+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2017 Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
1,231
493
sunbaoqun said:
Hi,
I was invited to submit an application for parents sponsorship. Can I sponsor my mother-in-law other than my parent?

I may have made a mistake because my wife and I actually wanted to sponsor my wife's mother, but it's me submitted the online form to show the interest, not my wife. Now I have been selected and I am wondering if I can sponsor my wife's mother?


Thanks
CIC did select you didn't they? It means you should be eligible. If you don't apply you will not know for sure whether you can sponsor your mother-in-law. You should not waste your spot. Please apply and try or else you would not be helping your mother-in-law. You never know if you can be selected in the next draw or not.
 

YULIA-2016

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2015
2,932
760
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
Jan.2016
AOR Received.
June 2016
File Transfer...
Jan.2017
Med's Request
First June 06-2017 from Warsaw ; Second 26 July 2018 from London
Med's Done....
Sep 27 2018
Passport Req..
DM Sep 29 2018, PPR Oct 01 2018
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 10 2018
nayr69sg said:
CIC did select you didn't they? It means you should be eligible. If you don't apply you will not know for sure whether you can sponsor your mother-in-law. You should not waste your spot. Please apply and try or else you would not be helping your mother-in-law. You never know if you can be selected in the next draw or not.
so sad when people cant even read the rules ;)
 

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
1,231
493
YULIA-2016 said:
so sad when people cant even read the rules ;)
For those who entered the draw without giving so much as thought about whether they were eligible FIRST and then robbed others who are eligible of a spot, don't you think it is only fair that they apply? Apply find out for certain if they are eligible or not. If it means forfeiting their money and then being barred from entering the draw again, it will teach them a lesson not to enter the draw unless they have already read the rules deemed themselves eligible, prepared a valid application package and then enter the draw again.

Otherwise.....they will just do the same next year and possibly rob someone else of a spot.

For all you know out of the 95,000 how many were actually serious applicants and how many may have been disgruntled Canadians who were trying to reduce the PGP intake for 2017?
 

LaniLee

Member
Apr 27, 2017
13
0
95,000 applicants for the lottery while there were only 14,000 last year? I wonder how many are actually going to submit their application and risk the $1050 this year? I'm starting to think that increasing from 5,000 to 10,000 then changing to lottery system was just a trick so less people will actually be qualified for the parent's sponsorship program?

see this petition to change lottery system
petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-739
 

soonihope

Champion Member
May 18, 2013
1,056
26
nayr69sg said:
For those who entered the draw without giving so much as thought about whether they were eligible FIRST and then robbed others who are eligible of a spot, don't you think it is only fair that they apply? Apply find out for certain if they are eligible or not. If it means forfeiting their money and then being barred from entering the draw again, it will teach them a lesson not to enter the draw unless they have already read the rules deemed themselves eligible, prepared a valid application package and then enter the draw again.

Otherwise.....they will just do the same next year and possibly rob someone else of a spot.

For all you know out of the 95,000 how many were actually serious applicants and how many may have been disgruntled Canadians who were trying to reduce the PGP intake for 2017?
Even if they were disgruntled Canadians charge them the $1000 or so fee regardless of whether they now submit an application and very quickly time wasters will be eliminated from the count. If people knew they would have to pay then they would be more careful before entering the lottery. All 10000 people selected in this lottery should be forced to pay the sponsorship fee of about $1000 regardless of their circumstances. If you entered the draw and have been selected then make all these sponsors pay a fee now.

Those who are genuine applicants will have no problems with the fee which would have been applicable anyway. Those who just wasted a space will think carefully before submitting again should the system remain the same for next year.
 

deerestlovelybear

Hero Member
Jan 20, 2015
712
198
So from all the credible sources including MP, they will draw again for those not submitting applications in 90 days. however again income is not checked and it is from the same pool :( This is incredibly stupid
 

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
64,511
8,826
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LaniLee said:
95,000 applicants for the lottery while there were only 14,000 last year? I wonder how many are actually going to submit their application and risk the $1050 this year? I'm starting to think that increasing from 5,000 to 10,000 then changing to lottery system was just a trick so less people will actually be qualified for the parent's sponsorship program?

see this petition to change lottery system
petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-739
FYI - there weren't only 14K last year. There were far more than that. That's just when CIC stopped accepting applications. The 14K was just the number of applications received within the first three days.
 

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
1,231
493
Suggestion to CIC

1) all selected are expected to submit an application. If one is selected and no application is submitted they are barred from taking part in lottery for next 2 years.

2) if you submit an application and are found to be ineligible, you are also barred from the lottery for the next 2 years. Application fees will be refunded if you are deemed ineligible.

This will ensure people review their situation properly before entering the draw. Failing that they will be given 2 years to re-evaluate their situation before taking part in the draw.
 

deerestlovelybear

Hero Member
Jan 20, 2015
712
198
nayr69sg said:
Suggestion to CIC

1) all selected are expected to submit an application. If one is selected and no application is submitted they are barred from taking part in lottery for next 2 years.

2) if you submit an application and are found to be ineligible, you are also barred from the lottery for the next 2 years. Application fees will be refunded if you are deemed ineligible.

This will ensure people review their situation properly before entering the draw. Failing that they will be given 2 years to re-evaluate their situation before taking part in the draw.
just require SIN and income details and charge a fee for lottery and we will see the true number
 

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
5,627
1,927
just require SIN and income details and charge a fee for lottery and we will see the true number
Better yet, just limit the applications to naturalized Canadians! At least they have shown a commitment to the country by applying for citizenship and they have a vested interest in what happens.
 

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
1,231
493
deerestlovelybear said:
just require SIN and income details and charge a fee for lottery and we will see the true number
Well the reason put out by CIC for having the lottery is that people with more resources have an unfair advantage. So if you charge fees then there will be complaints about the fee being too expensive or accusations that it is a money grab and say if you have tried for 5 years and spent $50 each year it can add up. Plus it doesn't really solve the point that people should review whether they are eligible in the first place.

Require SIN and income details. No fee. If the application that comes in after being selected shows ineligibility, that SIN is barred from entering lottery for next 2 years.
 

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
1,231
493
Buletruck said:
Better yet, just limit the applications to naturalized Canadians! At least they have shown a commitment to the country by applying for citizenship and they have a vested interest in what happens.
I like your idea! Naturalized citizens have 3 years of NOAs and are more likely to meet requirements.

It also sounds politically pleasing.
 

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
64,511
8,826
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nayr69sg said:
I like your idea! Naturalized citizens have 3 years of NOAs and are more likely to meet requirements.

It also sounds politically pleasing.
That's actually how it works in the US. You can't sponsor your parents until you are a US citizen.
 

deerestlovelybear

Hero Member
Jan 20, 2015
712
198
Buletruck said:
I knew I was too smart to be a politician! 8)
The best and fairest way is to have a point based systems for parents like express entry and the points are allocated on merits of sponsors and parents themselve