+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

22 year old - dependent child?

Trixie

Aug 23, 2013
Hi everyone,

My father is planning to apply for the Quebec Entrepreneur Immigration program. My mother will be accompanying him. We live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and I am of Indian/Chinese descent. I hold an Indian passport.

My question: I am 22 years old (turning 23 soon). I am not a full time student at the moment. I understand from the criteria listed online that I do not qualify as a dependent child. However, my father and I plan on being business partners. This isn't just so I can go with him to Canada. We actually want to run a business together. Would this be possible to do? If yes, how do we go about filling the forms as partners? Or does he have to go set up the business and then sponsor me later to join him in running the business?

Also, on this program, how do soon does one get PR status? The website says it is immediate but other online sources say it takes a year.

Thanks in advance :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll have to qualify for PR separately from your father. Unfortunately you can't be included in his application - even if you are partners.

Trixie

Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for replying :)

That's rather unfortunate. Would it work out if my father went there, set up the business, and then sent me an offer of employment and I apply as a jobseeker/worker? If not, what other ways can I apply?

Any idea on how long it would take to get a PR when applying as an entrepreneur?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know the processing times for the program. I would assume several years.

There is no guarantee your farther will be able to call you later as a worker/employer. Typically, to be allowed to do this, your father would have to prove that there was no Canadian he could hire for the role (this can be quite difficult to prove) - and for you to be approved for the work permit, you'll have to prove you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term (I think it will be very difficult for you to prove this if your parents are PRs of Canada).

If you also want to come to Canada, I think it will be more realistic if you qualify to immigrate completely independently (e.g. through the Quebec skilled worker program).

Hopefully your entire family speaks French fluently. I think your father will struggle to set up a business in Quebec without being fluent in French.

Trixie

Aug 23, 2013
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the info! :)

Hmm, that does pose some problems. My father doesn't speak French but I do. That was one reason we wanted to be involved in running the business together. I have considered applying for the QSW program but honestly, I'm just not sure about job prospects in Canada. Friends and relatives who have gone to Canada as students are in a bit of a rut looking for permanent jobs which makes me wonder about my chances. Moreover, I am in the business field, with work experience in banks and recruitment. Not exactly 'unique' and 'in demand.' I suppose it's worth a shot.