+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 months period with outside recruiter

salvadorposse

Apr 27, 2017
Hi, my wife will have a year of canadian work experience in September and we will get enough points to receive an invitation.

She has been in the same position in the same company, but was hired through an outside recruiter, the first 3 months of probation period was being paid by them, and that's the employer name shown in the T4.

My question is, do we have to fill 2 separate work experience positions with separate employers and get 2 different letters from the employer and the outside recruiting company or just 1 and explain in the letter this situation?

Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi, my wife will have a year of canadian work experience in September and we will get enough points to receive an invitation.

She has been in the same position in the same company, but was hired through an outside recruiter, the first 3 months of probation period was being paid by them, and that's the employer name shown in the T4.

My question is, do we have to fill 2 separate work experience positions with separate employers and get 2 different letters from the employer and the outside recruiting company or just 1 and explain in the letter this situation?
The company that pays her is the employer. Your wife had one position, with one employer and one client, at least for the first 3 months.

It is not clear if she was paid by the agency only for 3 months, and is now on the payroll of the (former client).. If she is still on the agency payroll, that is her employer, and she needs a letter from both the employer and the client. If she only worked for 3 months through the agency, and then changed to be an employee of the client company, then yes, those are 2 different jobs.

salvadorposse

Apr 27, 2017
The company that pays her is the employer. Your wife had one position, with one employer and one client, at least for the first 3 months.

It is not clear if she was paid by the agency only for 3 months, and is now on the payroll of the (former client).. If she is still on the agency payroll, that is her employer, and she needs a letter from both the employer and the client. If she only worked for 3 months through the agency, and then changed to be an employee of the client company, then yes, those are 2 different jobs.
She was paid by the agency only for those 3 months.

So will need 2 letters then...
I know we have to wait until she has exacly the year of experience to proceed with an ITA..
But, any idea when does the system assign the points? Begging or end of the month? As the system doesn't let you choose exact date...

luagraf_1984

Oct 3, 2018
Is this true? This would be such a relief to me. I have a year minus 3 weeks of 40 hour a week fullltime work for same client (A downtown digital agency) through a recruitment agency (who dudcted taxes gave met T4 yadayada). So would I put the work experience down as (recruiters name?) or the client (I'm a graphic designer). And then attach both reference letters - what would the recruiter say? They only put me through to the client and then payed my wages?

I would really like to have all these months as work experience as I plan to come on a second Working Holidauy (YP) which is again a year so I'd be in step one and not being able to apply again til very end of it and then be work permitless again :(!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Is this true? This would be such a relief to me.
Yes,you can use work experience gained through an agency. However, you should note that you can only use experience from the past 3 years (at the time you apply) for the one year qualification. So depending on timing (when you complete your year, submit your profile, get an ITA, and submit your application), you would just have to be sure that you still have one year within the previous 3 years (yes, it would expire on a rolling, day-by-day basis...)

I have a year minus 3 weeks of 40 hour a week fullltime work for same client (A downtown digital agency) through a recruitment agency (who dudcted taxes gave met T4 yadayada). So would I put the work experience down as (recruiters name?) or the client (I'm a graphic designer).
You have to put your employer's name (the company that paid you, in your case, the agency).

And then attach both reference letters - what would the recruiter say? They only put me through to the client and then payed my wages?

See the section, "Proof of work experience."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

The agency should include your job title, dates of employment, salary/wages plus benefits (if applicable), and information on your assignment.

The client letter should also include title or role, dates of assignment, and job duties/responsibilities.

Last edited: