Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
3-APR-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-APR-2010
LANDED..........
15-08-2010
Hi all,

I thought I'd revive a previous thread that seemed very helpful at the time (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/oath-timeline-for-mississauga-test-745am-t242723.0.html;msg3531301#msg3531301). If there is anyone else out there in the same boat (7:45am/Mississauga), maybe we can connect here or maybe you can read what I write here and it'll be helpful in some way. 8)

I am taking my test on Friday @7:45am in Mississauga and will share my experiences here and in the August 2014 Applicants thread. I am not so nervous about the test, it's the interview that scares me!

Timeline in signature below.

Some relevant other details: Didn't get RQed. Single applicant from Toronto. Married to a Canadian. Don't have a "perfect" application: missing air travel stamps from US trips (as stated in forum, common for border guards to not stamp for US trips but this seems more common for land travel, so I don't know) - I have a multiple entry visitor's visa to the States, some CBSA stamps missing too (but from PR card being scanned likely). In total, I left Canada something like 5 times and accurately reported on 4/5 times - one time, I didn't put the correct date down so I'm bringing a revised online calculation sheet. I "clear" the residence requirement by 11 months, however, with 1437 days of physical presence. In the four years prior, had two passports with one lapsing for one year before I renewed (didn't travel). In terms of "extra documentation," I'm going to be bringing my itineraries, boarding passes, marriage certificate and NOAs for relevant time as I submitted these docs with my original application.

They say that if you're gonna get RQed, there's no avoiding it so I'm just trying to keep positive and studying my butt off for the part that I CAN ace.

How I'm studying: there's online tests and I've been reading the Discover Canada book. Some have suggested to also listen to the audio book but I find the voices pretty distracting so I'm sticking to the book.

Will let everyone know how out it goes! Good luck and if you're in the same/similar situation as me and feel like sharing and commenting, would love to know your experiences!

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Re: 2015: Oath timeline for Mississauga test @ 7:45am

melissaida said:
Hi all,

I thought I'd revive a previous thread that seemed very helpful at the time (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/oath-timeline-for-mississauga-test-745am-t242723.0.html;msg3531301#msg3531301). If there is anyone else out there in the same boat (7:45am/Mississauga), maybe we can connect here or maybe you can read what I write here and it'll be helpful in some way. 8)

I am taking my test on Friday @ 7:45am in Mississauga and will share my experiences here and in the August 2014 Applicants thread. I am not so nervous about the test, it's the interview that scares me!

Timeline in signature below.

Some relevant other details: Didn't get RQed. Single applicant from Toronto. Married to a Canadian. Don't have a "perfect" application: missing air travel stamps from US trips (as stated in forum, common for border guards to not stamp for US trips but this seems more common for land travel, so I don't know) - I have a multiple entry visitor's visa to the States, some CBSA stamps missing too (but from PR card being scanned likely). In total, I left Canada something like 5 times and accurately reported on 4/5 times - one time, I didn't put the correct date down so I'm bringing a revised online calculation sheet. I "clear" the residence requirement by 11 months, however, with 1437 days of physical presence. In the four years prior, had two passports with one lapsing for one year before I renewed (didn't travel). In terms of "extra documentation," I'm going to be bringing my itineraries, boarding passes, marriage certificate and NOAs for relevant time as I submitted these docs with my original application.

They say that if you're gonna get RQed, there's no avoiding it so I'm just trying to keep positive and studying my butt off for the part that I CAN ace.

How I'm studying: there's online tests and I've been reading the Discover Canada book. Some have suggested to also listen to the audio book but I find the voices pretty distracting so I'm sticking to the book.

Will let everyone know how out it goes! Good luck and if you're in the same/similar situation as me and feel like sharing and commenting, would love to know your experiences!
Would be great you sharing the experience; I am scheduled with my wife Feb 13 at 7:45 at Glen Erin in Mississauga.

Good luck!

melissaida

Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
3-APR-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-APR-2010
LANDED..........
15-08-2010

I took my test today at Mississauga @7:45am. Here's an account of my experience:

I got there 15min prior, was dropped off, but I did see that there's parking in the back. The waiting room was full and most everyone was studying or very quiet (I mean, it was 7:45am). At around 7:45 they ushered us into the test-taking room.

The Test: Very easy. I finished it in under 2min and was the first to bring it up and wait outside the room. Read the Discover Canada book and do these practice tests:

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/
http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/toronto_ontario_canada_citizenship_test.php

And you'll be fine. But read the Discover Canada book! Do this a few times, and you'll do ok!

The Interview: Mine was incredibly short, I was shocked actually. Interview was very "neutral" - I've seen accounts that they're mostly friendly - this person was just very neutral. Interviewer flipped through my application, asked me where my parents were, where my siblings were, how I met my spouse, status in the states, job, all the regular stuff you would expect. The thing that I found very surprising is that even though I had prepared and prepared an explanation as to why I put the wrong date down in my residence calculator (I didn't have the stamp so I miscalculated the date, but I did have the boarding pass) - didn't ask about it. I got the feeling that it was all very routine, and they had already moved me through. All in all, very efficient.

Also, although I brought all my documents, the interviewer was not interested in anything except my identity documents. I will say that having my marriage certificate on me was a good because I actually blanked on the exact date of my marriage! ;D

I would say that I was really nervous going into this process and didn't expect it to be as smooth as it was. So, my advice, based on my experience, is to come prepared with all the mandatory documents (everything in the test notice) and bring your secondary support documents if it makes you feel better. It helped me be more confident that's for sure.

My impression was that if you make it to the test, they're really just going to verify your identity. If you have a lot of travel, they may ask you about it in detail (other posts on this forum are better for that information, I had only done a few trips to the States). If you've been unemployed, be prepared to talk about it a little bit.

Good luck everyone!

wanderfall

Jan 19, 2015

How did you receive your oath so soon?
Missisauga office sure is fast

melissaida

Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
3-APR-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-APR-2010
LANDED..........
15-08-2010

I'm seeing reports on this forum that lots of folks get the letter on the day of the test, but then lots don't - seems like a crapshoot!

wanderfall said:
How did you receive your oath so soon?
Missisauga office sure is fast

NigerianCanadian

Aug 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Very helpful. Thanks for sharing Melissaida.

We have pretty similar timelines and travel history. I have my test next week. I am now looking forward to mine.

melissaida said:
I took my test today at Mississauga @ 7:45am. Here's an account of my experience:

I got there 15min prior, was dropped off, but I did see that there's parking in the back. The waiting room was full and most everyone was studying or very quiet (I mean, it was 7:45am). At around 7:45 they ushered us into the test-taking room.

The Test: Very easy. I finished it in under 2min and was the first to bring it up and wait outside the room. Read the Discover Canada book and do these practice tests:

And you'll be fine. But read the Discover Canada book! Do this a few times, and you'll do ok!

The Interview: Mine was incredibly short, I was shocked actually. Interview was very "neutral" - I've seen accounts that they're mostly friendly - this person was just very neutral. Interviewer flipped through my application, asked me where my parents were, where my siblings were, how I met my spouse, status in the states, job, all the regular stuff you would expect. The thing that I found very surprising is that even though I had prepared and prepared an explanation as to why I put the wrong date down in my residence calculator (I didn't have the stamp so I miscalculated the date, but I did have the boarding pass) - didn't ask about it. I got the feeling that it was all very routine, and they had already moved me through. All in all, very efficient.

Also, although I brought all my documents, the interviewer was not interested in anything except my identity documents. I will say that having my marriage certificate on me was a good because I actually blanked on the exact date of my marriage! ;D

I would say that I was really nervous going into this process and didn't expect it to be as smooth as it was. So, my advice, based on my experience, is to come prepared with all the mandatory documents (everything in the test notice) and bring your secondary support documents if it makes you feel better. It helped me be more confident that's for sure.

My impression was that if you make it to the test, they're really just going to verify your identity. If you have a lot of travel, they may ask you about it in detail (other posts on this forum are better for that information, I had only done a few trips to the States). If you've been unemployed, be prepared to talk about it a little bit.

Good luck everyone!

melissaida

Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
3-APR-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-APR-2010
LANDED..........
15-08-2010

Hi NigerianCanadian - good luck on the test! In my case, they handed out the letter of invitation to take the oath on the same day (some waiting, of course but that's ok). I hope the same for you!

NigerianCanadian said:
Very helpful. Thanks for sharing Melissaida.

We have pretty similar timelines and travel history. I have my test next week. I am now looking forward to mine. Hope your oath letter comes soon!

era1521

Oct 7, 2014

melissaida said:
I took my test today at Mississauga @ 7:45am. Here's an account of my experience:

Good luck everyone!
So you're not a US national.
Thanks for details.

melissaida

Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
3-APR-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-APR-2010
LANDED..........
15-08-2010

Nope, just a visitor so I can visit my family there! And I went to school - undergrad/grad - interview did touch on my status but it was all very cordial and quick.

love bird 43

Aug 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

melissaida said:

Good luck everyone!
good