+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

20 photos to proof the relationship?

A_khan25

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
I have to send 20 photos from our wedding and honeymoon with the forms. It says write a brief description at the back. Do I have to write the names and relationship with the people that are in the pictures? Or just a brief description as what is happening in the picture, the location and date?

bian07

May 19, 2017
I added a brief description and also who was included on the pictures and how they are related to me and my boyfriend

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I sent screenshots of photos from my Facebook, that way each photo came with a date/timestamp, and the comments from friends and family confirmed the authenticity of our relationship. Below every screenshot, I added:

1. A description (ex. Trip to Switzerland, Summer 2018)
2. The names and relationship of other people in the photo (ex. Bob Smith, Father of John Smith (applicant))

I also made sure to send photos from a variety of events, to show we've been doing a lot of trips and activities together. I feel like if an officer got a file where most photos came from a wedding ceremony, it could look suspicious.

Reactions: YVR123 and A_khan25

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

It says this on the checklist: provide a maximum of 20 photographs to support your relationship (taken at different times and places)

Does this mean that there can only be ONE photo per wedding event? Some people are doing like 4 photos per wedding event but I think you're not supposed to?

Reactions: JohnnyToronto

bian07

May 19, 2017
Hello,

It says this on the checklist: provide a maximum of 20 photographs to support your relationship (taken at different times and places)

Does this mean that there can only be ONE photo per wedding event? Some people are doing like 4 photos per wedding event but I think you're not supposed to?
You can do more than 1 for the wedding but its better to have a large diversity and including pictures with relatives and shared friends is a good idea

RedBanzino

Jul 28, 2022
I haven't been in person with my girlfriend (who I'm sponsoring), and i'm able to sponsor in every other aspect other than providing pictures of us together, pls help ;,)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have to send 20 photos from our wedding and honeymoon with the forms. It says write a brief description at the back. Do I have to write the names and relationship with the people that are in the pictures? Or just a brief description as what is happening in the picture, the location and date?
Use common sense - you do want to normally identify event, and those who are in photo if significant (eg brother, parents, best friend if relevant - but not a waiter, not necessary to name all random people). Location - again, if relevant (vacation in Croatia - yes, some random restaurant - not). Year/month - again, if relevant (if you're claiming two year relationship and only have photos from last week, won't be very convincing.)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I haven't been in person with my girlfriend (who I'm sponsoring), and i'm able to sponsor in every other aspect other than providing pictures of us together, pls help ;,)
How can you sponsor someone who you have not met in person?
You cannot be in a common law relationship if you haven't been in person with her.
You cannot be married if you haven't been in person with her. (proxy marriage is not recongized)

So.... I failed to understand your question. Do you mean that you haven't been in person recently or you have never seen her in person physically.

RedBanzino

Jul 28, 2022
How can you sponsor someone who you have not met in person?
You cannot be in a common law relationship if you haven't been in person with her.
You cannot be married if you haven't been in person with her. (proxy marriage is not recongized)

So.... I failed to understand your question. Do you mean that you haven't been in person recently or you have never seen her in person physically.
Canada accepts Conjugal partners alongside spousal and common-law sponsorships.
As our long distance relationship expands beyond 1 year, our only obstacle is the border restrictions with not being able to see eachother physically.

"A conjugal partner is: a person who is living outside Canada, in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and. could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation)."
- From Canada.ca

Reactions: Readytogo1010

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

"A conjugal partner is: a person who is living outside Canada, in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and. could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation)."
- From Canada.ca
insomehow doubt the intent of conjugal is to supply a means of sponsorship to someone you have never actually met. It a means to sponsor a partner (whom you have met) in circumstances where long term cohabitation isn’t possible.

Reactions: YVR123 and Ponga

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As our long distance relationship expands beyond 1 year, our only obstacle is the border restrictions with not being able to see eachother physically.

- From Canada.ca
You'll be refused if you haven't physically met, that is a requirement.

You may want to look at this in more detail:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-conjugal.html

"The key to assessing the conjugal partnership category is that neither common-law partner status nor marriage is possible, usually because of marital status or sexual orientation, combined with an immigration barrier."

You need a barrier to common-law or marital status combined with an immigration barrier.

Reactions: Buletruck and Ponga

RedBanzino

Jul 28, 2022
You'll be refused if you haven't physically met, that is a requirement.

You may want to look at this in more detail:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-conjugal.html

"The key to assessing the conjugal partnership category is that neither common-law partner status nor marriage is possible, usually because of marital status or sexual orientation, combined with an immigration barrier."

You need a barrier to common-law or marital status combined with an immigration barrier.
Canada has insanely dictatorship-style border control in regards to the covid-vaccine. She (principal applicant), is not vaccinated, therefore is her entry barrier. She may not enter Canada without vax (unless is citizen or PR), therefore we cannot meet, or cannot provide photos for proof of relationship unless we have PR in the first place. It's a tricky situation, however I've gone over the link you sent and I see no issues, no direct mention or implication that we must have met in person.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please note I have no personal stake in this, and I wish you good luck if you choose to apply in current circumstances/file as described - but I think your application as conjugal will be refused on several grounds.

Canada has insanely dictatorship-style border control in regards to the covid-vaccine. She (principal applicant), is not vaccinated, therefore is her entry barrier.
Basis for refusal will be, she could get vaccinated, or you could travel to her country to get married.

You have not demonstrated any legal barrier that I can see to marriage, either.

It's a tricky situation, however I've gone over the link you sent and I see no issues, no direct mention or implication that we must have met in person.
I thought I had a reference that spelled this out explicitly but can't seem to find.

But the simple answer is: conjugal partner requires a conjugal relationship. And a conjugal relationship is commonly held to mean a number of things, including having a physical relationship. You can ask a lawyer if you wish. This is the implication that you must have met in person.

Easier perhaps to understand the analogy: to qualify as having a married relationship by IRCC, couple must have physically met - proxy marriages are not recognized. Common-law: well, by definition, have lived together. Common element: physical presence.

And again by definition: conjugal relationships are 'marriage like.' If you have not met, it is not marriage-like.

I repeat: up to you. But I feel quite confident in saying, personal opinion, that your application as it stands will be refused. Good luck though.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada has insanely dictatorship-style border control in regards to the covid-vaccine. She (principal applicant), is not vaccinated, therefore is her entry barrier. She may not enter Canada without vax (unless is citizen or PR), therefore we cannot meet, or cannot provide photos for proof of relationship unless we have PR in the first place. It's a tricky situation, however I've gone over the link you sent and I see no issues, no direct mention or implication that we must have met in person.
You don't even recognize her as your conjugal partner. You said this in your first post in this thread:
I haven't been in person with my girlfriend (who I'm sponsoring)...

Canada is far from a dictator-stlye ANYTHING! Sorry that Covid has impacted your plans, but don't blame Canada!

I suspect that many...perhaps most people really didn't want to get the vaccine, but after weighing the pros and cons, those that did had an easier time `living' somewhat of a pseudo-normal/pre-Covid life again. She could have chosen to get the vaccine, but did/has not. Why do you feel that that is a true immigration barrier?

Go ahead, apply. Pay the fees and then don't be surprised when your application is denied. Oh...and they don't offer a refund, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Readytogo1010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is preventing you from visiting her or meeting in a 3rd country? Agree with others that if proxy marriages aren’t accepted why would relationships where you have never met be accepted?