+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 Fall Graduate Certificate Programs

proceso

May 1, 2020
Hey guys,

Those who has planed to do $subject, what are your thoughts about the current situation ?

I know most of the courses are 2-semester programs, are you guys willing to take the risk of not being able to apply for PGWP ?

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
I am thinking of deferring to January. It doesn't make sense for us to take such a risk. Imagine if they do not open the borders at all then we have paid an ridiculously expensive Online course.

proceso

May 1, 2020
Can we differ the last semester to a later semester (until the travel restrictions are lifted) after completing the first semester online ?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yeagh I sent an email. waiting for their reply
If your ultimate goal is a PGWP then this won't work as you need to study continuously, i.e. without unauthorized gaps of longer than 150 days. A gap can only be authorized for medical or other similarly compelling reasons.

Reactions: mithun5991

proceso

May 1, 2020
If your ultimate goal is a PGWP then this won't work as you need to study continuously, i.e. without unauthorized gaps of longer than 150 days. A gap can only be authorized for medical or other similarly compelling reasons.
Yeagh PGWP is my goal. Seems like there's no way out of this then :'(

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Yeagh PGWP is my goal. Seems like there's no way out of this then :'(
What's worse is that our SOPs have clearly stated that after education will be returning to our country so incase we decide to even study our program n it ends up being online then we all in deep water

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019

Won't the current circumstances qualify for a temporary change, since so many peoples' entire lives and plans have been toppled completely?

In fact, for people already inside Canada, the latest rules allow even a complete break in studies for the semester - even then, PGWP will not get affected, if the student just gets a letter from the institution explaining that the break was due to Covid-realated reasons.

On the other hand, there are those of us with full and final approval since late 2019 for a master's program starting this fall. We still have to meet the 50% limit of studying within Canada, plus no breaks in studies, when we don't even know when we will be allowed to travel. Because that depends on when IRCC allows us to travel, which in turn depends on the global Covid scenario.

I have an approval before March 18, but it still seems I cannot travel since I have online classes for the fall (which is deemed non-essential by CBSA).

If Canada continues to take the same stance of online being non-essential, then I may not be able to reach the country even for the start of the January term. Assuming the January term is also online.

How will I meet the 50% PGWP eligibility then? I run the risk of doing more than 50% of the program at home, only due to Covid and due to IRCC regulations on travel.

That isn't my mistake but I'll still be penalized if IRCC doesn't make temporary changes to PGWP eligibility, just like they have done for international students within the country now.

Reactions: Zeef and mithun5991

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
If they could change to the 50% rule then they can definitely modify it again.. I'm damn sure canada cares for us n they want us international students there.. the only risk is if we end up completing the entire course in our home country we will have our permit expired n which will make it impossible to travel to Canada... by January we all sept/may intake students have to be there whether we study online or in campus but we should be on the Canadian soil

Reactions: GradStudent18

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If they could change to the 50% rule then they can definitely modify it again.. I'm damn sure canada cares for us n they want us international students there.. the only risk is if we end up completing the entire course in our home country we will have our permit expired n which will make it impossible to travel to Canada... by January we all sept/may intake students have to be there whether we study online or in campus but we should be on the Canadian soil
Canada cares first and foremost for international students' money, and with so many Canadians unemployed right now they have no reason to give open work permits to people who have never set foot in the country. Everyone is free to hope they continue to make exceptions to accommodate the situation, but don't count on anything.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Canada cares first and foremost for international students' money, and with so many Canadians unemployed right now they have no reason to give open work permits to people who have never set foot in the country. Everyone is free to hope they continue to make exceptions to accommodate the situation, but don't count on anything.

You're right.

But they've said that there will be no impact on PGWP eligibility for students already inside the country even if they're taking a break in studies due to Covid-related reasons.

If they can do that for people already inside the country, why be so unfair towards those who have the final approval but are unable to travel due to IRCC's restrictions (online classes being non-essential) ?

Just because we are unable to travel now, the airline 50% rule applies to us. Sadly we don't even know when they'll allow us to travel.

But people who went there just a few months before us, can even take a break in studies and are allowed to have any kind of changes in the program registration - just because they went there before Covid happened.

Reactions: proceso

Wbr90

Star Member
Aug 19, 2019
Category........
FSW
Hey guys,

I am not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but from what I learned on IRCC, the PGWP has one criteria that requires more than 50% of the education to be done inside Canada for PGWP. I also read on official website, that online study is being considered in this regards and would be considered for PGWP even if you do the course online (just because of restrictions due to covid).

Can someone enlighten this for me, if this is correct or im getting this wrong?

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
Hey guys,

I am not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but from what I learned on IRCC, the PGWP has one criteria that requires more than 50% of the education to be done inside Canada for PGWP. I also read on official website, that online study is being considered in this regards and would be considered for PGWP even if you do the course online (just because of restrictions due to covid).

Can someone enlighten this for me, if this is correct or im getting this wrong?
How I understand it the rule is that you have to be in Canada for 50% of your study length to be considered for a PGWP. If you are doing a two semester program fall 2020 and winter 2020, and they later decide that the winter term is also going to be delivered online and students are not allowed to be physically in Canada you can not get a PGWP.