NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Thanks a lot kingkong1!
kingkong1 said:
Congrats on your job. I thought about asking you not to list your PhD when you apply for minimum wage jobs. Glad you've already done that and got a new job!

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
I lived 5 years in Scotland and in 5 years I never even had a chance to put on a T-shirt as temperature never rose above +15. I would rather live in Saskatoon - at least it has summer.

ameet747 said:
I have a Master's in International Business from the UK, and now I am about to graduate with a Master's in Management here in Ontario. On paper, there's no better province for business management professionals than Ontario but then again, the competition here is immense and it's not as if I have any concrete managerial work experience that I can put on my resume! I don't think I am actually going to a remote province like Saskatchewan or Manitoba but it does make me re-think my strategy at times when I keep hearing that how there are so many jobs in Alberta, Saskatchewan etc. But, life in these remote provinces will be so sad and depressing, especially in the brutal winters that I'd rather go back home to India than live there.
I would love to live in Vancouver though...the weather's exactly like the UK and it's very scenic as well. But beggars aren't choosers! Where did you live in the UK by the way?

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ketevan said:
I got a new call centre job today. I printed my CV this morning (I deleted all degrees from it!) and went in person to the centre. The recruiter invited me to a computer test, then conducted interview and finally gave me my contract. Starting on Monday. I will need to pass exam after the training, so it is early to get excited about the escape from unemployment, but I will work on it.

In my 5 years in UK i did not get any job either (except teaching assistantship which almost all PhD students get), but I had no work permit, so I cannot conclude anything on the job market in UK.

I do not believe that I will be better off in remote provinces. My NOC was economic policy analyst. The number of vacancies in this field every year hardly reaches 10 and all of them are concentrated in GTA or Ottawa. But for some NOCs a relocation may bring results.

And what is your field?

Congratulations on your new job buddy.. ! although the main focus in this post was about jobs in "field of study". For example I am a biologist and now im working as a sales rep, which is highly under employment for me. I know networking is important but I dont know how to approach people. Any Ideas ?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Ketevan said:
I got a new call centre job today. I printed my CV this morning (I deleted all degrees from it!) and went in person to the centre. The recruiter invited me to a computer test, then conducted interview and finally gave me my contract. Starting on Monday. I will need to pass exam after the training, so it is early to get excited about the escape from unemployment, but I will work on it.

In my 5 years in UK i did not get any job either (except teaching assistantship which almost all PhD students get), but I had no work permit, so I cannot conclude anything on the job market in UK.

I do not believe that I will be better off in remote provinces. My NOC was economic policy analyst. The number of vacancies in this field every year hardly reaches 10 and all of them are concentrated in GTA or Ottawa. But for some NOCs a relocation may bring results.

And what is your field?
congrats, good to see you're back to business. I hope it doesn't involve any aggressive sales targets like your previous job?

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Thanks emamabd, No, this is why I applied there as soon as I landed - I was assured by 2 of its employees that there will be no obligation to do sales. I do not have anything against sales but doing sales in customer service is almost unrealistic because 90% of calls are angry complaints and when you try to sell something on such income calls clients become even more furious and cut your sales attempt angrily.

emamabd said:
congrats, good to see you're back to business. I hope it doesn't involve any aggressive sales targets like your previous job?

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Thanks buddy, Well, we have to pray and thank whoever we believe in that we found our jobs, even though they are not in the field. There are many immigrants who struggle for months to get just any job. Having a job is very important. When we apply for passport, we need strong proof of residence. Nowadays there are many fraudsters who give their flats and credit cards to friends and do not live in Canada. Thus they use the utility bills and card statements that reflect their friends' activities to proove they have been in Canada. CIC knows this and does not trust such evidence easily. Instead, our pay slips and tax statements are strong proof of residence.
It is difficult to feel underemployed, but you can keep yourself motivated by applying every week for a post. My colleague in previous call center was a biologist too. She graduated in Sherbrooke and for 1 year she could not get a job. But last month miraculously she got an offer from a biology laboratory and quit her call centre job.
Have you tried to go to a conference in your field? You can network there. For example, I participated in the canadian economic congress here. During the dinner, many professors and researchers are quite chatty and social. I was sitting with a professor from Ontario and he gave me useful tips on job hunting. And I also emailed the secretary of University of Montreal and asked her to add me to the mail list of PhD students, so that I can receive info about seminars, conferences etc. Also, if you have not done so, find a placement agency that specializes in science and just call them. I came across such agency here in Montreal but forgot the name. After I got my job by walking in person to the company yesterday, I learned that we have to be "cheeky" here, meaning we have to be respectful but confident about ourselves.

sana123 said:
Congratulations on your new job buddy.. ! although the main focus in this post was about jobs in "field of study". For example I am a biologist and now im working as a sales rep, which is highly under employment for me. I know networking is important but I dont know how to approach people. Any Ideas ?

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
Yea this networking thing is getting on my nerves. Well, it's like the chicken & egg situation....I personally don't know anyone here in Toronto, and I do not have a job either. Now, until and unless I get a job, I won't get to meet people and unless I meet people, I can't land a job in the management field. Just need to somehow get my foot in the door somewhere...oh well...let's see.

By the way, I used to live in Leeds in England, the weather wasn't a lot better there than Scotland, however, I'd much rather have UK's gloomy weather than the climate extremities that the prairie provinces have to offer. I was studying in Thunder Bay which is in northwestern Ontario, the winter was absolutely brutal!! -35 to -40 consistently for days and days...will NEVER set foot in that place again!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
ameet747 said:
Yea this networking thing is getting on my nerves. Well, it's like the chicken & egg situation....I personally don't know anyone here in Toronto, and I do not have a job either. Now, until and unless I get a job, I won't get to meet people and unless I meet people, I can't land a job in the management field. Just need to somehow get my foot in the door somewhere...oh well...let's see.

By the way, I used to live in Leeds in England, the weather wasn't a lot better there than Scotland, however, I'd much rather have UK's gloomy weather than the climate extremities that the prairie provinces have to offer. I was studying in Thunder Bay which is in northwestern Ontario, the winter was absolutely brutal!! -35 to -40 consistently for days and days...will NEVER set foot in that place again!

The networking is a scam -- it doesn't work if there aren't enough jobs. It's important to remember that really, Canada is smaller than California. The more educated you are, outside of professional fields, the fewer of you Canada can support, and it will naturally give an advantage to people who are locally trained. If your PhD is in a field that traditionally works in a university, those positions are rare now for everyone, not just immigrants, and because it's a field that has traditionally been mobile, the recruiting pool is worldwide.

Sana -- here in Alberta there are many jobs for professional biologists, though they tend towards various forms of ecology; it's easy to become registered (google alberta professional biologists). I would encourage everyone not to think of the centre of Canada as 'remote', Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina, are among Canada's larger cities, 2nd tier after the big three. Saskatchewan is beautiful, Winnipeg is a great place to live, and I love Edmonton.

Whoever mentioned Victoria, do NOT go there!!! But if you do, I can give you the name of a grocery that is hiring.

I am completely sympathetic to everyone's plight -- once you make the jump, it's hard to move again. For me, though, coming to Edmonton from Victoria was like night and day.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Agree. No contacts - no job, no job - no contacts. People wander around this dead-end circle until the Luck lets them break into the circle.

You said you applied to call centres. Continue along this line - among all minimum wage jobs, this is the only administration job. Therefore it is marginally relevant to your field and can be put onto CV. Probably warehouse clerk is somehow relevant too, but you would need to do some heavylifting.

ameet747 said:

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ameet747 said:

"chicken & egg situation" you are absolutely correct !

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Sana -- here in Alberta there are many jobs for professional biologists, though they tend towards various forms of ecology; it's easy to become registered (google alberta professional biologists). I would encourage everyone not to think of the centre of Canada as 'remote', Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina, are among Canada's larger cities, 2nd tier after the big three. Saskatchewan is beautiful, Winnipeg is a great place to live, and I love Edmonton.

Whoever mentioned Victoria, do NOT go there!!! But if you do, I can give you the name of a grocery that is hiring.

I am completely sympathetic to everyone's plight -- once you make the jump, it's hard to move again. For me, though, coming to Edmonton from Victoria was like night and day.
yes I am aware that there are lot of job opportunities for ecologists, but sadly I dont have any experience or training in ecology. (but im applying to all sort of jobs). Im in SK now and open to jobs in MB and Alberta.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
sana123 said:
yes I am aware that there are lot of job opportunities for ecologists, but sadly I dont have any experience or training in ecology. (but im applying to all sort of jobs). Im in SK now and open to jobs in MB and Alberta.
What is your specialization, and do you have a PhD?

ameet747

Jul 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not Applicable
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
10-03-2015
IELTS Request
Not Applicable
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-08-2015
on-hold said:
The networking is a scam -- it doesn't work if there aren't enough jobs. It's important to remember that really, Canada is smaller than California. The more educated you are, outside of professional fields, the fewer of you Canada can support, and it will naturally give an advantage to people who are locally trained. If your PhD is in a field that traditionally works in a university, those positions are rare now for everyone, not just immigrants, and because it's a field that has traditionally been mobile, the recruiting pool is worldwide.

US would definitely throw up many more opportunities for immigrants than Canada, agree! But then again, I lived in the UK which has twice the population of Canada albeit packed together in a tiny island. The job situation over there was worse than what I have found here so far. Let's just say that these are bad times to be a new immigrant or even young adult for that matter. IMO immigrants who came to US, UK, Canada etc. some 20-25 years ago were the lucky ones, when there was so much potential to achieve from so little. Most of them now super rich (especially from Indian subcontinent), own big businesses, houses, cars etc. Bad times!

By the way, I was the one who mentioned Victoria, not because of anything else but the weather! Like I said, I lived in Thunder Bay last winter and I got a taste of what prairie provinces must be like. Don't think I can mentally survive in those conditions. But then again, my feeling could completely change if I have friends/family, a nice job, a decent car etc., who knows. I'd definitely love to move to Vancouver some day though. Toronto is great as well! Well may be not as awesome as NYC but then again, you don't get everything in life that you wish for!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
ameet747 said:
US would definitely throw up many more opportunities for immigrants than Canada, agree! But then again, I lived in the UK which has twice the population of Canada albeit packed together in a tiny island. The job situation over there was worse than what I have found here so far. Let's just say that these are bad times to be a new immigrant or even young adult for that matter. IMO immigrants who came to US, UK, Canada etc. some 20-25 years ago were the lucky ones, when there was so much potential to achieve from so little. Most of them now super rich (especially from Indian subcontinent), own big businesses, houses, cars etc. Bad times!

By the way, I was the one who mentioned Victoria, not because of anything else but the weather! Like I said, I lived in Thunder Bay last winter and I got a taste of what prairie provinces must be like. Don't think I can mentally survive in those conditions. But then again, my feeling could completely change if I have friends/family, a nice job, a decent car etc., who knows. I'd definitely love to move to Vancouver some day though. Toronto is great as well! Well may be not as awesome as NYC but then again, you don't get everything in life that you wish for!
I agree with everything you say -- and I wasn't trashing Canada, just pointing out that academic jobs are tough everywhere. Basically, it's the times. I shouldn't be so negative about Victoria either, it's a lovely place, just try to arrange something before you go there. The thing that bugged me most of all is how I would see local coop jobs go unfilled and be advertised time after time, when I was in a grad program that wasn't eligible for them.

If Thunder Bay bugs you, and well it might, try looking at the Okanagan area also, the B.C. towns that are north of Spokane, Washington. That's a nice place, if it has work for you.

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Found this elsewhere

The truth behind the Canadian job market

The reason people are on here are either because they are looking for a job, wanting to move to Canada or have jobs to offer. Reading though what people say in their discussions it’s become very clear that a lot of people are confused about the job market in Canada, there are many offering false hope, and finally many see Canada as a great place to live/move to. Let me provide some honest truth and hopefully others will offer their own insights so we all learn. Canada has weathered the latest financial collapse better than most nations that can be seen as a fact. The Canadian job market at the moment seems to be center around three major areas, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. One thing everyone has to realise is the job market is tough no matter your skill level. If you’re applying to a job in Canada and are not in a field that’s desperate for people such as a medical field expect the employer to expect you can speak clear English. Yes you may have grown up in a country that has English as a second language, but if your accent is so thick that no one understands you that will hurt your chances at getting hired.

Employers will prefer someone with an education from a Western nation over one from one that is not. If you want to get an education in Canada then research the school do not depend on others on boards like this primarily. Many of the people giving you advice to go to one school over another might just have vested interest. Do not kid yourself moving to Canada will be tough, you will face many challenges. Some basic advice to anyone job hunting in the market today. Do not assume your skills and experience are as valuable as you think. The market is full of over qualified people in almost every field. I once had an interview for a manager position were the people I was competing against had director level experience. Think on this situation, why would someone with director level experience apply to a job that paid ½ to 1/3 their previous salary? Those starting in the job market I feel the most sympathy for. Kids are told throughout their lives that they need to get an education so they can get a good job. They graduate post secondary with an inflated ego and sense of worth feeling they deserve the corner office, six figure salary etc… In reality unless you have some serious connections, have graduated from a very specialised program, or are seriously lucky you will have problems finding a job. The old catch twenty two situation will apply.

You will be told you need more experience to get the job, but how do you get the experience without getting a job. The same applies to new immigrants being told they need more “Canadian” experience. They key to success and yes I have learned this the hard way is to do your home work, check your ego at the door, and be prepared to do what it takes to survive till you can build up a career. If this means you do a job you feel is beneath you you do it. If Have done jobs myself that were horrible on my ego as an educated person simply because I needed the money to live till I found better. Expect to bust your butt for years to make a degree of success. Do not expect you will get the brass ring now or ever.

My own family moved to Canada in the 70s and my parents sacrificed more then I will ever probably know. Today both my brother and I have good jobs and are educated. When each of us has our own kids they will climb up the ladder high then us and so on. The nature of moving to Canada that few say outright is that’s its more for the future then for yourself. Canada is a stable country both socially, politically and economically. Canada is a great place to live and work. Yes my discussion can be seen and very doom and gloom, but better to know the truth and live a lie. There is a lot more that can be said but let’s see what others have to say. Let’s see what other truths others have to ad.