+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2023 October Common-Law / Spousal Sponsorship (Inland)

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
For a visitor extension, the current processing time is 85 days vs a Open work permit is like 135 days. So a much longer time that you have implied status when applying for OWP. Also OWP, I have never heard of a rejection for SOWP with AORs. And of course the biggest advantage is that your partner can work once approved and help with finances. The cost is more for a OWP but has more benefits if you ask me
We applied for a visitor extension for 100$ before one month of the visa expired (it is our 2nd visitor extension) we got it approved within a month and we got a year. We mentioned that we are planning to apply for sponsorship so in your case since you are already applied you will get it too.

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
i would do both, visitor record first then OWP
Visitor record is safer than OWP, because if for a reason your OWP got rejected then you are out of status and you have to apply for status restoration within 90 days. but if you got your visitor record hopefully for a year then you can either apply for OWP (if you would like to work) or just keep the visitor record.

Gewornu

Nov 1, 2023
The OWP application has a form for visitor extention. So apply for OWP and fill out the form for the visa extention that comes with the Open work permit application.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
The OWP application has a form for visitor extention. So apply for OWP and fill out the form for the visa extention that comes with the Open work permit application.
it does? Which form was that? Because I applied for OWP and dont recall seeing anything about Visa record.

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Respectfully, this is incorrect. Applying for PR and having AOR does not give you maintained status. There is only two ways to maintain status, one is through OWP (or waiting for approval) or Visa Record (waiting for approval). Not having neither and relying in AOR, you will be out of status.
You are wrong 100%. The person being sponsored has an obligation not to leave Canada until the application is completed. Kindly read the policy again.

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
It is for temporary resident. It means applying for PR doesn't give you implied status. In fact, you have to maintain your temporary status while waiting for inland PR application.
You guys making me laugh a lot. I sponsored my wife who was months out of status, visitor visa expired and same with my kids. I sponsored them here in Quebec and they got their PR. Never be so sure of a life you have not lived. You really cracked me up this morning.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
You are wrong 100%. The person being sponsored has an obligation not to leave Canada until the application is completed. Kindly read the policy again.
PA can leave anytime they want. No one is confined to Canada lol. The risk is leaving Canada and re entering, for whatever reason the CBSA agent doesnt allow you to enter Canada, at that point, your Inland Application is considered abandoned.

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
PA can leave anytime they want. No one is confined to Canada lol. The risk is leaving Canada and re entering, for whatever reason the CBSA agent doesnt allow you to enter Canada, at that point, your Inland Application is considered abandoned.
I am surprised you still wanna argue this. I have been there, I sponsored my family when they were even out of status.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
I am surprised you still wanna argue this. I have been there, I sponsored my family when they were even out of status.
Not arguing the Status topic. I believe you are right, but not sure why someone wouldnt spend the $100 for a Visitor record or the $250 for a OWP. Just to be on the safe side and a peace of mind. But after the 6 months on a TRV, you are technically out of status unless you apply for either

Eurydiceee

Oct 20, 2023
Hi friends,

Spouse Inland in Ontario
Submitted October 11th, 2023
Waiting for AOR

Now is the waiting game
Update:
Sorry I forgot to update this lol
I got my AOR on Nov 10

already submitted my medical exam and biometrics, and now I have to wait more I guess.

After we submit everything, how long do you guys think until I get final approval?

Last edited:

OrangeBlossom

Nov 19, 2023
We applied for a visitor extension for 100$ before one month of the visa expired (it is our 2nd visitor extension) we got it approved within a month and we got a year. We mentioned that we are planning to apply for sponsorship so in your case since you are already applied you will get it too.
Excellent this is all I needed to know. Thank you.

AmalJ

Dec 8, 2023
Hi Everyone!! I've got a question..

The dependants section in Imm0008, my husband and I have our 3 year old who is a Canadian Citizen. Do any of you folks know if she should go in this section or is she supposed to go under the Additional family members form? Applying this week! Just making sure everything is squeaky clean!