+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 years study-Just 1 year PGWP

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
I had completed two years of study, each year from a separate but recognized college in Canada and was totally eligible for three years work permit. My first program was graduate certificate in Corporate Communication and Public Relations and my second program was graduate certificate in International Business Management from Seneca College without much gap. We had eight courses for first sem and five courses plus field placement in second sem for Fanshawe. In first sem, each course had 3 credits while in second sem too, each course had 3 credits but field placement had 7 credits. Total credit units for Fanshawe College in first semester were 24 and second semester were 22.
We had seven courses in both first and second sem for Seneca. In both first and second sem, each course had 5 credits. Total credit units for Seneca College in first sem are 35 and second sem are also 35. I guess there's no issue with course credits.

But, I was shocked to see that I just got one year work permit after having invested so much money into education. I got my PGWP on January 27 2016 until January 26 2017.

I called CIC toll-free number and they verified my application and put a note to the visa processing centre. The agents have strongly discouraged my from reapplying PGWP cuz they told it's just a one-time thing. I ain't sure about that. Also, I have ordered my case notes and submitted a case-specific enquiry online. I'm just waiting for a reply from CIC either in the form of case notes, reply to the note or a reply to case-specific enquiry.

I had ordered case notes on Feb 4 and submitted a case-specific enquiry on Feb 15. Does anyone know the processing time for any of these? As far as the note put by the CIC agent is concerned, they said it can take anywhere from a month to three months for CIC to reply.

Eligibility for PGWP link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

In this link, there is a statement: Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Doesn't that allow one year graduate certificate from a participating college and another graduate certificate from a different college to be eligible for a 3 years work permit?

I have read somewhere that I can ask for correction of my PGWP on the toll-free number and it's for $30. Can someone elaborate on that. Someone also said that I can do flagpoling. I request you guys to please help me explore my possibilities of obtaining a three year PGWP.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Jashan brae said:
Msatish was ur work visa extended???
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/2-years-study-just-1-year-pgwp-t400488.0.html;msg5546999#msg5546999