+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3-month waiting period for OHIP and pregnancy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I am Permanent Resident and my wife is on Visitor Visa. I have applied for her Spouse PR under Family Sponsorship and Biometric, Medical, CSQ is all complete. We are on Background step. My wife is expecting a baby in July/August. I have a health card in Quebec but she doesn't as Quebec doesn't allow for Visitors.
My question is, if I move to Ontario next month, will she be eligible for Health card because her Immigration is in process.
Is it easy to get a doctor for delivery in Ontario?

Thanks!
As already indicated if your spouse does not have AIP or has OWP and has scheduled job in Ontario that will last over 6 months she would not qualify for OHIP. Realistically you will have to pay for at least part of her maternity care in Canada and hope she gets approved before she delivers. Finding an OB accepting private pay patients can be challenging as well because most OB practices are full just with provincial patients and doctors are supposed to prioritize provincial patients first. The cost of care is typically less expensive in Quebec so you will to seek out where you can find a private OB willing to take you and also contact local hospitals about private pay patients and what is possible, payment arrangements if they accept private pay patients, etc. Technically if you walk into a hospital in labour they must admit you because it is a medical emergency but prenatal care is very important so I would not advise people skip all prenatal care just to stay in Canada. If you don’t have the funds to pay out of pocket for care then your spouse may have to consider returning to your home country until she has guaranteed coverage.

I predicted there would be a large number of pregnant women without health coverage when it became easier to get a TRV for spouses of PRs and citizens. This really should be highlighted when people apply because many are ending up with same issues creating financial problems for the couples and strain on the healthcare system. Uncomplicated vaginal delivery with epidural and hospital stay for 2-3 days maximum from admission is typically around 10k or less. C-sections will be closer to 15k+. Any complications will be added charges. Because the system is not private fees can vary between healthcare providers and hospitals. Healthcare is also provincial so costs also can vary by provinces and differences can be up to a few thousand dollars at times.

Last edited: