+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 degrees no job offer !

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 3 degrees that including a masters here in Canada, I'm searching for a job in my field for almost 3 months now and no luck. I only had only 2 phone interviews so far. I thought I nailed it when one interviewer said that I am the top applicant they got (It is a very big multinational company, I know they even only consider top 1% for their interviews). But after 2 weeks i got a rejection letter saying they selected some one else :p. I really don't know whats wrong with me :( :mad:, my resume seems to be perfectly fine and it reached there and served it's purpose (which is to get a phone interview). I am discouraged now and don't know what to do :'(, any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you !

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
sana123 said:
I have 3 degrees that including a masters here in Canada, I'm searching for a job in my field for almost 3 months now and no luck. I only had only 2 phone interviews so far. I thought I nailed it when one interviewer said that I am the top applicant they got (It is a very big multinational company, I know they even only consider top 1% for their interviews). But after 2 weeks i got a rejection letter saying they selected some one else :p. I really don't know whats wrong with me :( :mad:, my resume seems to be perfectly fine and it reached there and served it's purpose (which is to get a phone interview). I am discouraged now and don't know what to do :'(, any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you !
just keep trying, perseverance is the key

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
sana123 said:
In 6 mos, you'll have applied to all the companies you can apply in Canada, often more than twice. Some will leave Canada because they have no choice but to leave as they don't have any savings, but many people stick around much longer, often for yrs, encouraged by a few interviews they got, whether it's an initial phone interview or an in-person interview later. However, in a couple of yrs of unsuccessful job searching in your field, you'll have exhausted all your savings.... A very family story. That's how this CA immigration ponzi scheme works. You'll learn it soon, buddy. Cheer up!

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@kingkong

Very disappointing post... Is it so bad to find a job here? I have heard many students after grad move to usa for jobs? Whats the reality of it?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Can.ott said:
@ kingkong

Very disappointing post... Is it so bad to find a job here? I have heard many students after grad move to usa for jobs? Whats the reality of it?
Some people in this forum are just spreading negative energy & thoughts..yet they don't/can't offer any piece of advice,
better not waste time reading their comments as it wouldn't help in anyway.

Finding a job is difficult, yet not impossible. Some people make it in the first year or 2 while others don't...it depends on your profession, your transferable skills,your connections/network in canada and your luck!! Just be prepared for the worst, have a
plan (multiple plans would be even better) to succeed and hope for the best.

The best thing to do would be to connect with successful people in your own field, understand from them the job requirements
and what the hiring companies need, then perform "gap analysis" and identify the skills you would need to develop/improve/enhance to reach the level wanted by the hiring companies it could be language skills, technical skills, industry certifications, softskills, local market knowledge or ....anything else, you need to find that out.

You are establishing yourself in a new country where no-one knows you ...so yes the beginning will not be easy, its very normal that
at times you'll feel very optimistic and encouraged, while at other times you'll feel very depressed....but if you remain focused you'll
be able to reach your target.

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
Well I am sort of sailing in the same boat as you. I have a bachelor's degree from India, a Master's degree from the UK, and another Master's degree from here in Canada.
It's been 3 months and I can't even find an entry level part-time job in GTA. I mean I can understand that I am a newcomer so I can't expect to be hired for a proper job in field straightaway, but it's hopeless even for menial jobs which any tom, dick and harry can do.

But, we can't afford to lose hope. We made this choice of immigrating to Canada under full knowledge of how bad the job market is, so perseverance is the key!

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this problem of job limited with certain fields of study or is it effecting every one?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Can.ott said:
Is this problem of job limited with certain fields of study or is it effecting every one?
Some fields are impacted more than others...its obviously harder to get employed for someone who's field is "regulated" in canada (such as doctor, dentist, ...). While entry to "non-regulated professions (such as IT and Telecommunications) might be easier.

However its a general situation that all newcomers face difficulties.

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ameet747 said:
Well I am sort of sailing in the same boat as you. I have a bachelor's degree from India, a Master's degree from the UK, and another Master's degree from here in Canada.
It's been 3 months and I can't even find an entry level part-time job in GTA. I mean I can understand that I am a newcomer so I can't expect to be hired for a proper job in field straightaway, but it's hopeless even for menial jobs which any tom, dick and harry can do.

But, we can't afford to lose hope. We made this choice of immigrating to Canada under full knowledge of how bad the job market is, so perseverance is the key!
I can feel your pain, I was also thinking like that, I am simply over qualified for most of the entry-level jobs. I think they prefer a fresh graduate than us who will be seaching for "better jobs" even if got an entry level jobs. Most of other jobs need experiences in very narrow fields. Getting a masters or PhD sholarship is damn easy compaired with this. But anyways I feel much better when I think im not alone here and love your feedbacks !

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
sana123 said:
I can feel your pain, I was also thinking like that, I am simply over qualified for most of the entry-level jobs. I think they prefer a fresh graduate than us who will be seaching for "better jobs" even if got an entry level jobs. Most of other jobs need experiences in very narrow fields. Getting a masters or PhD sholarship is damn easy compaired with this. But anyways I feel much better when I think im not alone here and love your feedbacks !
whats your professional field(s) by the way?

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
kingkong1 has just summarized the experience of my first 5 months here. Over this period, I applied to each relevant company at least twice and only got two interview calls (both from call centres for a minimum wage jobs). I worked 2 months at a call centre too but left voluntarily because of unrealistic sales quota they demanded from us (sell 9 products on 15 income calls, where all calls are angry complaints from existing clients). Then I went home for 1 month to calm down and now I am back.

Like the author of this post I have several degrees - BA, MSc Economics from UK and PhD Economics (UK as well, passed thesis defense and awaiting official award). I do not know whether this situation has to do with poor employability of economists, non-recognition of non-canadian degrees or incorrect job search tactics, but this is the reality I am facing.

kingkong1 said:
In 6 mos, you'll have applied to all the companies you can apply in Canada, often more than twice. Some will leave Canada because they have no choice but to leave as they don't have any savings, but many people stick around much longer, often for yrs, encouraged by a few interviews they got, whether it's an initial phone interview or an in-person interview later. However, in a couple of yrs of unsuccessful job searching in your field, you'll have exhausted all your savings.... A very family story. That's how this CA immigration ponzi scheme works. You'll learn it soon, buddy. Cheer up!

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
Ketevan said:
kingkong1 has just summarized the experience of my first 5 months here. Over this period, I applied to each relevant company at least twice and only got two interview calls (both from call centres for a minimum wage jobs). I worked 2 months at a call centre too but left voluntarily because of unrealistic sales quota they demanded from us (sell 9 products on 15 income calls, where all calls are angry complaints from existing clients). Then I went home for 1 month to calm down and now I am back.

Like the author of this post I have several degrees - BA, MSc Economics from UK and PhD Economics (UK as well, passed thesis defense and awaiting official award). I do not know whether this situation has to do with poor employability of economists, non-recognition of non-canadian degrees or incorrect job search tactics, but this is the reality I am facing.
Even I have received only 3 interview calls so far and all for a call centre job! But, to be fair...things weren't any better for me even in the UK...all I kept getting was call centre interviews. I guess ultimately we'd have to move to more 'off-beat' places like Saskatchewan or Victoria Island in BC etc...or may be small cities in Alberta....but either way, things are look bleak with no way to undo the decision to come to this country.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
I got a new call centre job today. I printed my CV this morning (I deleted all degrees from it!) and went in person to the centre. The recruiter invited me to a computer test, then conducted interview and finally gave me my contract. Starting on Monday. I will need to pass exam after the training, so it is early to get excited about the escape from unemployment, but I will work on it.

In my 5 years in UK i did not get any job either (except teaching assistantship which almost all PhD students get), but I had no work permit, so I cannot conclude anything on the job market in UK.

I do not believe that I will be better off in remote provinces. My NOC was economic policy analyst. The number of vacancies in this field every year hardly reaches 10 and all of them are concentrated in GTA or Ottawa. But for some NOCs a relocation may bring results.

And what is your field?

ameet747 said:
Even I have received only 3 interview calls so far and all for a call centre job! But, to be fair...things weren't any better for me even in the UK...all I kept getting was call centre interviews. I guess ultimately we'd have to move to more 'off-beat' places like Saskatchewan or Victoria Island in BC etc...or may be small cities in Alberta....but either way, things are look bleak with no way to undo the decision to come to this country.

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
Ketevan said:
I got a new call centre job today. I printed my CV this morning (I deleted all degrees from it!) and went in person to the centre. The recruiter invited me to a computer test, then conducted interview and finally gave me my contract. Starting on Monday. I will need to pass exam after the training, so it is early to get excited about the escape from unemployment, but I will work on it.

In my 5 years in UK i did not get any job either (except teaching assistantship which almost all PhD students get), but I had no work permit, so I cannot conclude anything on the job market in UK.

I do not believe that I will be better off in remote provinces. My NOC was economic policy analyst. The number of vacancies in this field every year hardly reaches 10 and all of them are concentrated in GTA or Ottawa. But for some NOCs a relocation may bring results.

And what was is your field?
I have a Master's in International Business from the UK, and now I am about to graduate with a Master's in Management here in Ontario. On paper, there's no better province for business management professionals than Ontario but then again, the competition here is immense and it's not as if I have any concrete managerial work experience that I can put on my resume! I don't think I am actually going to a remote province like Saskatchewan or Manitoba but it does make me re-think my strategy at times when I keep hearing that how there are so many jobs in Alberta, Saskatchewan etc. But, life in these remote provinces will be so sad and depressing, especially in the brutal winters that I'd rather go back home to India than live there.
I would love to live in Vancouver though...the weather's exactly like the UK and it's very scenic as well. But beggars aren't choosers! Where did you live in the UK by the way?

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Ketevan said:

And what is your field?
Congrats on your job. I thought about asking you not to list your PhD when you apply for minimum wage jobs. Glad you've already done that and got a new job!