2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Jawedi!

To be honest I am not sure. We are using a lawyer as well and were advised not to link either one. However if that's what your lawyer said, I would suggest try just using your UCI number from your AOR to link (as that's what I've seen other people do) and then fill in the rest of the information. The category I remember reading to select was "Work Permit"...but its probably best to wait for someone else to reply as I read that a few weeks back.
Your Lawyer advised you not to link because your Lawyer will link to THEIR account. Hiring a lawyer is same as appointing a representative so they need to know if CIC is requesting or advising anything.
If you try and link your account too will screw it all up.

Reactions: Michyy

BarryB

May 22, 2018
Hey,

Looking for some Help! I am sponsoring my wife who lives with me in Canada (she is originally from the Ukraine) our application was received Aug 10 2017. She did the medical and passed it in mid April and since then nothing. I know that isn't shocking for this process, but they still need to do the background check and eligibility check. Does this seem like it will be done within the 1 year timeline compared to others?

My wife wants to go home and visit her family and friends obviously but we are hesitant to buy tickets with no information to go off of?

Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
Barry

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Hi all,

My husband and I got married in january of this year. I wanted to renew my passport with his last name since it will expire this November but it will take approximately 6 months to have it changed from my country and we got our marriage certificate in March. So if I will do the name change, it will be done by September and my spousal application will be submitted by October and mind you my open work permit (PGWP) with my passport will expire on November. Should I be worried that my new passport that will be used for the spousal sponsorship that I will submit by June is still under my lastname before marriage?
And lastly, I am still holding an open work permit (PGWP) until November. When I submit my spousal application, will I also submit an OWP application or just change status or extend my OWP/PGWP?

empatio

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Hey,

Looking for some Help! I am sponsoring my wife who lives with me in Canada (she is originally from the Ukraine) our application was received Aug 10 2017. She did the medical and passed it in mid April and since then nothing. I know that isn't shocking for this process, but they still need to do the background check and eligibility check. Does this seem like it will be done within the 1 year timeline compared to others?

My wife wants to go home and visit her family and friends obviously but we are hesitant to buy tickets with no information to go off of?

Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks
Barry
Hi Barry,

look at this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-in-land-applications-2017-timeline-and-updates.468962/page-600

I applied on June 7th 2017 and after medicals no new updates, eligibility hasn't started yet and it's been almost a full year. It seems like for most people it's actually taking full 12 months. I hope we'll hear good news soon.

KoalaKimi

Apr 25, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Our application for in-Canada common-law sponsorship was returned due to absence of a police certificate. CIC initially received our application on April 20, but was returned today. :(

Two questions about police certificates under form IMM 5589 section 4, "Police Certificates and Clearances":

1. The application checklist indicates that we need to obtain a criminal record check for "the country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more, and the country where you have spent the most of your life since the age of 18". Both of those countries were in Canada. I left China shortly after turning 18 (December 26, 2011), and have lived in Canada since. Do I still need to submit a police certificate from China? If so, will a certificate from October 27, 2011 suffice, given that I have not returned to China for more than six months since turning 18?

2. If we checked off "Canadian Police Certificates" given that I lived in Canada for most of my life since the age of 18, do I need to request a police certificate myself, or should I wait for IRCC to request it for me? Do I need a consent form?

Thank you for your help.

- KoalaKimi

Vivian-inland

May 1, 2018
Our application for in-Canada common-law sponsorship was returned due to absence of a police certificate. CIC initially received our application on April 20, but was returned today. :(

Two questions about police certificates under form IMM 5589 section 4, "Police Certificates and Clearances":

1. The application checklist indicates that we need to obtain a criminal record check for "the country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more, and the country where you have spent the most of your life since the age of 18". Both of those countries were in Canada. I left China shortly after turning 18 (December 26, 2011), and have lived in Canada since. Do I still need to submit a police certificate from China? If so, will a certificate from October 27, 2011 suffice, given that I have not returned to China for more than six months since turning 18?

2. If we checked off "Canadian Police Certificates" given that I lived in Canada for most of my life since the age of 18, do I need to request a police certificate myself, or should I wait for IRCC to request it for me? Do I need a consent form?

Thank you for your help.

- KoalaKimi

I do know you need an China Police certificate, did you provide this when you send out your application?

But for Canada one I wasn't sure. Hope other people know about that.

Visalakshi

Oct 24, 2017
Hi,
In application form IMM0008, What should I mention for Current Occupation and Intended Occupation in EDUCATION/OCCUPATION Detail?

Vivian-inland

May 1, 2018
One other question - is waiting 7 weeks for an AOR normal? I’m seeing lots of folks on here with 4 week processing times. It’s making me nervous that our application will be refused.
BWT, have you check both email ? sometimes the file number could be send to your husband, or yours.

Lovejit Singh

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
I sponsor my wife and file was received on March 1, they request fro PCC after that. I just attach Police clearence from India.
It already 3 months and i do not get any other notification.

My concern do i need RCMP Police clearence or not ?
If yes then what i have to do now ?

They also write this:

 At this time, you need to provide a police certificate for:
1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and
2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.

You must also provide this for every family member (whether accompanying you to Canada or not) who is aged 18 or older. Please refer to your application guide for a definition of “family member”. This must be received at this office by: 2018/05/04

Please advice ?

sg1991

Feb 2, 2016
Hi Guys,

My Husband's file shows as rec. on Feb 02. We are still waiting for OWP. Is there anyone with similar timeline who is still waiting for OWP? On June 02, it will be exactly four months. What should we do then? Please suggest.

roysk

Jan 3, 2018
Hi Guys,

My Husband's file shows as rec. on Feb 02. We are still waiting for OWP. Is there anyone with similar timeline who is still waiting for OWP? On June 02, it will be exactly four months. What should we do then? Please suggest.
Phone them after June 2 as it marks the four month period. Some first week of february applicants are still waiting for their OWP. I am a Feb 1 applicant and my owp was approved last May 8. Hope yours will come next week either tuesday or wednesday. Thats usually the pattern.

JCVan2018

May 11, 2018
Hi Guys,

My application was received on Feb 14 and I am also still waiting for OWP. I am curious to know why applications received at around the same time by CIC have different approval timeline. Some are approved quite quickly (3 months or less) and some take longer. Fingers crossed... I hope the rest of us Feb applicants will receive news of our OWP approval soon.

sharon2019

May 23, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am the Feb 8th applicant, but my OWP link shows my file was received on Feb 2, and I am still waiting for my OWP approval email.