+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021 Parents sponsorship questions

Alokuk692

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Hi All

I have a question about the parent's sponsorship for 2021. As per the notes released by URCC income for 2021 sponsorship will be for 2020,2019 and 2018. I have 3 questions regarding this and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.
a. I got married this year - 2021 May and my wife is in India at present. I would be sponsoring her as well.
Before that my family included my dad and mum. My sister still lives in the same house in India but is not dependent on us.
Hence, our family size was 3 - Me, my mum, and my dad.
Now, since I am married this year does my family size increase to 4 from this year onwards, or do will it remain as 3 for 2018,2019, and 2020 as I wasn't married then?
For kids born during these years, the family size depends on number of people actually in the family during that year. Not sure if the same rule applies to marriage.
b. Since my wife was in India before marriage, can we use her Indian income to sponsor my parents? OR should the income only be in Canada?
c. At present, in 2021 my income has dropped a little and I may not have enough income for 4 people. Do you think this might be a problem? As in the application form we need to mention the income?
d. Lastly, my income is salary + commission. So while mentioning the income I can tell them my regular salary but do you recommend also adding my estimated commission ?

Many thanks in advance for helping me with these questions.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hi All

I have a question about the parent's sponsorship for 2021. As per the notes released by URCC income for 2021 sponsorship will be for 2020,2019 and 2018. I have 3 questions regarding this and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.
a. I got married this year - 2021 May and my wife is in India at present. I would be sponsoring her as well.
Before that my family included my dad and mum. My sister still lives in the same house in India but is not dependent on us.
Hence, our family size was 3 - Me, my mum, and my dad.
Now, since I am married this year does my family size increase to 4 from this year onwards, or do will it remain as 3 for 2018,2019, and 2020 as I wasn't married then?
For kids born during these years, the family size depends on number of people actually in the family during that year. Not sure if the same rule applies to marriage.
b. Since my wife was in India before marriage, can we use her Indian income to sponsor my parents? OR should the income only be in Canada?
c. At present, in 2021 my income has dropped a little and I may not have enough income for 4 people. Do you think this might be a problem? As in the application form we need to mention the income?
d. Lastly, my income is salary + commission. So while mentioning the income I can tell them my regular salary but do you recommend also adding my estimated commission ?

Many thanks in advance for helping me with these questions.
First of all, did you submit the Interest to Sponsor form last year, sometimes Oct-Nov 2020? If you submitted and did not get any invitation, then you will be entered automatically for this year draw. If you did not, you would need to wait for the next time

To answer your question:
a/ This year, the income assessment requirement will be based on 2020, 2019, 2018 hence, your number of family members would be 3 for all 3 years.
b/ Only income earned and paid tax in Canada would count. It's based on your Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (total income, line 150 if I remember correctly)
c/ If your income does not meet the requirement, even 1 dollar short, you will be rejected. This process is automated hence no people involved
d/ Look at answer b/

If I miss anything, other senior members may help

Reactions: Alokuk692

Alokuk692

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
First of all, did you submit the Interest to Sponsor form last year, sometimes Oct-Nov 2020? If you submitted and did not get any invitation, then you will be entered automatically for this year draw. If you did not, you would need to wait for the next time

To answer your question:
a/ This year, the income assessment requirement will be based on 2020, 2019, 2018 hence, your number of family members would be 3 for all 3 years.
b/ Only income earned and paid tax in Canada would count. It's based on your Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (total income, line 150 if I remember correctly)
c/ If your income does not meet the requirement, even 1 dollar short, you will be rejected. This process is automated hence no people involved
d/ Look at answer b/

If I miss anything, other senior members may help
Thank you soo much babybenz for being so awesome.

Just another follow up question if you don't mind
Do i need the maintain the same level of income even in 2021 even though I meet the income criteria for the last 3 years ?
And if yes then for 2021 should I have come level for 3 people or 4 people ?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018

Do i need the maintain the same level of income even in 2021 even though I meet the income criteria for the last 3 years ?
Each year, IRCC will annouce the 3-year income requirement. Your income must meet this requirement in order to be qualified. So, for this year, IRCC require 2020-2019-2019 but next year, they may require income for 2021-2020-2019. Of course these are just my assumption.
The number of family members is also accessed according to when it happens. In your case, any year before 2021, your total number of family member is 3 (you+dad+mom). If you get married in 2021, then your family members would then be total of you + wife + dad + mom = 4 people for 2021 onward. And if you have a baby in 2022, then your total number of family member in 2022 would be 5.
Hope this helps

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Short answer. You have to maintain income to support your family size of that year. IRCC can request income update any point during the application. (e.g. if your application is still on-going in 2023, they can ask for your 2022 NOA for assessment. )

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Short answer. You have to maintain income to support your family size of that year. IRCC can request income update any point during the application. (e.g. if your application is still on-going in 2023, they can ask for your 2022 NOA for assessment. )
Just to add on that, some 2019 applicants did report being asked for support regarding their 2020 income to make sure they continued to meet the requirements for 2020 (family size change would then apply to your 2021 requirements as well so hopefully your income went back up). There is a chance they never ask for it though but that is indeed a requirement of the program and therefore could be an issue if you don't make sure to have enough income for 2021 for 4 people (you still have some time to try and bring your income up a bit). Note that you would need to meet the requirement for 2021 for 4 persons, not the 2020 requirements so expect a bit higher to a lot higher as 2020 was significantly reduced due to Covid, I would expect 2021 to be somewhere in between 2019 and 2020 requirements (between 50 and 60k most likely).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just to add on that, some 2019 applicants did report being asked for support regarding their 2020 income to make sure they continued to meet the requirements for 2020 (family size change would then apply to your 2021 requirements as well so hopefully your income went back up). There is a chance they never ask for it though but that is indeed a requirement of the program and therefore could be an issue if you don't make sure to have enough income for 2021 for 4 people (you still have some time to try and bring your income up a bit). Note that you would need to meet the requirement for 2021 for 4 persons, not the 2020 requirements so expect a bit higher to a lot higher as 2020 was significantly reduced due to Covid, I would expect 2021 to be somewhere in between 2019 and 2020 requirements (between 50 and 60k most likely).
Yes. they CAN ask for it. But they do not ask for update for every single application.
It's for the sponsor to make sure (or at least try) to maintain their income
1) to fullfill their sponsorship requirement.
2) to actually make enough to support their parents while they live in Canada (or will be living in Canada)

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

My parents were granted PR in 2017. However, my dad was only able to stay in Canada for 3 mos then went home. My mom's cumulative number of days of stay is 1 year and 6 mos. Both are back home now. They were supposed to come back last year but covid hit. We're now planning to have them fly back to Canada sometime this year or early 2022 but our concern is their PR cards are only valid til August 2022.

If they try coming back, would there be an issue or will they be allowed entry? I was told by IRCC agent that it depends on the CBSA if they'll be allowed since they still have a valid PR card. Has anyone experienced this situation before and how did it go? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!