+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

21 Months Processing Time?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
According to the CIC website, the average processing time for a routine citizenship application is now 21 months. The processing time only gets longer and longer. According to some I have talked to, it used to take 6 months. Why is a nearly two year delay considered acceptable? What is the reason for this? Public service cut backs? Surely, the can do something to speed this process up?

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
I think it is because of this, please check link below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-09-10.asp

Thanks
IBM.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, I saw that--but still no reason why this has to take nearly two years. Hire more staff to process these applications. This current government seems to have no commitment to providing quality public service in a timely fashion.

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
i won't be surprised if next year cic tell us it will take 24 months to process citizenship. the cic is currently delaying or cutting almost all categories of immigration and citizenship applications.

Z

zaza39

They are busy running after those who have illegal citizenship card. It was in the Newspaper this week.They need to crack down those "Illegal Agents/Representatives too.They are the key ones blackmailing desperatate people fall in their traps. So we who are straight with immigration we have to take all those stress. I have lost hope for this year !!! Better forget about it for now.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ZYXWVU98 said:
i won't be surprised if next year cic tell us it will take 24 months to process citizenship. the cic is currently delaying or cutting almost all categories of immigration and citizenship applications.
It really is puzzling. They are spending resources chasing after supposed fraud cases, while their are queues and queues of legitimate citizenship applicants who now have to wait almost two years for a "routine" application? This should be unacceptable. There are some jobs you can't get without Canadian citizenship; you can't vote, etc. These are people who have already been admitted to Canada, are living in Canada, yet can't enjoy the benefits and responsibilities of citizenship because the current government doesn't think its a priority to get these applications processed in a timely fashion. CIC needs to set a target of 12 months or less for a routine application. 21 months is almost punitive. It shouldn't take longer to process a citizenship application than it did for the PR application. :'(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I applied for citizenship in January 2006, the official processing time was 13 months. Mine actually took 2.5 years though but when I went to the citizenship ceremony and asked other people how long theirs took, they all said about a year. I do not know when the processing time was 6 months. Must have been before that.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Leon said:
When I applied for citizenship in January 2006, the official processing time was 13 months. Mine actually took 2.5 years though but when I went to the citizenship ceremony and asked other people how long theirs took, they all said about a year. I do not know when the processing time was 6 months. Must have been before that.
13 months is reasonable. 2.5 years isn't and neither is 21 months.

For all its talk about integrating immigrants, you'd think this government would make this more of a priority.

desibabu

Star Member
Jul 15, 2012
21 months too longs, i hope they get faster in processing.
simple math is if there is more immigrants then obviously more applicants for the citizenship right.
when there is more applicants dont you need more staff , instead government is laying of staff?

only thing they need to employ more people and hire interns if you wont have money get volunteers.
train staff so that they can figure who is having valid credentials.
most of the times they suspect valid applicants and delay the processing.weather its immigration , visa or citizenship.
I dont understand why real guys have to be victims ?
its like keeping Japanese immigrants in camps during the second world war and they apologized about it after may 70 years.
oops sorry we should not have done like that.

I wont be surprised if there is news, sorry, we stopped citizenship processing (they wont tell till when), to eradicate illegals getting citizenship, citizenship not for sale.
Ok. what about legal immigrant residents.
same like we stopped processing parents immigration, you are indirectly dis integrating families.
I am sure they will apologize about it after 100 years, we wont be hear. may be childrens children.

They are more concerned about the English language, they think if we dont know English or French. we need jobs to bring food on table.
and no discrimination.
its like may be 100 or 200 years back government used to force native children to study English, and they apologized after 100 years.
i like the concept, do what ever and apologize after 100 or 200 years. (sorry)

I am waiting for new government to come and improve the immigration system.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
are they planning to increase residency requirements from 3 years to 5 years????

that would be a disaster.....

any idea?????

this guy jason kenney has started giving me sleepless nights.......

its like watching horror movie every day :-(

desibabu

Star Member
Jul 15, 2012
sorry, i was just saying if they want they can not do.
dont worry, citizenship process will improve.
we are all in same boat, i know its frustrating.

sorry for confusion.

leprechaun

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv, Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2005
Med's Request
15-10-2007
Med's Done....
12-11-2007
Passport Req..
30-01-2008
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2008
LANDED..........
01-03-2008
I submitted my application in November 2010 and became a citizen in October 2011. That means 11 months from the application to the ceremony. According to CIC Web site at that moment the processing time alone in Toronto would take 18 months. Go figure.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leprechaun said:
I submitted my application in November 2010 and became a citizen in October 2011. That means 11 months from the application to the ceremony. According to CIC Web site at that moment the processing time alone in Toronto would take 18 months. Go figure.
if your case was 7 months faster than normal, somebody elses case will be 7 months slower. That's how they end up with an average.

muppala

Oct 13, 2009
21 months, if application is routine, if there is any RQ on the application, forget about the timeline, one of the guy I know, got the citizenship after 4 and half years, after applying.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
Guys need info,

when i left canada in september 2010, no one stamped my passport in canada airport

when i landed in my home country also they did not stamp in my passport in the airport

i stayed in my home country for 4 months

when i took the flight back to canada, my home country stamped in my passport

when i entered canada, they swiped my PR card.

does this mean !!!! Canada dont have records that i left the country for 4 months???
they only have my entry record ???