+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi, regarding applying for your OWP online question, you should be able to apply online (with your cic account already). Just be sure to pay both the $100.00 open permit holder fee and the $155.00 work permit fee together. A few forum members posted that their OWP application was returned to them due to not paying both fees.
Regarding which documents to submit along with your spousal sponsorship application question, the spousal sponsorship/PR application is entirely separate from your OWP application. They each will have their own unique application number. I think that we can only submit the spousal sponsorship application (paper packet) by mail, since you have to include several supporting documents (the checklists and forms themselves tell you what supporting documents to include), etc....

In sum, you have the option to submit the spousal sponsorship application AND the OWP application together (paper versions) and send both in the same packet by mail. OR you can apply for you OWP online, and mail your spousal sponsorship application by mail. I submitted everything together as a big packet by mail and was able to get my OWP in about 3.5 months from the date of my applications received, which is about the same time frame that other members have been getting their OWP. You will later be able to link your paper applications online into you CIC account.
Perhaps other members can share their experiences too.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I think you can submit both spousal and OWP together OR submit spousal first, and once it has been received you can apply OWP online. I think I’ll submit both together since that is what everyone is doing. Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate it❤

diamant10

Star Member
Jun 21, 2018
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
1. I´m not sure, but I think that should be fine.
2. Yes we are.
3. So, if you have payed the right amount of fees for the OWP, you should be fine. But, if you want to be safe, you should get a visitor visa extension right now. Let's say that you don't, in case the OWP application is rejected and send back to you, if you do not get it back in time(that will say, if your visa expires before you are able to send back your OWP application for the second time), and you do not have any other visa application going on, you will be out of status. You will then have 90 days to apply for restoration of your status($200,-). The visitor visa extension is only a $100,-, if I remember correctly, and it will give you implied status, in case your OWP app is returned after your visa has expired. I hope this helps you.
Does he need to get the visa extension if he is leaving the country for the month of July? He has been here since October but we have left a few times and his extension gave him till July 22 in his passport. He will be leaving again for the reception and return one week after

diamant10

Star Member
Jun 21, 2018
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
Thank you so much! I think you can submit both spousal and OWP together OR submit spousal first, and once it has been received you can apply OWP online. I think I’ll submit both together since that is what everyone is doing. Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate it❤
We also were rejected on the online owp because we (I mean him) didn’t submit together. I just resubmitted everything in paper the pr and owp. Not sure if bc it’s the second application for owp if it will help the speed

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Thank you so much! I think you can submit both spousal and OWP together OR submit spousal first, and once it has been received you can apply OWP online. I think I’ll submit both together since that is what everyone is doing. Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate it ❤
Yes, submit the apps together and just for clarification, you can only apply for OWP online when you have received AIP for your Spousal Sponsorship.

Reetypd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
Hi guys, hope you all might help!
I sent in the spousal sponsorship application for my husband (principal applicant) which unfortunately came back returned due to a missing document.
Now I will be resending it with the required document, but is there a chance that the officer doesn’t go through the complete application and check for all other missing or required items and that the application get sent back again?
I’m asking because I don’t want to be hasty and just send it back with the one item and then later have another agent check and find something else.
Your suggestions and experiences are welcome!!
Thanks

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
Does he need to get the visa extension if he is leaving the country for the month of July? He has been here since October but we have left a few times and his extension gave him till July 22 in his passport. He will be leaving again for the reception and return one week after
Leaving the country, while being in the application process with CIC, has been the subject of quite some discussions. I personally wouldn´t take the chance, as they might stop you at the border from entering Canada again. If that´s the case, your application will be cancelled immidiately and you will have to start over again. This only applies to you when your current visa has run out. If he leaves and come back before the 22nd of July, it should all be fine, as you say you have done this a few times before.

Nevertheless, if he comes back after the 22nd of July, I did read that there might be a way. You´ll have to search for it on this forum, I think it even was in this thread a few pages back. It said something like that if you could show that you are on implied status, through specific documents, they should let you enter Canada again.

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
Hi guys, hope you all might help!
I sent in the spousal sponsorship application for my husband (principal applicant) which unfortunately came back returned due to a missing document.
Now I will be resending it with the required document, but is there a chance that the officer doesn’t go through the complete application and check for all other missing or required items and that the application get sent back again?
I’m asking because I don’t want to be hasty and just send it back with the one item and then later have another agent check and find something else.
Your suggestions and experiences are welcome!!
Thanks
The letter that came with your application that was send back will tell you what documents CIC requires. If you follow this, everything should be fine. Once they have send it back, it means that they have gone through your whole application, saw the missing documents, and now only require those missing documents to be added to the rest of your application package. Reread the letter, and follow what they´re asking for. Make copies for yourself as well.

Reetypd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
The letter that came with your application that was send back will tell you what documents CIC requires. If you follow this, everything should be fine. Once they have send it back, it means that they have gone through your whole application, saw the missing documents, and now only require those missing documents to be added to the rest of your application package. Reread the letter, and follow what they´re asking for. Make copies for yourself as well.
Would you recommend that I also send back this letter they sent to me requesting the 1 missing document? Just so there is a record that only 1 was missing and it is now included .

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
Would you recommend that I also send back this letter they sent to me requesting the 1 missing document? Just so there is a record that only 1 was missing and it is now included .
Yes, I’m pretty sure they’re asking for a copy of that letter, right at the end, don’t they?

diamant10

Star Member
Jun 21, 2018
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
Leaving the country, while being in the application process with CIC, has been the subject of quite some discussions. I personally wouldn´t take the chance, as they might stop you at the border from entering Canada again. If that´s the case, your application will be cancelled immidiately and you will have to start over again. This only applies to you when your current visa has run out. If he leaves and come back before the 22nd of July, it should all be fine, as you say you have done this a few times before.

Nevertheless, if he comes back after the 22nd of July, I did read that there might be a way. You´ll have to search for it on this forum, I think it even was in this thread a few pages back. It said something like that if you could show that you are on implied status, through specific documents, they should let you enter Canada again.
We have our reception so we have to leave we have 200 guests in France. So I guess we have to do the extension or the 6 month extension

MMPL

Nov 24, 2015
CAN NOT ABLE TO LINK MY APPLICATION

I Do have questions?

1) We have an agent as a representative. So the Only agent can link our application or we can as well? I do have UCI Number and Application Number.

2) I tried so many different combinations each time I am getting no application found an error. I know one tricky part is Number of Family member of a family member are 2

and Current marital status is Single?

Any other Tips For link application???

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
CAN NOT ABLE TO LINK MY APPLICATION

I Do have questions?

1) We have an agent as a representative. So the Only agent can link our application or we can as well? I do have UCI Number and Application Number.

2) I tried so many different combinations each time I am getting no application found an error. I know one tricky part is Number of Family member of a family member are 2

and Current marital status is Single?

Any other Tips For link application???
I’m not entirely sure whether you can also link your account, or if only the agent can do. Your marital status should be married or common-law partner, I assume, as we’re all applying here through that.

The definition of family members, by CIC;
A spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child (grandchild), who plans to immigrate to Canada with the principal applicant. Accompanying family membersare included on the application.

So if it’s just you, and you’re sponsored by your spouse.....I thought it was 1, but now I’m starting to doubt, it’s been a while. Give it both a shot next time!

diamant10

Star Member
Jun 21, 2018
Alberta
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-08-2018
When are you leaving and when are you coming back?
he is leaving July 4 coming back the end of July one week after the reception. he is going a bit earlier to iron out the last details (we married in march but didn't submit until last week and this is the formal reception for family and friends). I am going only for one week as I have to work. I included the family plane tickets and returns in the sponsor package, but I know they likely wont get to that yet. if its in que and not rejected he should be implied. I just don't want issues for him on the way back. the marriage part is actually a pain in the butt given that he is French he not looking for a passport, he actually just want to be here and working so we are together.