+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

i_adrianes

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Even if you were on a visit permit, you may restore your status as a worker. I was on a study permit and I restored my status as a worker. Please see: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

I submitted just ONE imm5710 for both OWP and Restoration and paid $255 plus $200. If you can download the said form, you will see what I meant with choosing Restore Status as a Worker and Initial Permit.

hi @iamvenus i am paying fees today. when paying for the restoration? which fee do i select? restore your status as a visitor @ $200 or the one with restore your status as a worker $355?

nb808

Mar 12, 2018
My OWP was approved in CIC and I received the confirmation letter in my messages.

Timeline:

Submitted OWP and PR on Feb 6th
OWP returned due to insufficient fees - resubmitted to Vegreville on March 16th
OWP "in review" in CIC on June 6th
OWP approval in CIC on June 8th
OWP approval letter in messages on June 9th

nb808

Mar 12, 2018
I am not sure to be honest lol I would assume it would come to us...but who knows...maybe someone who is using a lawyer can let me know?! :p

And thank you! I will definitely do that. Hope you get yours soon!
You paid your lawyer for this service, correct? So you are more than entitled to send a "checking in" email asking for a status update on your application.

nb808

Mar 12, 2018
If your MP submits a status request update on your behalf, they are legally required to receive an update from IRCC.

You do need your UCI number though, so if you are using an attorney you can ask them for it before you contact your MP. I went in to the office of our MP, and his secretary sent an email while I was waiting. She forwarded me the response when they received it about 5 days later.

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
got you! i got confused abit because i was thinking that the $355 is for old work permit holders and the $200 (restore status as visitor) for visitors. anyway i will do that.
Doesn't matter which status you had prior. You can restore your status as a worker, even as a student (not that it's applicable to you, just saying ;)).

Baharm

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
There are other forums and sooo many posts talking about that and everyone will probably tell you the same thing as we have in the last posts. I understand if you're not willing to just take people's word for it, and that the wording of the links we've already shared with you aren't exactly as what you're looking for. But I honestly don't think you'll find anything with that wording from these forums. I read about this same question in the 2017 forum when I was in that situation and read other posts about it in other forums and lots of posts that come up when you google this, and found no official reference that says "a visitor who submitted application for in-Canada sponsorship and OWP is not obliged to extend visitor status". The language is usually vague, as most legal documents are so maybe you'd be more reassured if you confirm with a lawyer :)

My question is different. I want to see any official reference that a visitor who submitted application for in-Canada sponsorship and OWP is not obliged to extend visitor status. So far, everything that I can see says that implied status is obtained only if you apply to extend the same status (i.e. visor, worker, student). There is no reference so far that you have an implied status if you applied to change your status.

godmustbecrazy

Jan 31, 2018
Anyone from Jan or last year applicants have any news on the PR principal approval?

Have heard that the principal approvals are coming in 9-10 months for 2017 applications instead of a standard 12 month wait. Any news on that?

Last edited: