+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2023 October Common-Law / Spousal Sponsorship (Inland)

Grey grey

Sep 22, 2023
Apply for OWP
Thanks. If I apply for OWP, do I need to apply at least one month before my visitor record expires? I'm asking because I'm waiting for the PR medical request before applying for OWP, but I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Thanks. If I apply for OWP, do I need to apply at least one month before my visitor record expires? I'm asking because I'm waiting for the PR medical request before applying for OWP, but I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.
You can apply for OWP at any time. As long as you have AOR, you can apply. I already applied myself. Im waiting on medicals as well.

Reactions: Grey grey

manda2023

Aug 22, 2023
If you received the AOR, that means your PR application is being processed, which means that you have maintained status (it was formerly known as implied status). Essentially, since your PR is being processed, even if your temporary visa expires, you have kept your legal status in Canada until they reach a decision regarding your appliation so you dont need to apply for an extension of your visa.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
If you received the AOR, that means your PR application is being processed, which means that you have maintained status (it was formerly known as implied status). Essentially, since your PR is being processed, even if your temporary visa expires, you have kept your legal status in Canada until they reach a decision regarding your appliation so you dont need to apply for an extension of your visa.
Respectfully, this is incorrect. Applying for PR and having AOR does not give you maintained status. There is only two ways to maintain status, one is through OWP (or waiting for approval) or Visa Record (waiting for approval). Not having neither and relying in AOR, you will be out of status.

Reactions: YVR123

manda2023

Aug 22, 2023
Respectfully, this is incorrect. Applying for PR and having AOR does not give you maintained status. There is only two ways to maintain status, one is through OWP (or waiting for approval) or Visa Record (waiting for approval). Not having neither and relying in AOR, you will be out of status.
Thank you for the information @Master5678. Here's the link I based my comment on https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html.

In this case @Grey grey, please disregard my previous comment.

Reactions: Master5678

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
It is for temporary resident. It means applying for PR doesn't give you implied status. In fact, you have to maintain your temporary status while waiting for inland PR application.

manda2023

Aug 22, 2023
It is for temporary resident. It means applying for PR doesn't give you implied status. In fact, you have to maintain your temporary status while waiting for inland PR application.
Yes, it was actually very good I posted it here because this whole time I thought it gave you maintained status (which made more sense tbh). Gladly, I have applied for OWP so I have it. Ty

Reactions: Master5678

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
My wife has a tourist visa and we are currently living together.

She did her biometrics and photos done when she applied for the tourist visa overseas at a visa office. I can see her biometric details on the gc key.

We just received another biometric request though

Is this a normal process or they made a mistake?

Thanks

Last edited:

beautifullyk

Apr 14, 2023
My wife has a tourist visa and we are currently living together.

She did her biometrics and photos done when she applied for the tourist visa overseas at a visa office. I can see her biometric details on the gc key.

We just received another biometric request though

Is this a normal process or they made a mistake?

Thanks
This is normal :) Same situation as you and my husband received the biometrics instruction letter as well. According to the government website for permanent residence applications you have to submit biometrics even if you have done so previously.

OrangeBlossom

Nov 19, 2023
Apply for OWP
hey, I'm also in the same boat as GreyGrey. Any particular reason why you suggest OWP over another visitor record? I've applied for two visitor records so far and my current one expires in Jan. I'm also looking for a less expensive way to retain status while my PR comes through so I was inclined towards another visitor record.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
hey, I'm also in the same boat as GreyGrey. Any particular reason why you suggest OWP over another visitor record? I've applied for two visitor records so far and my current one expires in Jan. I'm also looking for a less expensive way to retain status while my PR comes through so I was inclined towards another visitor record.
For a visitor extension, the current processing time is 85 days vs a Open work permit is like 135 days. So a much longer time that you have implied status when applying for OWP. Also OWP, I have never heard of a rejection for SOWP with AORs. And of course the biggest advantage is that your partner can work once approved and help with finances. The cost is more for a OWP but has more benefits if you ask me

M32

Dec 6, 2023
Timeline update: Received BIL on Dec 7.
Seeking advice: my visitor record is hitting the 6 month threshold at the end of Jan 2024. Should I apply for OWP or visitor record extension or both?
i would do both, visitor record first then OWP

Gewornu

Nov 1, 2023
Could someone please let me know what should I answer for the question asking "have you previously been married or in a common law relationship?"

My spouse and I are cohabiting together since Jan 2022 and I applied for my PR in Oct 2022 (Declared as single in my PR application since we didn't satisfy common law partner criteria as 12 months weren't completed cohabiting), we got married recently in October 2023 and now applying for Inland sponsorship as a spouse. Do I answer as 'Yes' to the question asking for previous common law relationship and mention my spouse' name as a common law partner from the date we attained common law partner status(Jan 2023) to the date we got married(Oct 2023)? As we were satisfying the common law partner criteria with the same person before getting married.
Once you are married you are married so state that you are married. And explain that you have been cohabitating for the past -- years before getting married. And support it with pictures, rent/house bills and address etc.