+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2023 PR Applications Timeline (Protected Persons & Refugees)

Nelly1

Oct 16, 2023
Please I wish to migrate to Canada through Asylum. I'm currently in Nigeria. Please I need an advice on how to go about the asylum migration and is it a good thing to apply for asylum due to the situation in Nigeria currently?

Nelly1

Oct 16, 2023
Hello, please I need an advice on how to migrate to Canada from Nigeria as an Asylum seeker. A friend told me to apply for a visiting visa first and once I get to canada, I can apply for an asylum.

My questions are:
1. If I travel to Canada through visiting and later seek for an asylum in Canada, will my request be granted without questioning why I applied for a visiting visa. Or is there any other means to seek for an asylum in Canada?

2. Is it a good thing to seek for an asylum as a Nigerian due to the situation of the country?

mappleowlqc

Dec 6, 2023
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CTD Missisuaga - Montreal Immigration
App. Filed.......
17-12-2022
Please I wish to migrate to Canada through Asylum. I'm currently in Nigeria. Please I need an advice on how to go about the asylum migration and is it a good thing to apply for asylum due to the situation in Nigeria currently?
Wrong threat. This is for those who have already been approved for asylum.

There's no asylum immigration to Canada. You can either be a recognized refugee. Recognized by the UNHR or an IRCC - Canada's immigration department - parter organization. Those people are selected by Canada through different resettlement programs.

If you have not been recognized as a refugee, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa or a visitor visa. That is, come to Canada temporarily as a tourist, worker, or student. After you have landed in Canada you can submit an application for protection - a refugee claim. Your claim will be then processed by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to see if you have a credible fear of persecution or threat to your life. You will go through several interviews and cross-examined on how consistent your story is and if it makes sense. You will need a lawyer if you want to create a strong case, which costs money. Sometimes, depending on your status in Canada, you may be granted Legal Aid - that is a province you live in paying for your lawyer.

If you pass all the interviews successfully, you will be granted a protected person status - aka a right to remain in Canada and apply for Permanent Residence. If you fail, you may have a chance to appeal and have your case heard again or apply under a special program on Humanitarian and Compassionate considerations.

However, if you fail you will be barred from Canada, Australia, United States, UK, NZ, and well as all other European countries.
Please note, that you cannot claim asylum outside Canada unless you have been recognized as a refugee and selected to be resettled in Canada. When it comes to applying for a visa to Canada no humanitarian pathway exits. You can only arrive as a worker, tourist, student, a recognized refugee. Some people arrive to Canada as Permanent Resident if you have already have enough points calculated based off your age, work experience, education, and family status. I assume that does not apply to you though, since you're asking about refugee claims.

Note, that the moment you have submitted your application for protection from inside Canada after your arrived as a temporary resident (student, tourist, worker) you cannot apply for any other program. It's a one-way ticket.

Reactions: jinglebell0123

mappleowlqc

Dec 6, 2023
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CTD Missisuaga - Montreal Immigration
App. Filed.......
17-12-2022
Hello, please I need an advice on how to migrate to Canada from Nigeria as an Asylum seeker. A friend told me to apply for a visiting visa first and once I get to canada, I can apply for an asylum.

My questions are:
1. If I travel to Canada through visiting and later seek for an asylum in Canada, will my request be granted without questioning why I applied for a visiting visa. Or is there any other means to seek for an asylum in Canada?

2. Is it a good thing to seek for an asylum as a Nigerian due to the situation of the country?
1. You can do that, yes. But you will be questioned on why you lied on your tourist visa. CBSA will issue a removal order and put it aside untill your application for asylum has been processed. Here you'd need to prove that you have a credible fear of persecution. If you fail, the removal order comes into force and would have to leave Canada and being barred from Canada.
2. No one can say that. It depends on what is a threat to your life. This political refugees, ethnic minorities, sometimes LGBT+.However, things like high crime, corruption and economic conditions are not enough. The basic idea is you can only seek asylum - protection - in Canada if your own country is not willing or unable to provide you such protection. But no one can give you any guarantees. Refugee claims are decided on the case-by-case basis and is assumed to be a last resort option.

Again, wrong thread. This is for those have gone through the processed and been accepted.

Habiba jannat

Sep 18, 2023
Now I’m confused!!
Is this AOR??
Because the other person is saying something else. Please clarity….
Will I receive another AOR with permanent numbers??
And does this first letter means everything on my file is correct and they can start process??
You are right , another email will come soon where there is no X .

spadda

Dec 8, 2023
My husband applied PR in December 2022, then we got married in January 2023.
he got his AOR in April 2023 and updated my information using web form.
applied for me in September Last, we are waiting to link my file.
Is there any way to speed up the process.? My Post graduate work permit is expiring in January 2024
what are the alterative steps we can take to stay and works in country ?

Captain911

Jan 31, 2023
Is there any way to speed up the process.? My Post graduate work permit is expiring in January 2024
There is no speed up option :)) Pr process takes up to 24 months and sometimes more than 24 months.
But i recommend you to apply work permit before current one is expired.

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Hi,
I have received a PCC and biometrics requests. But I haven't received my AOR.
My question is how I can submit the PCC through GCKey as I linked my application but I don't know how to upload the PCC. Can someone guide me where exactly I can upload any document in the GCKey portal?
Thanks in advance.
Can you please share for pr timeline

altdiem

Jul 26, 2023
Is your husband a protected person? You can apply for extension or try to apply for OWP as family of a protected person.

Cmu

Mar 2, 2021
you can send them via a web form and they will acknowledge it or you can mail them too or you can do both as when they send anything so they provide you method as well so do it accordingly.
Is PCC required to be attested by the embassy of the related contry ?

spadda

Dec 8, 2023

spadda

Dec 8, 2023
Is your husband a protected person? You can apply for extension or try to apply for OWP as family of a protected person.
Yes he is protected person but I don’t know if I can apply work permit as my PR application is not active yet .?

Cmu

Mar 2, 2021
Hi Guys : Would appreciate your guidance on the following scenario:
Applied on Oct, 07 2023
Called today to customer services of IRCC and she said that the system shows the application was received internally whereas in my PR portal the status is still " Submitted"
Does it mean my application is complete on the compliance side ?
why did I not receive the AOR if it is received by the department internally ?
when would i receive AOR then ?