWP application as per paragraph R186(w)
they are on implied status, meaning they submitted an application to extend or change their status to visitor or student before the expiry date of their study permit and no decision has been made.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
Regarding the other question you have to start a new course once you finish your current and on its completion apply for a PGWP.